RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Hello everyone… I have been looking into the RF7 II’s for

the mains in my HT. At the present time I have a set of KG 5.5’s as I do love

them but I’m curious as if anyone as an opinion on the subject?? I bought the KG’s for a good price of $200

and then added the Bob Crites upgrades which include the Ti- tweeters &

cross over’s. I noticed as I changed the

items the speakers did not have the proper bracing and such as I plan on

modifying them to my liking. Before I go thru the expense & labor of

modifying them I’m curious to rather or not it’s worth it? Such as…. If I were to modify the KG’s I have

and compare them to the RF7 II’s would it be just a slight difference or more

like a night & day difference?? If

its just a slight improvement then I would rather save $2k as I can live with

that, but if it’s a total noght &

day ordeal then its worth it. Any

thoughts??

The tone of the bass will definetly be different. The 7II's will also be slightly louder at the same wattage level. The best thing to do is hear some of the new reference series speakers and see if you like the sound signature compare to your KG's. I brought my 7's from a guy that had KLF 20's. He preferred the more laid back bass of the older series speakers.

I pounced on a great deal today for a better AVR with Pre-Outs with specs Klipsch CS said they'd be more comfortable with. This is the time of year Yamaha rolls out new AVR line, & last year's go on sale. Interested to see if I'll hear a difference with new AVR + RD12 + RC-64ii, before pulling trigger on 7's.

I pounced on a great deal today for a better AVR with Pre-Outs with specs Klipsch CS said they'd be more comfortable with. This is the time of year Yamaha rolls out new AVR line, & last year's go on sale. Interested to see if I'll hear a difference with new AVR + RD12 + RC-64ii, before pulling trigger on 7's.

If you are running the Quintets as mains there may not be much difference in your current configuration. I would get an SPL meter and see what volume you are listening at now with your current Yammi and use that as a baseline.

Insofar as replacing the Quintets with the RF-7s, that would be where the SPL test would come in handy because there really is no comparison, regardless which AVR you have.

• 4 weeks later...

New RF-7ii and RC-64ii owner. Well sorta. Here is my dilemma. I want the B stock cherry, love the color but ASD is out of them, sounddistributors has them but says they can't match ASD's price of 2500, but can do 2900. He confirmed they are the same finish. But here is the kicker, mark at ASD said he will have another batch of dark cherry in about 4 to 5 weeks. My understanding was that this was a mistake on the veneer suppliers part. So how would he be able to get more? Or is it after they are built some are just darker and rejected?

At this point it’s pretty obvious that it wasn’t just one

bad shipment that they decided to build and sell as b stock. My guess is that it’s marketing of some kind. For all

we know that company could be a klipsch company of some sort (not saying it

is). Klipsch would be smart to have some outlets for online that offer really

good prices but don’t piss off the retailers they sell to for the same price

almost. Either way it’s good for us. Hold off and buy them for 2500. (It’s

going to be the longest month of your life)

Yea that's what I'll end up doing. I talked with one of my local shops and they pretty much said they make the RF-7ii's in runs. They do a bunch to build up stock then don't make them for a while. He said they select the cherry for them and put the darker shades off to the side that they wouldn't normally use. Once they are done making all the A stock, they use all the wood they have for B stock. It's just luck of the draw I guess, I'd assume they have SOME b stock every time but it's anyone's guess to how many, and when they actually start pumping out a new batch. He also said Klipsch is starting production on a new batch in a few weeks, so that plays into the 4-5 week time frame I was given. Here come the sleepless nights! I've researched and trialed speakers for the past 4 months before making my decision. To me, at least, the RF-7ii's sounded better then some $10,000 speakers they had me trying out. And my ear is what matters! Well the fiance's too, but mostly mine. bwahah

Yea I noticed that. Peoples A stocks are really darker compared to klipschs pictures, but the darker the better. darkest I can get without getting them in black lol. I plan on building my stage upfront to display these instead of hideing then and staining it, along with all the wood work and molding a similar shade. classy ^_^

i have never seen the B-stock in person and i was shocked how dark my A-stocks were compared to the website pictures. i think which ever you end up with you will love them.

Ditto! I called ASD for B stock as well but they were out at the time also. Mike made me a killer deal on A stock with the center and they were all very dark.....and sexy!

BTW.....Welcome to the forum!

I took delivery of my b-stock 7's last week - I must have gotten one of the last pairs before the next batch. Mike at ASD is very open about how Klipsch does thesein batches. In every batch, there is some cherry wood that is a different shade. Those get turned into B-stock.

I am loving mine so far... it's worth the wait.

Probably. Sent him a message, and got one back the same day saying they sold out earlier in the day >_< I flipped lol. Thought I lost my chance, but then Mike saved the day with the news of another batch. Did you get the same deal? $2500 for the 2 rf-7ii and the rf-64ii?

• 6 months later...

I just upgraded my system to drive my Reference 7 II speaker system that includes a Velodyne 15" powered sub (FSR-15). I replaced 2 Adcom amps with a McIntosh MC205 (200 x 5) and a B&K reference 50 with a Marantz AV7701 processor. I used the Odyssey setup but question the results a bit. Should I set all the speakers to small? What crossovers settings would you advise for the speakers themselves??