Oh Amy, we may need you here!

USNRET

I had suggested a policy similar to other sites but never heard back. Other forums require admin inspection of the first 5 or so posts before the member can post on the open forum. Your posts go into a queue untill they are approved by someone in admin. After the alloted posts, they flip a switch and you can post directly to the forum. Seems like it would stop a lot of the SPAM that we've been seeing especially if some of it is automated.

I had suggested a policy similar to other sites but never heard back. Other forums require admin inspection of the first 5 or so posts before the member can post on the open forum. Your posts go into a queue untill they are approved by someone in admin. After the alloted posts, they flip a switch and you can post directly to the forum. Seems like it would stop a lot of the SPAM that we've been seeing especially if some of it is automated.

this works well..

• Moderators

Sorry, I thought I had responded! We are on the fence as to what we are going to do with this forum. We can either upgrade the software we have (we are currently a few versions behind), which will have much more enhanced features and capabilities, or scap this software and start over with something new. But that is a content migration nightmare. No decision has been made yet... we have a few other irons in the fire that are getting precident right now by our IT and programming teams. Eventually, something will happen!!

or scap this software and start over with something new.

You didn't ask for my opinion but I vote for new software [:)] I would also be fine with starting from scratch and just leaving the old forum up for archive purposes.

We're on it!

Thank you!!!

Have you considered appointing a handful of the "senior" members as moderators with the ability to nuke this crap immediately.

Nuclear weapons proliferation at the Forum level!!! [Y][Y]

The current software is actually pretty good. The ability for the IT folks to write the code that prevents a posting unless viewed by a moderator should not be that difficult. The procedure would be as Carl described. The moderators "on duty" would be able to click yes or no; if it's a "no", then an email to Amy, Trey, or any other administrator would of course "trigger" the deletion of the account.

Our problem does not appear to be "spam bots" per se, but consists of determined individuals who know that they can bombard the system for at least 12-24 hours without being "zapped".

Oh well, hopefully if a migration to a new system is made, the threads will be imported to allow for cross referencing. I'd hate to have to "flip-flop between an archive system and a current system when trying to find something.

[H]

You didn't ask for my opinion but I vote for new software Smile I would also be fine with starting from scratch and just leaving the old forum up for archive purposes.

We did that a few years back, I forget how it worked out. everyone kept their post count but you had to go into secret mode to find the old files or something like that. There is a WEALTH of information here that we do not want to lose.

Michael

You didn't ask for my opinion but I vote for new software Smile I would also be fine with starting from scratch and just leaving the old forum up for archive purposes.

We did that a few years back, I forget how it worked out. everyone kept their post count but you had to go into secret mode to find the old files or something like that. There is a WEALTH of information here that we do not want to lose.

Michael

Agreed,

It would be a cryin' shame if we lost all the information in the archives here...

Michael

Agreed,

It would be a cryin' shame if we lost all the information in the archives here...

Agreed, we'd never be able to replace threads like "Bacon", and "For Fini", and it would be a shame not to be able to re-read posts by djnick and the like.