BBQ/Smoker ???

oscarsear

• Moderators

Well I pulled off the membrane, covered the slab in mustard, and rolled it up in a gallon ziplock bag. Tomorrow we'll do the brown sugar and the cookin! Party!!!

Waiting to hear how it does, sounds good !

I use the gallon ziplock bags alot, I use them to marinate chicken. The one I have in the refrigerator right now is soy sauce, cayenne pepper, tabasco chipotle sauce, brown sugar, old bay seasoning. It should have a little kick with the amount I put in there, been wanting some spicy.

I usually defrost the boneless, skinless chicken put it in the bag with whatever I think of and refrigerate for 2-3 days, don't trust it any longer. You never know what it's going to taste like, chicken it not easy to get flavor into the meat, I was a little surprised by that.

Well I pulled off the membrane, covered the slab in mustard, and rolled it up in a gallon ziplock bag. Tomorrow we'll do the brown sugar and the cookin! Party!!!

I use the gallon ziplock bags alot, I use them to marinate chicken. The one I have in the refrigerator right now is soy sauce, cayenne pepper, tabasco chipotle sauce, brown sugar, old bay seasoning. It should have a little kick with the amount I put in there, been wanting some spicy.

I usually defrost the boneless, skinless chicken put it in the bag with whatever I think of and refrigerate for 2-3 days, don't trust it any longer. You never know what it's going to taste like, chicken it not easy to get flavor into the meat, I was a little surprised by that.

it does sound better than the fast food joint hamburger that i had for dinner...although the burger was pretty good too.

Put the chicken (a whole chicken) in the smoker. You will be surprised how easy it is and how good it tastes.

• Moderators

haven't ate at home in a long time--i kinda miss it. going out ain't special anymore.

What you like to eat, cook yourself some, I would, simple is better and change it around until you find what you really like? It's easy for me I eat almost anything.

• Moderators

Put the chicken (a whole chicken) in the smoker. You will be surprised how easy it is and how good it tastes.

I have cooked whole chickens many times but not on the smoker yet, I know they taste better whole, just something about the whole chicken that taste better. I like to use whole chickens for gumbo stock, haven't done that in a few months.

Although everything will be tried smoked if I can get away with it.

I think his face says it all!

I can't take any credit for them, you did all the work!

I am glad you liked the ribs, we do use those in comptition. Sometimes they place and others they don't, it all depends on the judges but I do like to eat them that way regardless and you know that you have to sample your wares![:P]

Cal, I noticed you didn't mention Pecan as a wood of choice, any reason? I really like it, but I'm no expert. Ever tried it?

I'm sorry, I missed this post when it went up.

Pecan, no, we have not experamented with it much. We live in an orange producing area so orange wood is very easy to get. Myself and 5 other men got access to an apple orchard that had closed down and the trees were given to us to cut down and haul away. For a days work, each man came home with a standard pickup trucks worth of apple wood so we are set for a while.

If you like what you are doing, keep doing it! Lots of people like pecan, we just have not done much with it.

Sorry for the delay in answering the question[:$]

Has anyone tried manzanita wood in a smoker? For all I know, it might be poisonous. We have a plentiful supply on our property in Mt. Shasta.

Any of you guys watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS? I really like the show. They just tested charcoal smokers (not the heavy duty professional type), and they liked the Weber.

• Moderators

Any of you guys watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS? I really like the show. They just tested charcoal smokers (not the heavy duty professional type), and they liked the Weber.

That don't surprise me, it seems alot of the bbq people like Weber's and use them even when they have big smokers. Have you seen the price of a weber, they go for up to $300 for the fancy model.

Never heard of manzanita wood, you should get some when your up there next time and smoke with it. (and I don't mean lean against it and smoke) That's cheatin [8-|]

Oak, hickory, pecan are the most common trees for smoking here.

Talking about smokers, I have a shop made all stainless smoker. Earlier in the thread Cal B mentioned 225 degrees so I found a thermometer and checked my smokers temp. I was really surprised at the range of temps inside the smoker while cooking at any point in the cooking time. For instance in the middle of the smoker it was 225 degrees but over at the edge of the rack (farthest from the heat) it was only 170 degrees. I'm not too crazy about that big swing across 2 ft of rack. I might need to build a better smoker. Where are some plans?!

I have looked at about every kind of smoker available and of course while everyone will have their own preference, I beleive the ones that will control temp the best are a couple of different models I looked at.

1) Stumps vertical smokers...........you can add a GURU electronic temp monitor and damper fan that will give you rock solid straight line control. Evern without it, these smokers maintain very good steady temp control for a good 8-12 hours depending on the temp you want. They have a gravity feed charcoal shoot that feeds automatically.

2) Lang smokers..........feature the "Georgia" reverse flow drafting system. A no-brainer for nice evern control. Check out the Lang system. I have heard folks say the workmanship is not so great, but Lang recently put in some design and fabrication upgrades. There are other manufacturers that use this same design.

These are just 2 of my "dream" cookers. I couldn't really justify these nice cookers and I just use 2 old Webers that I keep refurbishing with new Weber parts and I enjoy the heck out of them and can keep it low enough to do some excellent butts and ribs. I'm sure it's not very accurate, but they still do a great job.

This weekend I used both and did a turkey breast wrapped in bacon on one and 2 racks of ribs on the other Weber. The turkey virtually disappeared. I barely got enough to just be able to judge the meat. My wife and sons devoured it.