Jubilee's in Richmond VA, who might like to help setup and listen?

Coytee

I believe that you're going to be amazed when it all comes together...

One suggestion--when you set up the Jubs, you might try to pull them forward a little bit to clear the center TV console, and toe them in to be on-axis with your prime listening position. If you can sight down the straight-wall section of the K-402 horn, and see any objects in the center, you might try pulling the Jubs forward (i.e., away from the front wall) a bit more and toeing out a little bit until it just clears the center obstructions and the opposite speaker. What you are trying to achieve here is minimization of early reflections horizontally. If you have any material to fill the gap left by pulling the Jubs forward by a little bit, I recommend filling that gap with something acoustically reflective. Imaging will pick up by "a whole bunch".

One more: aim the K-402s downward toward the floor so that they are aimed on centerline right at your ear height when sitting. You are trying to minimize early reflections due to ceiling bounce by doing this. The carpet that you already have will absorb early reflections off the floor.

Enjoy! [Y]

Quick question guys. Since I am biamping the jubilee's (TAD 4002 HF Drivers) with 2 seperate amplifiers, I wanted to know a couple of things. This is the first time doing this and have been reading that it's complicated. The TADS will be driven by a Mcintosh MC402 that doesn't have any gains and the LF with a Crown K2 that does have gains, I will need some help dialing them in. Mike2a3 has given me a .dc1 file that I have uploaded to my EV DC ONE so that is ready to go. Richard, I know you had to dial yours in as well, so I know I will be calling you. Hopefully I won't need a doctorate to perform what needs to be done. You think dialing them in will be an easy feat? [8-|]

Sounds like it's plug-and-play from here--with the only exception being the K2 gain for your lf channels.

I'd set that gain by using a test CD to play material at 300-350 Hz and then again at 500-550 Hz, setting the K2 channel gains to match loudness at these two frequency bands. I use one of the old Stereo Review Test CDs to do this (I forgot which one has the test tones on it.) To check your setting, you could use a hand-held SPL meter but my guess is that you'll get close using your ears alone.

Also note that you might want to add lf ramp gain using the DC-One (you'll have plenty of filters available since the TADs do'nt require as many PEQ filters as the K-69-As). Adding a lf ramp setting is something that is room and listener-specific, and is also something that could be set up for certain types of source material, like LPs or older material. Think of this as a preset for tone controls. One other setting is a "31 Hz boost" PEQ filter that is typically added by Jub enthusiasts. I have a notion that mike tn probably has already broached that subject with you. [;)]

Chris

David, I think Chris has answered it about 1K% better than I could have.

I'd simply say, set it up... once there, start to adjust the Crown's as necessary to get your favored blend with your McIntosh amp.

I guess since the McIntosh is fixed, it will set the bar for you and dictate where everything else falls in line (?).

That's one nice thing about using two identical amps... it takes this guesswork out of it.

Have you set things up yet in a quasi trial-run with your LaScalas? Do you have any hum issues? Or is this the beginning of you doing that process?

Just get another Mac amp (since they're a dime a dozen) and then you don't have to worry about it Devil

That was one of his thoughts, until some dummy fan-boy of Jubilee's offered to send him a Crown to try. Now he can mix/match a little bit and decide if he wants to blow some dimes or some pennies.

I gotta give him credit though... he's stepped up to the plate and ordered a pair of Jubilee's, DC-One, TAD-4002's and is contemplating yet another McIntosh amp.

AND is going to put all of this into his living room.

He must not be married.... [A]

I will defintely get a volt meter Mike (Who). I guess it's going to be a test to my ears. And actually my girlfriend is that good! 2 rooms in the house she has no say in. My office and the living room (HT). Everything else is all hers! I also have to get her a Hot Springs Spa installed on the deck. That was the trade off of me getting the jubilee's. (She doesn't know about the TADS).

She doesn't know about the TADS

Don't tell her... [:-*] Just let her bond with them when they are finally set up and tuned in.

• Moderators

I also have to get her a Hot Springs Spa installed on the deck. That was the trade off of me getting the jubilee's.

Sounds like you got in on a good deal on that one also ! [H] You are good

Quick question guys. Since I am biamping the jubilee's (TAD 4002 HF Drivers) with 2 seperate amplifiers, I wanted to know a couple of things. This is the first time doing this and have been reading that it's complicated. The TADS will be driven by a Mcintosh MC402 that doesn't have any gains and the LF with a Crown K2 that does have gains, I will need some help dialing them in.

Hey David

(1) I would buy/borrow a Digital Autoranging Multimeter. (An inexpensive meter will be sufficient for this)

(2) You will need a test signal and if you have any test CDs with 1/3rd octave pink noise this will work great. Use the 1/3rd octave band centered on 500Hz as your test signal.

(3) After looking at the specs for both amplifiers I suggest you set the Crown K2's Input Sensitivity Switch to the 25db position for best S/N and only use the 1.4V position if you need the extra sensitivity to balance with the MC402.

(4) Connect the channel for testing of each amplifier to your LaScalas.

When your ready to take measurements supply the test signal to one channel of the MC402 and one channel of the Crown K2 (with the K2's Level Control set on 0db).

Note: the test signal doesn't have to be loud since we are only interested in the Output Voltage difference between the amplifiers.

(5) Set the Digital Meter for AC voltage and take a reading of the voltage at the speaker terminals of the MC402 and this will be your reference voltage to adjust the Crown K2. Note: Be very carefull not to create a short at the speaker terminals or with the amplifier's chassis with the meter probes while taking the measurements.

(6) If the Crown K2's measured voltage is higher than the MC402's measured voltage: Adjust the Crown K2's Level Control down until it matches the MC402's voltage reading and take note of it's setting for future reference if needed.

If by chance the Crown K2's measured voltage(with it's level control at 0db) is lower than the MC402's measured voltage: Change the Crown K2's Input Sensitivity Switch to the 1.4v position and take a new voltage reading (which if higher than the MC402 now) then it can now be adjusted to match the MC402's voltage reading.

Once you have the voltage readings equal between the amplifiers your done. David if you have problems with this let me know.

mike tn