RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Not sure of the why, always has been. Run my subs at +10db hot too. Room is about 5300cuft. I do not find the towers and center to be offensive to my ears.

Here is my data I built to track as I added the second sub:

New db numbers for MLP (0.0 reference setting on AVR):

Scene---1st VTF15---2nd in March---After pro cal and 90hz xover for flat response in room

Transformers, city battle at end---111.0---113.0---116.3 (hwy batte right before yielded 117 smile.gif )

Act of Valor, gun boat scene---109.8---111.8---114.6

Iron Man 2, final battle---111.0---114.2---116.1

Episode 1, pod race---110.8---114.5---115.8

ok dillema in my head solved. If your running 10 db hot subs and listening at reference you should be seeing 125 db. So your numbers reflect more of 10 below reference which is TOTALLY different and EXACTLY where I listen at. Makes much more sense to me now :)
117 db in a 5,300 cubic foot room is still no joke, although I'm curious about what frequency that is more than the total spl. I'd have a hard time believing that two $800 15's would do that at 20 hz in a room that size. Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

It most likely is higher up near 35 -45 Hz.  I have a large room like that and it is great to be able to get that type of spl.  Vented subs are perfect for a room that size.  A future consideration if you want more tactile sensation is to purchase some shakers.  They will take the place of 3 or 4 additional subs.  I added some door/walls and closed off my 5300 cu ft. space to cut it down to around 4300 cu ft.

Edited by derrickdj1

Not sure of the why, always has been. Run my subs at +10db hot too. Room is about 5300cuft. I do not find the towers and center to be offensive to my ears.

Here is my data I built to track as I added the second sub:

New db numbers for MLP (0.0 reference setting on AVR):

Scene---1st VTF15---2nd in March---After pro cal and 90hz xover for flat response in room

Transformers, city battle at end---111.0---113.0---116.3 (hwy batte right before yielded 117 smile.gif )

Act of Valor, gun boat scene---109.8---111.8---114.6

Iron Man 2, final battle---111.0---114.2---116.1

Episode 1, pod race---110.8---114.5---115.8

ok dillema in my head solved. If your running 10 db hot subs and listening at reference you should be seeing 125 db. So your numbers reflect more of 10 below reference which is TOTALLY different and EXACTLY where I listen at. Makes much more sense to me now :)

117 db in a 5,300 cubic foot room is still no joke, although I'm curious about what frequency that is more than the total spl. I'd have a hard time believing that two $800 15's would do that at 20 hz in a room that size.

No, they are much lower at 20hz. That is just overall db achieved during those scenes by the meter. That was my basis for comparison, how did each exact scene "improve" in spl with the changes. That is also measuring the WHOLE system running. Only changes were the subs though in those measurements, I just think it is cool my system hits 115db during a cool movie scene, but that is from my car audio days LOL. Also, the big bass hits in those scenes are what drove the db's up, not the fronts/center sounds.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Anybody know if the RF-7ii has a double thick baffle like a sub would? Don't really want to tear mine apart to find out. :)

edit: nevermind, you can stick your arm in the port and feel around. Seems to only be one layer for the baffle. Actually seems to be thinner than the expected 3/4" MDF to be honest but its hard to tell. Also seems to have a 1" brace on the side walls long ways with a cross brace in the middle.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

well, it seems to have right edges! last I asked lowe's guy he couldn't make a straight cut. I finally ordered S4S finish wood in desired sizes at professional side of the counter.

btw., are you going to have sealed or ported?

btw., are you going to have sealed or ported?

For now I'm just going to make a rear ported copy. Might build another sealed sometime when I get bored to experiment and see if I can actually tell any difference.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters