Did you replace your Cornwall tweeters?

smokarz

ok, so i did the stupid thing and installed REW and took measurements on my cornwalls.

what it showed me is that the speakers rolled off around 12khz-13khz. from some reading, these K-77 drivers are limited, and Bob's CT125 suppoed to go up to 20khz.

so, what were your impressions after installing the CT125? what's the difference?

i mean, do you actually hear things beyond 10khz?

My older son replaced the K77s in his Heresy speakers with the CT125s, and I quickly ordered a set for my LaScalas. (I've since used the same driver with a larger horn, but they had to go on top of the cabinets.)

Much improved, and a no brainer as far as I am concerned. There are some who don't like the change, but to me they are much smother sounding and a great change. Plus, they handle more power.

Bruce

I guess if you find the old Eminence you would be getting the same tweeter as the CT125 but not the new Eminence. I have no idea what the cutoff date was so I cant tell you but the new Eminence are not even close to the CT125 in response or extension. Talk to Bob Ctites about it he told me the CT125 is make by the original manufacturer of the Eminence unit. I guess Eminence just wanted to save money and cut corners. Hope this helps best regards Moray James.

Pretty much have replaced most of my K-77's with CT125's. Reason? Most of the old 77's were, after many years of service, worn out (diaphragms brittle, etc.). Also (to mu ears..) somewhat harsh. The CT's are first and foremost, a cost effective "drop-in", and are generally "smoother". I like "voice", and clarity, and the CT's, coupled with a 4500 crossover point, sound better to my ears at the generally lower volume (SPL) levels at which I prefer to listen.

thanks, i heard the CT125 is the same as the APT150.

can i use the APT150? it's a whole lot cheaper.

Bob Crites went to considerable expense to have horns fabricated that replicate the horns used on the K-77 (EV T35) and that attach easily to the APT150 driver. That makes the CT125 a drop-in replacement physically and visually. It's my understanding that the driver of the APT150 is the same as that in the CT125. If that's correct, and, if you aren't looking for a "drop in," you can use the CT150.

I tried the CT125 in Heresy speakers. I purchased the CT125s from a forum member who preferred the K-77. I felt the difference in the Heresy was subtle. The speakers were eventually sold to another forum member.

The benefit of the CT125 is probably best realized when combined with a lower (4,500 hz) crossover point. Bob feels the K-55 benefits from the lower crossover, but the K-77 can't be crossed over at that frequency.

I tried the CT125s but went back to the K77s. I like the grittier, more live sound of the K77s. IMO, it's part of what makes Klipsch speakers sound like Klipsch speakers. Some agree, others don't. I suppose it's worth a try. If you don't like them, they're pretty easy to re-sell.

thanks, i heard the CT125 is the same as the APT150.

can i use the APT150? it's a whole lot cheaper.

I now use the APT50 driver on the 150 horn on my LS, but the larger horn is mounted in a baffle that is placed on top of the cabinet. It wouldn't fit in the regular LS baffle. It is also the older APT50 driver, and not the newer one sold by Eminence. I believe Bob ordered his from the original European manufacturer.

I have a pair of CT125s in the cabinets, just taking up space. The 150 horn, placed on the back of the cabinet to align it with the mid driver is amazing.

Bruce

post-7149-13819640683392_thumb.jpg

The 150 horn, placed on the back of the cabinet to align it with the mid driver is amazing.

Actually, I think that Bruce's configuration is one that you should take a good look at, i.e., being able to time-align the tweeter to the Cornwall midrange. I believe that you will more than double your gain using that approach, especially in soundstage.

Chris

The 150 horn, placed on the back of the cabinet to align it with the mid driver is amazing.

Actually, I think that Bruce's configuration is one that you should take a good look at, i.e., being able to time-align the tweeter to the Cornwall midrange. I believe that you will more than double your gain using that approach, especially in soundstage.

Chris

thanks, but i am not exactly what this meant.

thanks, but i am not exactly what this meant.

I'm assuming that this is a question...

To explain: horn-loaded speakers typically suffer from driver time-delay issues. While the Cornwall has less issues in terms of its bass-to-midrange time delay than the Khorn, La Scala, or Belle models, the Cornwall midrange-to-tweeter time delay has the same issues as these other speakers.

This shows up in several ways, not the least of which is the disruption of the stock Cornwall's soundstage image (all models of CW...). If you simply move the location of the CW's tweeter to on top of the cabinet in a manner like Bruce has done, then you can manually correct for the time delay difference of the midrange horn length by physically aligning the compression tweeter driver with the midrange driver (relative to your listening positions). This is easy to do: simply move the tweeter back and forth while listening until the soundstage "pops" into place.

It won't be a subtle change in performance...and I think that you will get dramatic performance improvement from doing this simple change. [Y]

Chris

Hi all,

First post here, though I've been lurking and checking in here for a few years now. I'm updating and modifying a pair of 1977 cornwalls that I bought locally over a year ago and are in immaculate condition. I'll be ordering a pair of fastrac horns from Dave, and just placed my order for a pair of ALK ap12-600s and a pair of alk ap15-6000s.

Once all that is done I'll most likely be looking to upgrade my tweeters, and wonder what the various differences among the Crites ct-125, the Selenium d220ti + hm25-25 combination, and the B&C DE10/ME10 combinations are.

The current plan is to flush mount as well.

Thanks in advance,

Jim