Why Birch Ply for speakers?

Beechnut

I used baltic birch for stuff and I think it resonates more than MDF.  You can knock on it and feel it.  MDF is a low thud comparatively.  I think it is popular in pro audio because it is strong and relatively light.  MDF wouldn't survive being thrown around very much.  I have built a bass guitar cabinet, two bookshelves, two tables, and two sub cabinets with it.  I do like working with it better than MDF and particle board.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Also, just because it is birch doesn't mean it is baltic birch.  Birch in general is nice because it is cheap and paintable.  Oak is more expensive and not as paintable.  The middle layers can be the same stuff, and it all probably has the same acoustic properties.  Baltic birch is different because it is from slow growing trees in the baltic sea region around northeast russia and western europe.  It is very dense, has very little voids, and the layers are thinner, which is why 3/4" is 13 ply.  You won't see that on other typical plywood.  

I've never seen Baltic Birch in 3/4".  Birch, yes, Baltic no.   It may be out there but I've never seen it.  The only Baltic Birch I've seen is 1/2" and it comes in 5'x5' sheets, not 4'x8'.

Technically it's 18mm, which is 0.707".  Yes most of it is 5x5 which is what I use.  You can get it in 4x8 but it is hard to find.  Menards has it.  There is some knock-off Chinese stuff in 4x8 that claims to be baltic but it's not.  That's not what comes from Menards though.  Anyway, that's what the sub boxes below are made of.  If you look real close you can count the layers on the baffle.  Normal birch isn't 13 ply.  

box2_zps304faae5.jpg

closeup:

birch_zps9e963f58.jpg

finished:

box_zpsbf0439e3.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I'm working with some 3/4 now (birch).  I'll count the plys tonight but there's no way it's Baltic.  The quality isn't there.

We don't have a Menards around here.

It actually measured 11/16'ths.

Edited by CECAA850

I'm working with some 3/4 now (birch).  I'll count the plys tonight but there's no way it's Baltic.  The quality isn't there.

Lowes can special order it, that's where I used to get it.  Just go to the pro sales desk.  

The 5x5 sheets are easy to make half bookcases out of.  All you have to do is rip it into 5 even strips that are 11 7/8" wide.  Glue it up, instant bookcase.  No cross cutting.  

10847852_10152648973184401_8353598431792

Looks goon Metro, I'm sure you're staining that plywood? Got a pic of the final finish?

Menards does have a decent lumberyard.

Lowes can special order it, that's where I used to get it.  Just go to the pro sales desk.  

Yeah, they can get it. At 50 bucks per 5x5 sheet they are a little pricey.  Certainly an easy solution if you don't need too much.

Birch was a very popular wood finish in the mid 20th century. Most people have had birch doors in some house they either live in or visit in the past. I have painted or replaced thousands from Ohio to Texas.

I am willing to use bb as it isn't as harsh as MDF as far as dust goes. Maybe once I get my dust collector up and running I will give it another try.  But for now I will spend the extra money on bb.  Don't get the knock offs unless you cut and use right away.  I have used arauco plywood and I thought it sucked as it warped  quickly. 

It actually measured 11/16'ths.

if I was building a pair of Cornwalls and wanted birch baltic  -  how many sheets would I need - of the  5x5 or the 4x8 and which is the best one to use in 3/4 inch or 1 inch -can I also glue 2 half inches of baltic birch to make a 1 inch thick panel or is 3/4 sufficient -

sorry If I am confused - but my head is spinning reading all this infurmation  -