BBQ/Smoker ???

oscarsear

• Moderators

I'm guessing the pit calculator would not apply to a Stumps type smoker? I think that calculator is for the typical offset type.

I don't know, for the intake and the exhaust it would probably work but the part going into the smoking box is a little different on that style, but it still needs to not choke down the fire so I don't know ? Probably need to ask over there, that's a good question.

Welp...givin the ribs the sugar treatment, mustard has been on since 5pm last night. What a mess. These babies are going to completely destroy my smoker lol...

Wife didn't get back ribs though, she got sides. So trimmed off all the loose grissel meat and will do that with some montreal steak spice in the large broiler and only the good bone backs are getting the smoke treatment.

Both the kids and the wife have shown their distaste in the looks of the prep...but we'll see what they say when there all done. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators

Nice looking smoker, and the ribs look good, the bread looks good also with the stripes. [Y] Got some ribs in the freezer, can't wait.

Did my first brisket yesterday, it was finished at 2 am, 7 hours. It was seasoned, covered in mustard and more seasoning and smoked. It came out good, not a big smoke ring but plenty of smoke flavor, juicy and almost falling apart. I think it can be better, going to keep trying. [:P]

Threw a Turkey in there also, it came out perfect, brined the night before and just seasoned. Really expected the turkey to be a little dry but it was better than in the oven.

• Moderators

Looking at that smoker it could fit a brisket easy, maby a turkey also. The brisked was only about as long as a rack of ribs. I think I could fit 10 turkeys and about 10 briskets and a few ribs at the same time, but I couldn't afford to fill it ! [;)]

I made it a couple of years ago, our old grill was to small, even though it was as big as you could get in gas at the time without spending a fortune I would have to load it two or three times when other people would come over . So when I started building the new one I went nuts, half this size would be perfect, it has 23 square feet of racks now. A 12# brisket and a 16# turkey looks lonely in there.

• Moderators

I am looking forward to some nice pulled pork sammies though.

I never tried a pork butt, for pulled pork, got one of them waiting in the freezer also with the ribs.

The brisket is good but I need some hickory, I love the smell/taste of hickory, it's my favorite.

I talked to some people who sell firewood a few months ago and they told me the same price as oak, [Y] I need to get 1/2 a cord, it's cheaper that way compared to the bag stuff.

Dtel, we cook pork Boston butts all the time for pulling. The recipe we do most is simply covering the butt with red pepper flakes! To make the least mess we put the butt in a Walmart bag and cover with the pepper in there. Smoke the butt overnight and then wrap in aluminum foil and continue in the smoker til lunch time. Easily pulls apart and tasty.

Hickory: To me the best bbq is smoked with green hickory coals. It is a bunch of trouble, but it is the best IMHO.

• Klipsch Employees

Not a very good picture...but this is the "small" smoker that my Dad and I built back in "93". It started out a 150 gal LP gas tank...The first one didn't fair so good when we could not get it open to put the water in before cutting on it...Funny what a 44mag will do to a LP gas tank under pressure. I bet that thing went 80 ft up in the air...

Your problem is you don't have a smoker, you have a fancy grill. The way I cook, you don't get hot enough. I like to bring the temp up 450 or 500 to put a "crust" on the meat fast. I cover the meat with foil, then I let it die down to around 300 to slow cook. I turn the meat every now and then to make sure it cooks even. I use wood to cook with, thus the smoke.

I don't take off any of the skin on pork, but will cut off some of the fat on beef. When cooking beef, I try to use the "goose-neck". that is the top and bottom round stake. I like it better than the brisket, as you loose less weight and it is a much more lean cut. For Pork, I use the Boston butts...maybe because I like telling folks that I am cooking a$$. I get the bone in and use the bone to judge when it is ready...if the bone will pull out with no meat on it, its ready. (just like with the ribs)

I use a dry rub to start, but will put BBQ sauce on it while cooking if I think it needs the moisture. On beef, I have been known to put bacon down into the meat to add a bit of fat if it is a very lean cut of meat.

If you ever make it to Indy maybe we can toss something dead on the fire and see what comes out.

The main thing is to enjoy...

post-4254-13819659679248_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Trey, I think that picture is pretty cool! Awesome colors (dusk sky, blusidh-green boards, warmish deck, etc.). Funny about pork butts, they come from the other end of the pig!

• Moderators

I like that picture also, nice colors. Thats real close to the design I built, only difference is I only have one door and the end has the vertical area with the exhaust on top of that. I really like the logs for heat and smoke.

If I were smart I would have put mine on a trailer also, I can only move it with the front end loader on the tractor which is not very convenient. Might have to build a small trailer under it one day.

Trey, nice "little" smoker there, good job!

Uh, I will disagree with one small point though. By all means if you like your ribs that way, continue to cook them just like that but for competition, the meat must come off cleanly when you take a bite but NOT able to pull the bone out, or have the meat fall off the bone, if it does, you are over cooked and will be heavily maked down for that.

Sorry about your "first" propane tank problem, I bet it was fun though![;)]

• Klipsch Employees

The only competition we were ever in, Dad took 3rd...then they told him every one else used pork ribs...he used beef. He did a much better job with the ribs than I. And I like not having to work to get the meat off the bone...and I like thinks well done. Like audio, as long as you like what you have...

and the first tank opening was a blast...;)

• Like 1