Alternate to Rc-7?

WeebMan

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used both the RC-3 and RC-7 with my RF-5's they both work well, but the RC-7 is a flawless match and considerably better than the RC-3.

If it is any option at all I would hold off and try to find a good deal on an RC-7, if price makes that impossible the RC-3 would be the next best.

But the sound quality, the perfect match blending with the RF-5's and the quality of the speaker cabinet with the furniture grade real wood veneer make the RC-7 more than worth the price difference between the two speakers. Other than using three completely identical speakers, the RF-5's with RC-7 are the best matching center and mains of any other I've heard.

Trust me, I want the RC-7. I've been looking everywhere but I can't find one. If I do find one, it's not the right color and it's 1000 miles away and shipping is not an option. I believe there are only 4 RC-7's left in existence today(that's how it feels!). I've scoured craigslist. My state and all my surrounding states. I've posted in the garage sale section and not gotten one offer. That speaker is rediculously rare. I've considered making the long drive to pick up Boboks RC-64ii. But even though it's a good deal, it's a long drive and it is more than I'd like to spend. Maybe I'll look into the RC-3... Is there much difference between the RC-3 and the RC-3ii?

Trust me, I want the RC-7. I've been looking everywhere but I can't find one. If I do find one, it's not the right color and it's 1000 miles away and shipping is not an option. I believe there are only 4 RC-7's left in existence today(that's how it feels!). I've scoured craigslist. My state and all my surrounding states. I've posted in the garage sale section and not gotten one offer. That speaker is rediculously rare. I've considered making the long drive to pick up Boboks RC-64ii. But even though it's a good deal, it's a long drive and it is more than I'd like to spend. Maybe I'll look into the RC-3... Is there much difference between the RC-3 and the RC-3ii?

If you just HAVE TO have an RC-3 that will get you by until you can find an RC-7, I've got one in rough condention (when viewed close-up), but sonically flawless that I could sell cheap. PM if interested.

So, I thought the RC-7 was timbre matched, but when I check the specs, the RC-7 has the giant tweeter where as the RF-5 does not. What's up with that?

Have patience and you will eventually find an RC7 but for now, just pick up the first RC3 or RC3 ll in decent shape for the right money and it will make waiting for the right RC7 much more tollerable.Stick out tongue

I have been trying to find an rc7 as well and it does seem impossible to locate one at all never mind a good price. The rc3 can be had for $130 or there about. Just get a 3 and keep up your search for the 7. Good luck

I have used both the RC-3 and RC-7 with my RF-5's they both work well, but the RC-7 is a flawless match and considerably better than the RC-3.

If it is any option at all I would hold off and try to find a good deal on an RC-7, if price makes that impossible the RC-3 would be the next best.

But the sound quality, the perfect match blending with the RF-5's and the quality of the speaker cabinet with the furniture grade real wood veneer make the RC-7 more than worth the price difference between the two speakers. Other than using three completely identical speakers, the RF-5's with RC-7 are the best matching center and mains of any other I've heard.

my exact same experience and opinion.

Would another rf-5 for the center work as well as an RC-7? I always assumed centers were designed specifically for vocals or something like that... Im leaning towards over paying on this fixer upper rc-7 on clist. 240 shipped. Its dinged and scratched, missing the grill and one woofer , and the other woofer has a dented dust cap...

Would another rf-5 for the center work as well as an RC-7? I always assumed centers were designed specifically for vocals or something like that... Im leaning towards over paying on this fixer upper rc-7 on clist. 240 shipped. Its dinged and scratched, missing the grill and one woofer , and the other woofer has a dented dust cap...

Some people like using 3 identical front speakers, if you are using a projector and screen of an acoustically transparent material the center could be behind the screen and in this case 3 floor standing speakers could work well.

However for most setups a floor standing speaker is not the best solution for a center as it just doesn't look good, also it's normally too tall making the display/screen placement too high and doesn't work with TV/audio stands.

So it is a personal choice but usually it's best to run the normal 2 front mains and a matching center channel speaker.

BTW $240 shipped is a very low price for an RC-7, yes it doesn't sound like its in very good shape but that price is the lowest price I have ever seen on any RC-7. The typical low price is about $450 plus shipping, sometimes you see the RC-7 for $350 but at this price it usually isn't in the best shape. I definitely can understand wanting something in better shape though and if this is the case they are always showing up for sale just be patient and keep your eyes on this forum's garage sale, ebay, Craig's list, etc.

When I bought mine used years back, I paid basically the high but I was happy to do it and I am still happy with my decision. I bought mine locally and it was in completely new condition. The seller drove to my home and personally delivered it to me and I paid $600.

• Moderators

Several years ago, when I first got into Klipsch, I picked up an RC-7 for $150 that was in great condition. Lady had a "Divorce Sale" on her craigslist ad. She was doing it just to spite her husband (soon to be ex) but as mentioned, those deals are very few and far between. Typical is $350 - $450 for an RC-7.