Engineer Jim and the MCM(1900)

HDBRbuilder

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually reasd through this thread the other day. No one ever talks about the MCM stuff very much. In fact, very little attention goes towoard the Commercial forum.

Yes the history is great. I would love to hear more.

jc

he he he, we're changing all that aren't we guys?

M

bump- Phil H at Klipsch has a photo of the Hollywood Bowl setup at his desk. We need to get a copy of that.

I thought the story of Hollywood bowl was that the speakers were rushed for hanging and that the aluminum trim had to be brought at the last minute and attached by Klipsch personnel. Hunter had his Ampzilla hooked up to a few of the cabinets and someone on the crew/production team thought the 'PA" sounded fantastic- little did he know that it was only one of many stacks being powered by a single amplifier in this enormous stadium.

Did I get it right?

M

Gil, et al

Here's the link to the AlternaTIFF site. http://www.alternatiff.com/

Once you've downloaded the AlternaTIFF viewer, be sure to click on the test page. If you don't see the proper results, you'll have to change a setting in your Windows Explorer.

Here's the link to the gubmint's patent office search page. http://patft.uspto.gov/ Notice you can also search for patent applications such as Roy's.

A far simpler approach to searching for and saving patents is to go to Google's patent search site. http://www.google.com/patents

It will allow you to directly download the entire patent in one swell foop as opposed to one page at a time from the gubmint's site.

I've found that Google's patent search engine can miss all or some of the patents issued if you search only by the inventopr's name. Adding other info such as state , city or assignee (hee hee, he said assignee).

Lee

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

o not tell me you used

STADIUM SPEAKRES IN YOUR HOUSE

CAN YOU STILL HERE???????????????????????????

He's not alone. [;)] Mark 1101 made me do it also. [:$] There not stadium speakers if there in your house, you have to bring them to a stadium for that to happen !

It was nice to read this thread again. [Y]

o not tell me you used

STADIEM SPEAKRES IN YOUR HOUSE

CAN YOU STILL HERE???????????????????????????

I only play mine at about 85db in my condo. It's not how loud it is but how incredibly clear, punch, and low distortion everything is with amazing imaging. People still think the center speaker is on when I play just the two MCMclone stack channels 15ft. apart. They don't believe me until they put their ear up to the center Forte and it's not on. They just chake their head walking back to their seat.

Once you hear an MCM Grand........it's hard to not become addicted. They really do not take up as much room as you would expect. Mine are in a room that is roughly 17W x 26L x 10H in my basement. Plenty of room for them.

I agree. Mine are in a room less than half that size, and what else would you be putting in corners? Even if you get those snotty Brit direct radiator speakers, they recommend them to be about 10 Ft. apart and 6 feet forward from a back wall, which would make them stick out way more then my MWM bass horns anyhow.

There is nothing that beats the definition and low distortion, and transient impact of horn bass, period.

• 9 months later...

bump....

I decided to look in my favorites for Klipsch Forum link at work and found this link first. This is such a fun read about engineer Jim and his GAS Ampzilla and MCMs invloving the Hollywood Bowl and MCM stacks spontaneously combusting.

If you've never read this thread ENJOY. If you have, y'al might still like to reread every now and then. I probably will at home in the next few days. I guess that means I'm something of an Klipschanatic audio geek. LOL. I've been and oftean am I'm sure called much worse. [8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

• 11 months later...

bump....

I decided to look in my favorites for Klipsch Forum link at work and found this link first. This is such a fun read about engineer Jim and his GAS Ampzilla and MCMs invloving the Hollywood Bowl and MCM stacks spontaneously combusting.

If you've never read this thread ENJOY. If you have, y'al might still like to reread every now and then. I probably will at home in the next few days. I guess that means I'm something of an Klipschanatic audio geek. LOL. I've been and oftean am I'm sure called much worse. MusicMusicMusicCoolMusicMusicMusic

Thought it was time to bump this thread... Enigineer Jim, 5000 watts, and smokin' Motengators...

I had 4, then 2 MWMs bins in my setup for about 2 years. The MWM is a 6 foot horn, so instead I built an 18-foot Tapped Horn to go way lower......15 Hz. instead of 45 Hz., which is what the MWM does. Since the MWM is not very good above about 300 Hz., it was necessary to go with a midbass horn, which the Peavery MB-1 was the best match.....size wise and even more efficicient for lower distortion. I have since downsized to a PEQ'd FH-1 3-foot horn similar to a LaScala and went from 4 way with sub to 3-way with sub. It was difficult to replace the amazing sound of the Peavery MB-1, which I sold to Coytee, but with the K-402 and the 1133 Klipsch driver, I can get to 320 Hz. with the K402, so it's an easy fit with a PEQ'd FH-1 ("CheapScala") bin with the EVM 15L woofer that does an amazing job, expecially in the upper bass/lower mid., which is +4 db at 400 Hz. vs. the K-33. I needed to nudge the EQat 65Hz. and knock down the inherent 135 Hz. peak on the LaScala/FH-1 type short horn W bins to get to "normal" flat, but I now have incredible micro detail on bass notes all the way to female vocals...................couldn't be happier and I have one less "way" and more room on my floor.

THe MWM's were wonderful, though, I just had to downsize for a smaller domicle, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I sold my Khorns to get MWM's and had fun with them for about 3 years. My Taped Horn sub changed everything. I used to use 2 Large VMPS subs with the MWM, but I don't think they did as well as a single LAB 12 in an 18 foot tapped horn. Too bad I sold the MWM's before I had a chance to try them with a TH sub, but I simply didn't have the room.

• Moderators

Great Stories, thanks.

Your right, yes thanks, it's fun to read, and some is over 10 years old.

The bad part is some pic's would have been nice, since we don't have any I will stick a pic I got from somewhere ?

If anyone has a picture of a large Klipsch setup post them here....or start a thread to try and get a few together, why not.

This has nothing to do with anything talked about here, it is just a nice outdoor setup with Klipsch.

post-11804-1381980301982_thumb.jpg