BBQ/Smoker ???

oscarsear

• Moderators

Trey, RustOleum makes a 1000* paint in a quart for about $12 that can be brushed on or sprayed on.

The good part is you only need to get off the loose rust before you paint. It works good, It took 2 quarts to spray my smoker which is about the same size is yours. It saves alot if you don't have to sandblast to get it perfectly clean.

You do have to heat it up once after painting without food to cure the paint, a little smell comes off but not bad. So far it has even stayed on the firebox, I didn't think it would. If it comes off the firebox I can just repaint that part with auto header paint, it's good to 2000* but only comes in rattle cans.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=107

SPHhtBbqQtL.jpg

HIGH HEAT is a tough protective enamel that renews and protects surfaces subject to heat up to 1000° F. This

rust-preventive formula is ideal for barbeque grills, woodstoves, radiators, fire pits, fireplace screens, automotive parts

and more. Rich, satin finish.

Painting Conditions:

Use when temperature is between 50°F (10°C) and 90°F (32°C) and humidity is below 85% to

ensure proper drying. Priming is not recommended. Do not use on metal directly exposed to flames or in direct contact

with food, such as grill grate.

Preparation:

Remove loose paint and rust with wire brush or sandpaper. Lightly sand glossy surfaces. Clean with soap

and water, rinse and let dry.

Painting:

Stir thoroughly. If thinning is necessary, thin material only with mineral spirits or acetone. For brush or roller,

thin no more than 5%. Do not thin with gasoline, lacquer thinner, turpentine, etc. Apply with a good quality brush,

roller or spray gun. A second coat application is not recommended.

Dry and Recoat Times:

Based on 70°F (21°C)-50% relative humidity. Allow more time at cooler temperatures.

May recoat within 1 hour or after 24 hours. Dries to the touch in 2-4 hours and to the handle in 5-9 hours and is fully

dry in 24 hours. Allow to dry 24 hours before heating. Surface may emit smoke and harmless odor at first.

Clean-Up:

Clean roller and other application tools with mineral spirits.

Coverage:

150 square feet.

Well I got a hankering for a fall supper. I had 1/2 a brisket I was gonna smoke but decided to roast it instead. Did the mashed tators. Did the corn. And I made gravy and screwed it up. I ran short of butter. So I used other options, The roue I made for the gravy got sideswiped by olive oil. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK! Everything else was 100% grand. Gravy was motor oil. Got no butter? Go with corn starch or arrowroot or anything BUT olive oil. Maybe even try motor oil itself. My stupid. My bad. Glad I was the only one invited to dinner. Sandwiches tomorrow. Gravy down the drain and even it complained.

Did ribs yesterday and I would unfortunately say they were a 6/10. Could have been they were to thin and like Cal said at the beginning you have to start with good meat. Did a simple rub of garlic, pepper, cyanpepper and brown sugar. One problem I have with brown sugar here is I cant get the moist kind. They only have it like the consistancy of normal sugar.

5 Hours on my cheap smoker every 30-45 minutes with apple vinegar, apple juice and some rub (Kansas City Style) that I had left over. Bark was good, taste was good but a little on the dry side. Meat came good off of the bone. Did not have any wood so I only used coals only had to refresh after 2.5 hours or so.

For some reason when I smoke I have trouble getting moist ribs, any tips??

As Fini said molassess.

1 tsp to 1 cup of regular sugar = light brown

2 tsp to 1 cup of regular sugar = dark brown

Pretty much a standard kitchen sub. AND it won't dry out between uses and turn into concrete rocks!

Some GREAT looking eats have been posted here! You guys are going to make me crank up my little smoker yet! You HAVE gotten me to clean up some stuff by the shop and start to dig out the pieces of my yet to be assembled smoker on the trailer!

Three moles were travelling down their tunnel, when the first one stops, sniffs, and says "I smell sugar!" The second one stops, sniffs and says, "I smell honey!" The third one bumbs into the other two, sniffs and says, "I smell mole asses."

• Moderators

Gravy down the drain and even it complained.

That don't sound good, I try anything and eat just about anything.........so you can bet I have dumped some things I thought would work, you never know until you try it. Sometimes I make things that just I will eat, like pork chops sautéed in hot sauce and butter, I didn't even ask if anyone wanted any, the smell was enough to run them off. [:@]

• Moderators

Good tip on the molassess.

Some GREAT looking eats have been posted here! You guys are going to make me crank up my little smoker yet! You HAVE gotten me to clean up some stuff by the shop and start to dig out the pieces of my yet to be assembled smoker on the trailer!

It's working then............you know you want to build it, now if you just knew someone with a nice shop you could use ?

post-11804-13819660751434_thumb.gif

Now that's the Fini I love ! Yes

I do it all for you, dtel!

I'm not much of a joke teller (mostly because I can't remember them) but I do have a few. You come up with them all the time! I love 'em!

• Moderators

I do it all for you, dtel!

I know that's not true but I am always on the lookout for you name, it's usually funny.......except about trying to fix that turntable damper.......there was a bunch of things I almost commented on that sounded funny but you were being serious and it threw me off [:o] and I knew you were seriously trying to fix it.

Sometimes the meat itself will insist on being too dry. Was it brined? Did you soak in apple cider 24 to 36 hours first? Last rack I did (baby backs) was right over the drip pan filled with water and I skipped the mopping ---- attempting a more consistent heat. That worked pretty good. Mopping has worked for me too but the cook times end up longer because of the heat release each time, I'm beginning to think the no mop method is better because it's easier and the heat is not interrupted so much.