Another Heresey Question

Big D: if you are asking can the Heresy woofer make bass the answer is yes. If you are asking if horn loading a Heresy woofer would reduce distortion and increase output the answer is yes. However you would no longer have a sub 2 cu ft cabinet loudspeaker. If you want a good efficiency loudspeaker in a small box you have to give a little. You can reach about 30 Hz. with a heresy woofer in a reflex box about double the volume but it won't play as loud. There is always a trade off (or two). Best regards Moray James.

jhoak,

i also remember posts on that project. it was a la scala cabinet scaled down to fit a 12 inch woofer.

as i remember, the reported sound was not impressive.

bigdnfay,

i don't think horn loading a heresy would improve the bass. well, if the horn was built right, it would have a bit less bass distortion, but the end product would still be more bass shy than a lascala. lots of folks think lascalas need a sub to sound complete.

Well didn;t want to let the cat out of the bag until I had a few answers. I didn;t want to look like a total baphoon. What I want to do is build a prosthetic cab to the Heresey without changing the existing cab. This is my idea. This was done in paint and is not to scale...here goes.

post-36461-13819659090574_thumb.jpg

You would be looking at a cabinet the size of that you have as your avitat. What exactly is it that you want? Designing horns is complex so why not work with somethingthat you can afford which does what you want? If you want something which is domestically acceptableyet makes bass and is efficient have a look at the Fortell Chorus ll Klf 20 / 30 or the CF3 / 4 loudspeakers. If you want higher efficiency that those offer (close to 100 db) you will have to make the jump to a La Scalla and then add a sub or two if you want bass extension. Khorns will give you bass and high efficiency and they can be found used from about $1200.00 up. Hope this is of assistance. Best regards Moray James.

Looks great but you would achieve less bass than a La Scalla given the size. Nice idea though no reason why this could not be done but you will require sub(s). I think that a SSPP reflex loaded sub would get you close to as clean as a horn sub in a smaller less complex package then run the Heresy with the subs. If you want to build a horn go for it but there are other options that would get you where you want to go for less effort. Good luck with your project and do keep us all posted if you go ahead with it. Best regards Moray James.

Good for you. You could use the Heresy volume to augment a La Scalla dog house and that would get you some additional bass. Mods to increase the volume of the La Scalla (dog house) and add reflex vents have been docummented here on the forum. Perhaps have a look to get an idea of sizes. Go for it and have some fun. If you can get the mouth area to equal or better a La Scalla you can achieve reasonable bass response. Best regards Moray James.

I scaled a drawing on a piece of plywood and the centerline from motorboard to mouth is 49 inches. thats assuming the motorboard opening is 6x71/2. It would be easy enough to make it longer by making it taller and putting in another bend. What would be the right size mouth to achieve lower Hz than 100.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing around using the driver I can see, keeping the old cabinet and building on to it sounds like a shack, and not even the Radio kind. ;)

I don't see why you would need more bass, always at the cost of some other quality, from all of your speakers. You only need ONE good source of bass per room, maybe even per house given the way bass carries.

My own view is that nothing beats a purpose built bass speaker. Pick a design and make one.

Do you have original Heresy speakers or HIIs?

If you have HIIs, the easiest thing to do would be to move all the parts into a Tangent 400 cabinet. They used the exact same parts (including the crossovers) from the HII. More bass, and the horns get up to ear level.

Tangent 400 specs:

• BUILT FROM:

• BUILT UNTIL:

• DIMENSIONS:
    35.5" (90.2cm) x 15" (38.1cm) x 14.25" (36.2cm)

• ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
    Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

• ENCLOSURE TYPE:
    Bass reflex via dual front-mounted ports

• FINISHES:
    Matte-finish Black vinyl

• FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    38Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB

• HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
    90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn

• MID FREQUENCY HORN:
    90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn

• MIDRANGE:
    K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms

• POWER HANDLING:
    125 watts maximum continuous (625 watts peak)

• SENSITIVITY:
    97dB @ 1watt/1meter

• TWEETER:
    K-76-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• WEIGHT:
    45 lbs. (20.43kg)

• WOOFER:
    K-24-K 12" (30.48cm) Poly cone (a mistake... it isn't a poly cone)

You could easily build a better cab than the MDF used in the Tangent.

Bruce

Even PWK had to deal with WAF, thus the creation of the Belle, after his wife Belle grumbled about the looks of the La Scala centre in their listening room.

"See, Belle, isn't that much better looking? I even named it after you!"