Speed enforced by aircraft

dtel

Good one!

On a related note, here's some police helicopter footage from a few days ago, shot above the Sea to Sky Highway, which runs north from Vancouver to Whistler, where much of the 2010 Winter Olympics took place.

The cops nabbed a dozen motorcyclists who'd been travelling at over 180 km/hr (112 mph), and some were moving at over 200 km/hr (124 mph). Five of the bikes were impounded and some of the riders were given instant 30-day licence suspensions.

There's some legal debate over roadside suspensions, since it's punishment without trial, but the police are getting away with it so far.

Video here: http://www.theprovince.com/opinion/blogs/Police+video+Motorbikes+race/5184290/story.html

The Sea to Sky Highway was always scenic, but it had just two lanes, so millions were spent to upgrade it a couple of years ago to accomodate the expected Olympic traffic. It's probably much safer now, but still a bad place to speed, what with few exits or turnarounds. Once you're spotted, you're out of luck...

BTW, the movie Butterfly Effect 2 was filmed near Squamish, a small town on the way to Whistler, and much of the story revolves around a crash on that highway.

Simple, effective, reduces the population

I didn't see any unsafe riding there, unless you consider exceeding posted speed limits to be unsafe by definition. The spotter in the helicopter commented on the speeds, but didn't seem to find the riding to be heinous or scandalous or crazy, just illegal. Maybe attitudes are different up here.

So where can I buy some of those missiles to shoot at the idiots that blaze by my house at 65 in a 25 zone? Angry

Oddly enough, I agree with you about those drivers (well, maybe not the missiles part), because that's likely a school zone, and in any case it's definitely not a highway, so those speeds are unjustifiable.

Simple, effective, reduces the population

I didn't see any unsafe riding there, unless you consider exceeding posted speed limits to be unsafe by definition. The spotter in the helicopter commented on the speeds, but didn't seem to find the riding to be heinous or scandalous or crazy, just illegal. Maybe attitudes are different up here.

I don't believe our attidues are very different, if at all.... at least that's my perspective, because I thought the exact same as you. And those highways looked pretty darn good, and traffic was mostly light..... but Barney Fife will tell you that the Law is the Law, and he'd be correct.

I would like to take a drive on the road that islander posted.

I'd like to give it a try also, and stretch my bikes legs. If your within 500 miles of CO, give some serious thought to riding the million dollar highway, between Montrose and Durango.