RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Yes, it's true that it makes difficult to place RF-7 II with feel sticking out and touches the wall. Would have been nice if Klipsch had given an option to flip and allow to mount rears identical to fronts (all four bronze rings/feet equi-distance from the corners).

I have angled wide and surrounds near the walls and it reduces the issue. Not to mention, it also reduces a possibility of cabinet to bump in to the wall. The one near to the center channel as Front Right and Front Left is fine! It could be that Klipsch would have not thought that some one would use RF-7 II in other configuration.

Hi Folks,

I've searched/read all the posts here & AVS Klipsch forum, still not sure about info I'm seeking about RF-7ii's. I'm upgrading from Quintets; i've already got RC-64ii + RD 12 sub + Yamaha RX-V671 w/ discrete amp configuration/ specs:

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 125W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 105W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 90W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 130/170/200/240W

671 AVR has no pre-outs, I can't do AVR + separate amp upgrade right now. Room size is small-medium, square 15 x 20, 10 ft ceilings. My use is 75% HT and 25% music. I'll move Quintet fronts to surrounds once I add RF-7's. My listening volume does not usually go above -20db.

Two questions:

1. can/will I damage the RF-7's w/ impedence dips (as some have suggested) without separate amp / power @ my listening volume?

2. I'm tight on space, what is minimum spacing from back wall (side wall no problem)

Thank you in advance for your inpu!

Hi Willy and welcome to the forum!

1. can/will I damage the RF-7's w/ impedence dips (as some have suggested) without separate amp / power @ my listening volume?

My set up is very similiar to yours and I have been using my Pioneer (similiar specs) since I purchased my 7's in early March. I have had a hard time converting to separates as it's been hard to justify the expense when it sounds so good as is. I am converting in the coming weeks tho but I have been very pleased thus far. I rarely go above -20db as well.

2. I'm tight on space, what is minimum spacing from back wall (side wall no problem)

You should give them at least 8" of "breathing room" if you can.

I re-measured my space again... I can get about 8.5" of breathing room from the wall [:D]

I should have said I go higher in volume depending on source; mostly using AirPlay to stream MP3's through the AVR, fidelity seems to drop. I need to hike volume -5db- 0db. I was listening to remastered version of China Grove, off Best of the Doobie Brothers mp3 album, AVR sees Airplay signals as 'analog,' so I use Stere Enhancer DSP setting to get it nice... but it needs extra volume.

Two questions:

1// No you will not damage the RF7's. It's the RF7's who have the impedance dips and the "stress" is at the receiver/amp side, not the speaker. Your receiver does not have the power to "damage" the RF7's. You're receiver will go into protection before you are even hurting the RF7's...

With these amp specs I think you can get quite loud ;-) Dynamic power is more to "cover" the impedance dips. Not for "continuous operation".

2// In my case, the RF7's are roughly 3 to 4 feet from the back wall and I believe they should be...

1// No you will not damage the RF7's. It's the RF7's who have the impedance dips and the "stress" is at the receiver/amp side, not the speaker. Your receiver does not have the power to "damage" the RF7's. You're receiver will go into protection before you are even hurting the RF7's...

He may not damage his RF-7s at -20, but as he raises the volume to an uncomfortable level the speakers will start to distort and has more chance of damaging them by under-powering them before his AVR shuts down, imo.

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 125W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 105W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 90W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 130/170/200/240W

671 AVR has no pre-outs, I can't do AVR + separate amp upgrade right now. Room size is small-medium, square 15 x 20, 10 ft ceilings. My use is 75% HT and 25% music. I'll move Quintet fronts to surrounds once I add RF-7's. My listening volume does not usually go above -20db.

Two questions:

Welcome to the Forum, Willybguy!

You are going to have some nice speakers with the impedance dips you are inquiring about and I would consider getting a different AVR. It does not have pre-outs nor is it rated to drive speakers that are 4 Ohms. I would at least look for a unit that has both a beefier power supply and/or pre-outs.

Appreciate the feedback guys; I'm a little confused @ ohms. The RF-7ii spec page says they are "8 ohm compatible,' the Yammie 671 AVR specs say "Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)
130/170/200/240W"

How far above -20db are we talking about the possibility of getting distortation/damage? The very highest I go for Airplay tunes, is about -5 - 0db.

Appreciate the feedback guys; I'm a little confused @ ohms. The RF-7ii spec page says they are "8 ohm compatible,' the Yammie 671 AVR specs say "Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 130/170/200/240W"

The reason Klipsch puts the word "compatible," after 8 Ohm is because it actually has a jagged Frequency Response curve that has dips that go lower than 3 Ohms (at least the older RF-7s did) and so it can't be classified as strictly an 8 Ohm speaker...Notice that their Heritage line are actually "8 Ohm" speakers....Also note, when you are talking about the speaker dipping at those frequencies, it happens at every volume level and not just at loud volume...At lower volumes the AVR may be able to handle those dips, but it will become more apparent as you try and listen louder.

So when you listen at -20dB ... how loud do you perceive it ? Is it like "background" music or already a descend listening volume ?

On my Onkyo, the 0dB on my RF7-II is extremely loud, so loud actually you shoud leave the room. So only for a "quick" demo I tend to do this, listening for me is anywhere between -25dB -> -15dB.

Your question is not really possible to answer and should be tested by using some measurement equipment and "stress" the receiver up to the point where eg 1khZ sine-wave is showing distortion,clipping etc.

The "dynamic power" probably usable to "cope" with the sudden impedance dips so the receiver can delivery (much) more current (hence power) to the speakers but only for brief time (eg. seconds) (usable through large capacitors inside your amp)

I have the feeling my RF7-II are build like a tank, and with my receiver at +8dB (tested when I was in the shop with a Klipsch expert/electronics expert) then you see my Onkyo has no more "juice" in the tank to keep dynamics flowing.

The volume at this point was soooo loud ... impossible to listen to these sound levels more then a minute unless you are really def, or completely stupid ;-)

Get the best speakers you can. You can always upgrade power

down the road if you feel you need to. It’s a popular question on forums about receivers

having the power to drive the speakers someone is looking at. Imo if you pull

the trigger on 7s you will be pretty happy regardless of the power you have

atm. You can always get the 7s then wait tell the next big thing comes out and

buy a new avr with pre outs.

I posted in the AVS forum as well, but thought I'd follow up here too.I've been a Yamaha AVR guy for 25 years; called them up. Really good CSR. He went to Klipsch product page on his end, out loud:

" power specs of the rf7's - 250 W RMS / 1000 W peak." He said, "the 671 AVR is rated for 90-95 watts, and not designed to power a speaker like the RF-7."But, the rep concurred with others here; who said, still, "Yes,you can
hook up the RF-7's to the 671, and it will, in fact, work at lower
volumes."

The rep also concurred with others here, who said, "If you push too far,
the 671 should shut down or fry as a failsafe. He said it was still
possible in that scenario the speakers could be damaged.

Then I called Klipsch, and had one of the most educational conversations about audio stuff in my entire life.Using the 671 with RF-7s, especially because I do a lot of streaming
(Pandora/Netflix) with higher risk of clipped signal, not a great idea. Klipsch rep also said if I upgraded to another AVR in 120-150w
range, he'd be more comfortable I'd be all right for awhile in terms of the impedence dips below 4 ohms.

So for now, my RF-7 purchase is on hold.

Hi Folks,

I've searched/read all the posts here & AVS Klipsch forum, still not sure about info I'm seeking about RF-7ii's. I'm upgrading from Quintets; i've already got RC-64ii + RD 12 sub + Yamaha RX-V671 w/ discrete amp configuration/ specs:

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven)

125W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven)

105W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)

90W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)

Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)

130/170/200/240W

Two questions:

Thank you in advance for your inpu!

You don't need to do an AVR + sep Amp upgrade. Why not just a better AVR with Pre-outs, THEN when budget allows, add the amp.

There are plenty of AVRs that can work the RF-7ii's until you get an amp....if ever.