3-D printer

artto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Has anybody seen one of these yet?Is Klipsch using it?

At the first or second pilgramage Trey showed us a prototype mold machine that made parts from CAD drawings, sort of like a CNC machine. But this "printer" can just scan parts with a hand held scanner and copy them even if the thing being scanned has individual moving parts.

I've seen this before. Jay Leno has one in his well stocked garage, as seen on Speed Channel's My Classic Car (Season 15: Episode 18). The Z Corporation's website (http://www.zcorp.com/en/home.aspx) seems legitimate.

Despite my total inability to understand how it can replicate 3-D moveable parts without first disassembling the item and scanning each individual part, my inclination is to believe this until it's proven to be a hoax. That said, the YouTube video in Artto's OP, is deceiving. The wrench scanned and the wrench "printed" are not identical. Note the scanned wrench has a round hole in the handle; the "printed" wrench has a wire ring attached to the solid handle.

Why would the producers of the video make such a mistake? Perhaps the process was speeded up for the purpose of the video and the wrench that was originally scanned was unavailable for the filming so they scanned another wrench. Without disclaimers, such obvious discrepancies open the door for doubt.

I've seen this before. Jay Leno has one in his well stocked garage, as seen on Speed Channel's My Classic Car (Season 15: Episode 18). The Z Corporation's website (http://www.zcorp.com/en/home.aspx) seems legitimate.

Despite my total inability to understand how it can replicate 3-D moveable parts without first disassembling the item and scanning each individual part, my inclination is to believe this until it's proven to be a hoax. That said, the YouTube video in Artto's OP, is deceiving. The wrench scanned and the wrench "printed" are not identical. Note the scanned wrench has a round hole in the handle; the "printed" wrench has a wire ring attached to the solid handle.

Why would the producers of the video make such a mistake? Perhaps the process was speeded up for the purpose of the video and the wrench that was originally scanned was unavailable for the filming so they scanned another wrench. Without disclaimers, such obvious discrepancies open the door for doubt.

Yes, I thought it might be a hoax too right after I posted this. And the Z Corporation website does seem to be legitimate.

After watching it a number of times it's apparent that the process takes a while, like maybe 1.5-2 hours to "print", not including scanning or data processing.

The reason I find this fascinating is in the late 80's early 90's I had a company called Cadscape (even got published on the front page of the technology section of the Wall Street Journal). We were involved with CADD and video imaging systems. Our imaging systems were producing photographic images of what the project would look like before it was built. I was approached by a number of Fortune 500 companies to use the technology for their building products. The part we were missing at the time was the scanning technology. We needed to be able to scan a whole building (at least a typical residence), image the new remodeling products onto the existing image, and then send the data to the factory where the required building products would be manufactured for on-time delivery thereby reducing inventory needs. The Gulf War came around and recession set in and the project never got off the ground.

So, I'm really interested how a hand-held 3D scanner and software can interpret the individual moving parts and replicate them into a complete product in one sweeping process. I have quite a bit of experience in putting together these sort of demonstration videos and I know how much and how many things are cut out to make it look sellable.

Think of the possibilities. In space for instance, no need to take tools or critical parts for repair along. You can just "print" one from the database. Restoring old vintage things like cars (Jay Leno) where the original parts are no longer available, a new part can be easily made from the old one.

But yes, I'm wondering how legitimate the whole thing really is. I'm sure we're not getting the whole story from that video. Fascinating none the less.

Klipsch is, in deed, using one similar to the one linked. At one of the pilgrimages in Indy we were shown different prototypes of remotes to control some of the HT systems they were designing. Don't think they were part of the beta testing for their ergonomics but it was definitly cool.

If I remember right it cost a small bundle to make just one remote prototype with that machine.

Come to think of it Al was showing us a tweeter phase-plug they were working on while we were there.

There is also a printer which prints out live tissue---hearts, human organs as seen on PBS

JJK

I saw a program how they are doing this today; by removing all of the cellular matter from say; a pigs heart. Only the proteins remain. New stem cells are grown on it and viola..... New heart.

They are doing this stuff NOW. Science fiction is becoming FACT.

artto said," But yes, I'm wondering how legitimate the whole thing really is. I'm sure we're not getting the whole story from that video. Fascinating none the less."

artto-

I've no doubt 3-D printing is real, but I still don't understand how a tool with moveable parts can be scanned and "printed" without first disassembling the original and scanning each part individually, then re-assembling the printed components. The Z-Corp white paper (an attempt to attach it failed due to file size) doesn't answer my questions. The white paper can be downloaded at the Z-Corp site (http://www.zcorp.com/en/forms/3DP+Tech+Whitepaper+-+Website/form.aspx). Perhaps I'm dense.

The machine shown in Jay Leno's garage is one from Dimension http://www.dimensionprinting.com/ . The video at that site is interesting but doesn't explain to my satisfaction how an original with moving parts can be duplicated with operating parts. In the Jay Leno segment of My Classic Car, Jay fingers a gear cluster that he "printed" and a power transmission chain he'd printed. Apparently, Jay went cheap and bought the $14,900 version that doesn't print in color. According to the Dimension's site, the color printing version is $19,900.

Do I think Jay Leno and several companies are part of a giant conspiracy to propagate a hoax? I do not. Nonetheless, it still surprises me that Z-Corp would use an obviusly flawed video to promote it's prroduct. Explaining that a lengthy process had been compressed for a video is understandable, but "printing" a wrench that is unlike the original is inexcusable. That's just the kind of opening conspiracy theorists love to exploit.

I agree with Neil, the wrench scanned is not the wrench printed. I have a friend here in town that has a machine that does this kind of duplicating. He uses it to make parts from which he makes a mold. It builds the part in layers until the part is complete. I dont understand how you can do this in a bed of powder. It looks to me like a magician using the art of deception !