BBQ/Smoker ???

oscarsear

• Moderators

Very organized, I guess you have to be or you would never keep up with everything you need.

Trophies are hard to win, these compitions are really tough, you have done very well. [Y]

Nice looking trailer, sticks, lump, charcoal, gas, a mixture ?

Very organized, I guess you have to be or you would never keep up with everything you need.

Trophies are hard to win, these compitions are really tough, you have done very well. Yes

Nice looking trailer, sticks, lump, charcoal, gas, a mixture ?

Thanks!

That space gets real small real quick at turn in time. There is a +,- 5 min turn in window and it must be perfect. Winning is really more luck than anything else, or at least that is all I can figgure anyway. We use good meat, are very happy with what we did then don't make the top 10 when it was a top 3 at the same event the year before. There is no way to know what a pannel of judges want to taste from their personal point of view so ya just put out what you can and hope it is what they are looking for THIS year LOL!

We use stick wood, the fire box runs the full distace of the smoke chamber so one side can get more smoke than the other depending on how we set the fire up and open which vent. It takes about 4 hours to bring the rig up to temp but once there, it is pretty much a rock, stability wise, that is made from about 3/8 thick steel, the whole thing, except for the warming / holding box on the end. We have found that the easiest way to light it off is with a "weed burner" running on a 5 gal propane tank. Setup the wood like you want, aim the torch at it for about 15 minutes and you just adjust the lit wood where you want it and continue to build the fire. (I just noticed, the 4 hour time seems to pop up a lot! I wonder if it means anything)[:^)]

There is provision for the use of water if you want it but we have never filled the water tank. I wish I could say that we still have that rig but we don't. The owner of the BBQ house that we had as a sponsor, died and the wife gave the rig to her son in law in another state to use. He was supposed to pay her rent for it each month but as it is out of our hands now, I don't know any more than that. However everything else in the photo is ours and we still have it.

Our fall back was to go with the home sized BBQs that each of us have at home so this year we are using three of them, each one different but they are ours and no one can take them away LOL!

I have a rig 1/2 built from a 36"dia x 3/8 wall pipe and a surplus Marine corp generator trailer. I guess I need to get busy and get it built, it sure is easier towing the rig than loading and unloading twice, those heavy home units into our trucks.

[:|]

• Moderators

We use stick wood, the fire box runs the full distace of the smoke chamber so one side can get more smoke than the other depending on how we set the fire up and open which vent. It takes about 4 hours to bring the rig up to temp but once there, it is pretty much a rock, stability wise, that is made from about 3/8 thick steel, the whole thing, except for the warming / holding box on the end. We have found that the easiest way to light it off is with a "weed burner" running on a 5 gal propane tank. Setup the wood like you want, aim the torch at it for about 15 minutes and you just adjust the lit wood where you want it and continue to build the fire. (I just noticed, the 4 hour time seems to pop up a lot! I wonder if it means anything)Huh?

[Y]

I have been reading alot from competition people and caterers and others who has been doing it for a long time and many do just like you described, some start with lump or charcoal just to help warm up and light the wood.

All I plan on is smoking around home never any where else but the ideas from people like them and you with all that experience helps me at home.

I just did some chicken on my Traeger over the weekend...I think it was the second time I have done chicken...one of my guests boldly proclaimed it to be the best chicken of any type he had ever eaten. I smoke almost every weekend, but have never gotten a comment of such caliber...made me want to cook chicken some more. I can reliably do a good pork shoulder every time, I am still not happy with my brisket or ribs. They are good, but nothing to write home about imho.

Had to laugh at your comment Cal...I worked all the days of the 4th weekend except Sunday...my wife asked me what I wanted to do on my day off...I simply proclaimed I was going to take a 12 pack of beer and smoke meat all day and would be busy. That was my first whole brisket...I think it got to temp too fast and I wrapped it a little late, but was still decent.

watched 4 episodes of "pit masters" last night.............gotta love Myron..............already told the wife last night I'm smoking 2 racks of ribs and a bacon wrpped turkey breast all day Saturday.

My newest favorite rub is made by the local and well known barbeque team "Wicked Q"........."classic blend" is excellent, produced many winners........and "sweet Georgia heat" is very good too.

It is so hot here in Athens..............there is really nothing better to do around now than just stay home, smoke meats, take it easy, drink refreshments, and try to not die of the heat.

I just got back from lunch and it is 101F right now. Heat index is 110F. There is barely any air to breath.

• Moderators

That was my first whole brisket...I think it got to temp too fast and I wrapped it a little late, but was still decent.

From what I have read brisket is one of the harder things to cook, (with really good results) and chicken is second.

I need to try a brisket soon, it's one of my favorite smoked foods, when it has a good smoke flavor and juicy, but can be tough as leather when not cooked correctly. I also want to try whatever it is for puled pork, I think it's a butt, I want something that cooks long enough for a nice bark.

First, thanks to oscarsear for bringing this subject up. Second, thanks to Cal for all the great insights.

I consider myself pretty good on the grill but I must admit I'm not even close to being in the same league with Cal and I don't have the trophies to prove it!!!!!! [:P]

Thanks to all for the great tips!

I need to try a brisket soon, it's one of my favorite smoked foods, when it has a good smoke flavor and juicy, but can be tough as leather when not cooked correctly. I also want to try whatever it is for puled pork, I think it's a butt, I want something that cooks long enough for a nice bark.

I have no issue getting an ok brisket....I always manage a good smoke ring and good flavor, the tenderness is what escapes me...I have read ignore the temp of the meat, I have read pull at 195, I have tried both leaving on unwrapped and wrapping at like 160 for the duration. I guess brisket is an art haha...and a fun one to practice. Pork butt or shoulder (from where you make pulled pork) has been very easy for me. I usually put a dry rub on, throw the smoker on about 200-225, mop with some apple juice/cider vinegar/brown sugar combo occasionally. The pork will stall at about 182 degrees...this is the temp that whatever holds the meat together starts to break down and it will sit at that temp for a long time. I just leave the temp as is and wait it out, once it starts rising again, I take it out at 190, let it sit for a bit, then pull and sauce it. It is always tender with a good bark. I usually smoke with apple and hickory for pork and mesquite and oak for beef.

• Moderators

I need to try that Ace, I have read before about how the temps stop and it's takes a while for it to start moving again, all, very helpful when trying for the first time. [Y]

• Moderators

I had no idea there were this many people here smoking and bbq, should have known it's food. [:P]

This is something some of you have done but for me it was the first time and I was very surprised at the taste.

This is really our second but the first was much better but no pic of the first time so I will tell the difference.

This was pork loin pieces, each piece about 1/3 of a loin. Cut long ways so it unrolls to a flat sheet.

post-11804-13819658975204_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

This is different than what is pictured here, the other is much better. This was pineapple, bell peppers and Italian sausage, it was OK.

The much better one was cut up apples a little brown sugar and butter, cooked enough to melt the sugar, let cool and put it on like in the pic.

post-11804-13819658985624_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Done, well it was slightly over done but still very juicy and taste really good, and was really easy. I have tried cutting them and stuffing and 50 other ways but this is the best way I have found yet. [Y]

post-11804-13819659007054_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Dtel,

Once again, that looks awesome. Nice combo of stuff. That should smoke up nicely. Is that hot sausage and hot peppers? What types?

I'll go get the Prilosec and the Preparation H.

I can eat anything any time of the day or night and never have a problem, I may get heartburn maby once a year if I really get stupid ?

It was just regular red/green bell peppers and Italian sausage, I would love to try one with some hot peppers, but I might be the only one eating it.....not a bad idea after I thought about it !

The apple and brown sugar one was really much better. Even being on a diet it was not that much sugar/butter when you divide it into slices like we eat it.

OK it's still cheating a little, on a diet but not trying to torture myself at the same time, I cheat a little but i'm still loosing much faster than I thought it would so I am happy. [Y]

I am no great Qer, I just got lucky!

That table is the result of 6 years of work for what started as 3 teams. We decided that we were tired of compeeting against each other and as each of the three teams did better in different areas, we combined forces and formed one team. All together, 16 competition years of compeeting, we have been together for a few years.

Anyone can enter and win in contests. Buy good meat, learn the basics of BBQ, do it a few times in your back yard, know what the judges are looking for, do some more in your back yard and when it is the best you ever ate, enter a contest.

There does not seem to be any ryme or reason as to who wins, there is no way to know exactly what the judges are looking for and what won you the last contest is only middle of the pack this contest, the exact same thing. Every contest is different.

If you do a good job of properly cooking your meat, make it look perfect in the turn in box and follow all the rules, you have just about the same chance of placing as the next guy, REALLY!

Start with smaller contests IE dont start with May in Memphis LOL, after a few times, you will have learned the ropes and who knows, you may just come home with a trophie!

Quality, attention to detail and pratice, that is the "secret" to winning[;)]