Heresy II refurb and upgrade to HIII

muel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an early Heresy II (1986) model that had the round terminal cups. It is sealed and the back doesn't come off. I filled the back edge with wood glue and followed that with latex caulk. I'll get a better picture of the back.

is the Heresy cab completely sealed? or is the back panel removable like the cornwall?

Original Heresy back is removable, the HII back is sealed. All the components come out the front.

Bruce

The grills wound up costing over $75 shipped. Still not too bad considering time and cost of doing it myself from scratch. Maybe for my next project after I get a decent router.

The grills don't come with logos. I bought new ones - Part Number: 070249 (Jubilee Pie Logo) $12. /ea.

1-800-KLIPSCH (554-7724) option 6

• 2 weeks later...

Heresy and Heresy ll none have not looked into a Heresy lll but I expect not. Theory says damping can provide about a 15 -20% increase in apparent volume so if you want to brace away you can make up volume loss with damping. Sounds like a good idea as a more rigid cabinet is always a good thing unless it's a Harbeth (or other BBC style design). Have fun and enjoy. Best regards Moray James.

A solid well braced cabinet will be cleaner sounding and the bass will be more articulate. Extra brace and stiffening material cost in material and labor. I believe the omission was done for cost purposes and because they thought the speaker competitive enough without it. A simple mod is to solder all your connections for better sound. You can also pair and twist up the hook up wires to each driver. Some have used a dense rubber foam to wedge between the mid driver and the back of the cabinet to damp both the horn and the back of the cabinet. You may as well give your primo parts a first class home, they deserve it. Best regards Moray James.

The grills wound up costing over $75 shipped. Still not too bad considering time and cost of doing it myself from scratch. Maybe for my next project after I get a decent router.

The grills don't come with logos. I bought new ones - Part Number: 070249 (Jubilee Pie Logo) $12. /ea.

1-800-KLIPSCH (554-7724) option 6

I think $75 is a very fair price, new Heritage grills are darn nice(I can't believe d a m n get changed to ***!) IMO. I debate with myself whether or not I should get spare pairs for my speakers.

If you look at the first picture in this post you will see the foam rubber that was in my Heresy II cabinets. There was nothing else.

I am trying the HIII components with the foam rubber still installed and a little bracing of the front cabinet to the rear.

hey guys, can you tell me if the Heresy cabs have any bracing and/or damping materials?thanks

Heresy-I has braces for the motor board and rear panel assembly; 3/4" birch strips, no gaps, stapled.

Heresy-II & III have no braces as the cabinet construction uses the motor board and rear panel as the "brace" (slotted fit). They have a piece of open cell foam inside that is in the shape of an inverted "U" over the woofer.

Dampening of the sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosure does not help bass response. Slotted or ported enclosures (bass reflex) is where that design becomes commonly used.

Several folks on the Forum (notably Dr. Who) can provide extensive information and "guidance" on the physics of damening, porting, etc.

[H]

• 2 weeks later...