Denon - Out of the Loop

vandec54

Hello All

I've neglected my audio too long (10+ years) and in that time I've lost touch with the latest and greatest. I am going to upgrade my receiver with a Denon. A quick search on Denon's site led me to a few models. I want to spend under a $1,000. I would love to spend closer to $500 but could easily be convinced to spend closer to a grand if I am getting my money's worth. Here are the models I saw, please comment on them and which one I should get. My system is used for home theater, movie watching. Thank you

AVR-791 = $499
AVR-891 = $799
AVR-1911 = $599
AVR-2311CI = $899

I currently own the AVR-3310ci which I recently upgraded from the AVR-790. The sound quality from the upgrade was quit significant. Most likely due to the extra wattage of an additional 30 watts per channel, all the sounds just had much more seperation. I would break down what is most important to you. Denon has basically two lines of receivers. For instance, my AVR3310ci is the same receiver as the AVR990, it just has added features mostely for multi-room functionality. Another example is comparing the AVR-791 to the AVR-1911. They both have the same amount of watts per channel and same processing, yet the 1911 cost about $100 more. Why? A few more features that you may not be interested in since this is your movie receiver. The 1911 gives you a HD radio tuner and has pre outs for zone 2 so that you can run a second zone and use a seperate amplifier. Cool features, but something that you may not be interested in. My thoughts? If this is mainly for your theater room, i would try and scope out the AVR-991. It will give you the the AL24+ processing for better sound quality, especially for music. The suggested retail is $999, so you might be able to find it for less. Hopefully this will help you out a bit in deciding what to get. Good luck.

The 2311Ci is $849 at Crutchfield.com.

The 1911 doesnt look too bad for the price.

Do some comaprison "looking" at the two models, in person to see the video quality AND internet digging to see why people like and dislike each model. Check out www.avsforum.com and search their site for each model. It has a LOT of information and posts for you.

Would you recognize the difference between 90 and 130 watts (over 2 channels)? maybe, and it depends on the efficiency of your speakers. But the 1911 may have a LOT les power when driving 3, 4 or 5 channels at the same time, and that would make it sound not very good (crappy).

I am going to upgrade my receiver with a Denon. A quick search on Denon's site led me to a few models. I want to spend under a $1,000. I would love to spend closer to $500 but could easily be convinced to spend closer to a grand if I am getting my money's worth.

Here are a couple that just might do the trick.

New.

http://www.amsound2.com/denonavr-3311cihdmi14aguaranteedlowestpriceslook.aspx

New from private seller.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1299670478&/Denon-AVR-4310-Brand-New!

Bill

Hey vandec54,

I just bought a Denon 3311ci. My last audio receiver purchase before that was in 1977 (33 years ago). Alot has changed over the years. The new systems have to be calibated to balance the speakers. Denon uses the latest technology by Audyssey for 6 point autosetup to automatically set the levels for up to 6 listening positions. In addtion, DSX provides sound expansion for addtional channels. The Denon 3311 and the 2311 both have 7 amps for 7.1 but from the manual, it appears the the 2311 can only reassign the 2 amps tradionally used for the two rear speakers in a 7.1 setup to the Front Height speakers generated by the DSX matrix processor. The 3311 can have either (only one set ) a Front Height or a Front Wide set instead of the rear set. If you want both you have to go with a 9.1 reciever and amp. This may or may not be important depending on your room. The important point is that rear speakers in a 7.1 setup is now a topic of debate (check out audyssey.com). Otherwise, the 2311 looks very similar to the 3311. It has HD radio, which has been around but no one much knows about it. The power is less in the 2311 but only marginally. You can always add an amp and use you preamp outputs if you want more power later. The last feature is internet connection. The 3311 has internet connectivity that the 2311 lacks . This allows access to rhapsody, Apple Air for I tunes and the ability to configure the receiver from you PCs browser.

I don't know about the AVR-991 mentioned above, but I would check this out. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the 2311.

Thanks all for the help, it is much appreicated. The capability of the new receivers is amazing. I'm still researching and will make a decision soon. I don't need many of the "extra" features. I'm just looking for dynamic, clean, separated sound. Something that will make my ______ tingle :-)

I have the AVR-791. I dunno if I would buy it again.

No particular reason I don't like it, it has just never given me an "oh wow' feeling. Some of the reason that may be is I bought AVR for $500 which in the world of separates is 1/8 the MSRP cost of a name brand receiver and amp set up.

My advice, get something with more power especially if you plan to keep it for awhile.

I drive my old Denon (2 channel for the Khorns) with the new Denon 7.1 and (for everything else) for the proper amount of power. The 7.1 just didn't cut it for listening at 98db SPL. The volume control on the old Denon is set for the proper balance which enables me to use only the volume control on the new 7.1 Denon. I used the internal balance in the 7.1 for all the speaker levels. The only thing I don't like on the 7.1 Denon is if you don't crank it up for about 3 months it looses the program and you have to reset it to default and go through all your levels again.

JJK

Is there a reason you're buying Denon? It would be best to research then audition several offerings in your price range.Does music matter, they all do music different, movies they're all ok.If movies are all that matter get an Onkyo, while not so good with music they do movies fine and are the best bang for the buck.

Last month I went from a Denon AVR1907 to last year's model, AVR990. This model is exactly the same as the AVR3310CI except for support to a third room (mono support at that). I made the move because I wanted to go HDMI through my receiver using the receiver's upscaler. A benefit I really didn't expect was the great improvement in sound quality.

I have a 3.1 system with RF82s, an RC62 and an RW12D. Even though the Klipsch is an efficient speaker, I am blown away by the much improved sound quality going from my old 85 watts per channel to my new 140 watts per, it really is significant. I guess watts really do matter, even with a klipsch system. I didn't know what I was missing. Even my old cassette's that I recorded off vinyl years ago, have added punch. I still have my old Nakamichi.

There has been much debate here on the benefit (or non benefit) of bi-amping. I do have my RF82s bi-amped and IMHO that further enhances the sound. I am very happy with my new receiver. The new models offer support for 3D over HDMI, something my 990 lacks, but this is not a concern to me.

We have indentical systems so this may be useful. Receivers are great because they are all in one packages. Downside is power with all channels driven can yield power half of what they say its rated, the transformers can't handle the flucutations inherent of low bass and when the processor tech gets old, you have to plunk down a bunch of money to upgrade. If money really is an issue than receivers are your only options really, especially if purchasing new. Not eveyone can afford to buy the biggest most bad *** receivers or separates. To me, once you are on the cusp of affording separates, buying a receiver doesnt make sense to me.

Seperates, from a good company will blow away a standard receivers. You say you could be coaxed to buying something around a grand. I say, take that and save a bit more. You can buy some emotiva gear if you are interested in it or you can save more and get parasound, outlaw audio etc. I always suggest emo gear because i am happy with amp, the processor, while awesome has some flaws that if they didnt exist would make it a 100% stellar machine. I would hands down like receivers much more if their power abilities were on par with an external amp, but they aren't and it was my main motivation to get separates.

I used to use a denon 1707 which i still have but is my backup and is used by my sis in a 2.0 i made her. That receiver was great, i didnt notice any flaws when i used it. I didnt crank it so i dont know how good the power supply was but at llower volumes it could hit the low freqs without issue. I do notice with my XPA-5 things have more impact and are clearer. I did crank my system the other day to 50 on my processor (friggen loud). I had my l/r on full range and played music, it was shaking the floor, tables, walls, no clipping and pure bass. Nothing was missed. I would challenge the denon to do that but i feel it would fail.

Your story is very common and i always push towards separates because i think the money is very well spent there. I like to do things once, not multiple times. However, i am fond of receivers because of their simplicty in comparison to separates and their all-in-onesness. I would, if given the choice, choose a harman/kardon for my receiver. I had a stereo receiver from them and i was quite please. its probably about 10 years old now and the thing still sounds great. If not that i would explore marantz. Denon i would choose over onkyo, just a pref there and i would pass up a yamaha anyday, personally, i think they should stick to motorcycles I know we have alot of yamaha fans, but again, its just preference and dont mean to offend.

My ultimate suggestion to you is, grab some emotiva gear when it goes on sale, not to mention new models are coming out and spend around $1200-$1400 or if you feel like you still want to spend around 1000 but no more, the denon is probably the way to go, you need some decent power.

Please elaborate on emotiva a little bit. Is their gear only available on their site or do they have local retailers? Other than your opinion, what is the opinion of others on emotiva?

Like I said, I'm out of the loop and have never heard of them. I however, have heard of parasound and outlaw. How do they compare and would a guy be happy rolling with them? Thanks again

Is there a reason you're buying Denon? It would be best to research then audition several offerings in your price range.Does music matter, they all do music different, movies they're all ok.If movies are all that matter get an Onkyo, while not so good with music they do movies fine and are the best bang for the buck.

I don't have my heart set on a Denon, it's just the direction I am/was/am/was...leaning.

I had an Onkyo and have a Yamaha. Both of those were bought on a high school and college budget respectively so maybe I'm not doing them justice. The models I had were just average.

I like to borrow a line from a previous poster....I am looking to spend as little as I can but I MUST be getting an "Oh WOW" experience. How much $$$$ is this? Only time will tell.

emotiva is owned by dan laufman who was an engineer at several of the largest audio manufacturers, i read an article, dont remember off hand. He wanted to create hifi audio at reasonable prices. Being online only, they eliminate markups found in brick and mortor stores. Their amps seem to be very solid, they have great solid output an they were designed that way, none of this overrating bullshit. Emotiva amps are hi-fidelity, they are just a ytounger company than outlaw and parasound and many of the other brands. Many people on these forums have emotiva gear and enjoy them. I don't want to speak for anyone really, id rather they chime in. Their UMC-1 has been a problem machine from the get-go. They have however, been refining the software and have removed most of the issues. They are coming out with the XMC-1 which will replace it. The UMC-1 is still a great machine, barring some flaws i listed above, with everything fixed i am very happy with it. When it comes down to the fine line, emotiva gear is cost friendly in a grueling HIFI components world. Will you get that o wow with them, hell yes, i honestly 100% think you will. Any good quality separates will wow you compared to a receiver IMO.

If i had the money in my pocket, id probably try outlaw audio, parasound, anthem, mcintosh, just to see if those extra .00 are worth it. Each of them will have a different sound just because of how they are designed.

create a thread for emo opinions and see what kinda hits you get. make the title be emotiva vs parasound vs anthem something like that, you'll get some good chatter. After that, you can really decide whether to stick with a receiver or make the leap.

• Moderators

Please elaborate on emotiva a little bit. Is their gear only available on their site or do they have local retailers?

Emotiva is an online AV company. They have received very good reviews around the forums, AVS etc. Good bang for your buck.

I however, have heard of parasound and outlaw. How do they compare and would a guy be happy rolling with them?

I have not heard Emo amps personally but I am more than happy with my Parasound amp. It's truly a beast of an amp.