RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

I came upon a deal from an online retailer at www.acousticsounddesign.com selling brand new speakers that had been labeled "B Stock" because the cherry veneer was deemed too dark by the QC folks and saved a considerable amount.

Congratulations!

A lot of us have purchased thru ASD and are very happy. Some of us got A stock for B stock pricing when they were out of stock but I would have been just as happy with B stock. Same components so no difference in the sound quality. I think all are shipping much darker than the web sites indicate..........

Enjoy!

Sure I don't see why not. I read that the AVR-A100 is capable of running 4Ohm speakers.

This means the AVR is capable of delivering high currents wheven an attached load (=speaker) dips to lower impedances at certain frequency ranges.

It will in no way "harm" the RF7's

Doesn't this receiver have a 6Ohm setting ? Only 4 or 8 ?

Sure I don't see why not. I read that the AVR-A100 is capable of running 4Ohm speakers.

This means the AVR is capable of delivering high currents wheven an attached load (=speaker) dips to lower impedances at certain frequency ranges.

It will in no way "harm" the RF7's

Doesn't this receiver have a 6Ohm setting ? Only 4 or 8 ?

Yes, 8, 6 and 4 ohms.

Wil it sound different? more power?

Is it safe?

I also have a RC-64II, and a pair of 82II for surround.

Yes it will sound different. It will be worse! Your speakers are 8 ohm... period. The settings on the back of the receiver are only to protect the receiver. Most basic receivers don't have large power supplies and enough cooling to handle pushing 4 ohm speakers hard. Lower impedance speakers will make your receiver run much hotter. Selecting 4 ohms on the receiver will actually limit the power to protect the receiver from over heating. My advice would be to leave it set to 8 ohms and see how it sounds. If you feel you need more power you should look into a separate amplifier. These speakers are very efficient, and do pretty well with receivers, but if you really want to use the full potential of these than a seperate amp is the way to go. Hope this helps

Will it sound different ? Don't really think so, unless you are really pumping high volumes, but even I don't think it sound different.

When you configure the AVR at 4Ohm, it will be able to provide high current to the RF7 when you are really using them at very loud level (eg. when throwing a party...)

I think the Denon can output 170W each channel at 4 Ohm (with a 1Khz test-tone) so you have slightly more power then the 140W at 8Ohm (altough the difference is probably not very audible ... it will be extremely L*O*U*D with these power-levels into RF7's !!)

When configuring at 4Ohm you probably will be "stressing" the power-stages of you Denon more but it should be designed to deal with it, so don't worry.

I've only driven my RF7's few times to the limits of my Onkyo 875 and I can assure you I had to put ear-plugs to enter the room !! Really, really LOUD!

Looking at the specs I see :

140 W + 140 W
(8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.05 %)
170 W + 170 W
(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

So it seems to be able to deliver 170W /channel at 6Ohm compared to 140W at 80hm

But yes, the power-supply stage will be more stressed ;-) that is true.

There is the increase in "total harmonic distortion" (altough once measure across 20-20kHz and elsewhere with a 1Khz tone) but I'm not sure if it really can be heard...

Like I said... the speakers are 8 ohms. If you read your owner's manual it will explain the settings. They are only to protect the receiver. It will not hurt to try the different settings as long as your impedance is above the setting you select (which they are) but there is nothing to be gained. The receiver won't gain any power, if anything you'll notice less. The switch doesn't make your speakers 4 or 6 ohms.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

My speakers have arrived and i am in audio heaven! Never before have i felt so immersed in perfectly balanced sound..these speakers are fantastic!

Posted Image

Really difficult to photograph in my home cinema room as all the walls and the ceiling are covered in the blackest black velvet!

Just fiddling around with settings in Audyssey on my Onkyo 5009 amp. These RF7IIs do go down low so integrating them into the eight X 18" driver Infinite Baffle subwoofer system is going to be interesting!

Steve:)

• 3 weeks later...

So with the projector screen going up I need as much flexibility

as I can get with the rf-7ii placement. I personally like the feet on them but it

makes it harder in that spot to place them with the feet sticking out against the

wall and sub (I want to angle them in as much as possible). So I flipped them

over to look at my options. My original

plan was to call klipsch and see if I can order some front feet and put them in

the back. But after pulling it all apart and adding a few longer machine screws

I was able to use everything to get it to match.

So for those that

would rather have matching feet in the back to the front here are some pics on

how I did it.

First pic shows taking out the two screws that holds it in

(if you bought them new you put them on yourself).

post-50231-13819740070566_thumb.jpg

post-50231-13819770722148_thumb.jpg

post-50231-13819797911974_thumb.jpg