4, 6, 8 ohms?

reynolr

Trey's advice is correct.

@djk, too.

The original poster's speakers are 8ohm speakers. How is setting the impedence switch to 4ohms the correct advice? It's not.

I realize that the speakers' impedence may drop as low as 4ohms or even lower. Still, they are nominally rated as 8 ohm speakers. Any receiver spec'd to be able to drive an 8 ohm speaker will drive those speakers just fine with no need for the 4ohm impedence switch setting. In the original poster's case, since he has a 4 ohm and 6 ohm setting, and with those speakers, the 6 ohm setting is the correct setting.

• Like 1

"Still, they are nominally rated as 8 ohm speakers. "

Marketing people with an MBA are allowed to change the laws of physics by a factor of .1 or 10 as needed.

Go ahead and ignore expert advise, you deserve what you get.

He finally took some advice... to remain ignorant???

I have had my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver set at the 6ohm setting driving my Klipsch speakers for over 4 years without any issues at all. My owners manual suggests the 6ohm setting if my speakers are rated at 8ohms nominal. I don't understand the confusion.

Bill

DJK and Trey do not give bad advice.

I surely would never imply anything like that. They both know their stuff. For whatever reason I happened to be running Magnepans with my Onkyo(no reason to of course), I would definitely use the 4ohm tap. Even then, it would probably shut down before too much stress.

Bill

DJK and Trey do not give bad advice.

Sorry, but setting that AVR's impedance setting to '4ohms' when driving those particular speakers IS bad advice. Totally unnecessary.

And that that AVR's other available setting is '6ohms' (as opposed to '8ohms') would only tend to lend support to the idea that that AVR is more than robust enough to drive a pair of 8ohm (nominal) rated speakers with its impedance set to its standard '6ohm' setting.

A speaker that drops to a broad minimum 4Ω around 200hz should be run on the 4Ω setting. Without an impedance plot the easiest way to identify such a speaker is to measure the DCR across the input terminals, if it measures less than 4Ω, then I suggest the 4Ω setting (if your amplifier has one).

Also note that the HT-RC-180 does not carry an FTC rating for 4 ohm operation. They claim a 240 watt peak power rating for 4 ohms, whatever that means. They specify "dynamic power" without defining what that means. Peak voltage used to compute power output? At what amplifier ohm setting? I can't tell from their specs. Anyways, it won't do it continuously, per FTC standards.

Thanks, djk, for the curves.

Most solid state power amps I've seen have just the 8 Ohm taps. If the power amp is a "good" model, from a "good" company [whatever that means, thus the quotes], can I take the presence of just 8 Ohm taps to mean that they think their amp is hardy enough to be unbothered by drops to 4 Ohms with speakers that have broad drops? I was thinking particularly of my NAD C-272 power amps.

Crown? Some of the bigger ones will handle 2Ω. A Power Base 1, Power Tech 1, Microtech 600, will burst into flames with 2Ω. Heck, those units don't even like 4Ω. The Macrotech 600 has twice the number of outputs, and will drive 2Ω.

Most Crest handle 2Ω fairly well.

The HD series from QSC are designed for 2Ω. The RMX1850HD is an RMX2450 with a different transformer (lower voltage). Same heatsinks and fans and same number of outputs as the 2450, it can handle 2Ω much better.

• 9 years later...

I just got a 5.1 setup using klipsch speakers rated 8 ohms. My onkyo reciever gives me an option on setting for either 4 ohms or 6 ohms. Which one is ideal for klipsch floor surround sound set speakers rated 8 ohms on my 5.1 onkyo reciever? Which setting should I have my onkyo reciver on? 4 ohms? Or 6 ohms? It asked me which one the speakers were?

• 2 years later...

HI just a question i have a pair of KG4s and i noticed when i looked to replace the crossovers that on some models it says 4 ohms on the others its 6 ohms. How hard are these to redo if i buy the Crites kit myself or have them do it for 25 or so more I had a bad tweet and i replaced the diaphragm and they still sounded dull any help

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

HI just a question i have a pair of KG4s and i noticed when i looked to replace the crossovers that on some models it says 4 ohms on the others its 6 ohms. How hard are these to redo if i buy the Crites kit myself or have them do it for 25 or so more I had a bad tweet and i replaced the diaphragm and they still sounded dull any help

Welcome to the Forum, I'm not sure how much traction you will get with you question in this older thread. If you want me to move it the technical section where it will get more visibility let me know and I will move it. 

I have KG-4s, from 1986, and the have always loved them, but I haven't changed the caps. To make sure you get the original sound you are used to you would want to go with JEM Performance who sell the factory-authorized (and tested) caps, or you can have @Deang who installs the factory-authorized kits.  

Travis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

For your networks , stick with genuine  klipsch  capacitors  ,  aftermarket kits  will alter the sound  of your speakers  .