Projector People

Brunt

The only reason I'm with comcast right now is high Internet speed. If another company could provide equal speed Internet I would switch.

Chattanooga TN, has fiber to your door, 30 megabits to 1 gigabit per second, consistently. I am about 10 miles outside their install area. Provided through the Electric Power Board.

Of course, they still are getting content from someone...

Bruce

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 8350 simply outperforms my old Sony 55 inch tv in every way.Everyone that has viewed it said no more tv's for them except maybe the bedroom.The amount you want to spend determines the ultimate quality, Panasonic etc...very nice,The Epson though is rated top notch in it's class, and for bang for the buck it's hard to beat.

Usually hear good things about Epson...especially UB models.

Fixing the HD on cable would mean no recoding to get smaller bandwidth. Why would they screw themselves with less channel capacity. They are trying to figure out how to recode better to get more channels, less quality. You have to go OTA (wireless) to get the best quality. The cable companies montra is "how do we make more money?.

JJK

I see your point. I really do. But the cable companies will eventually need to go 1080 and improve sound quality or they will lose all their business to dish. The only reason I'm with comcast right now is high Internet speed. If another company could provide equal speed Internet I would switch.

More and more tempting too! Sunday ticket is now a throw in if you switch to Directv and sign a 2 year contract.

• Moderators

I too have heard nothing but great things from Epson projectors (although that somehow surprises me for some reason).

My Panny was a HUGE upgrade from my previous display. Going from 19" to 103" was quite a jump. Figured I would bypass the whole large screen TV. [:P]

klipsch.jpg

Yes, I can see it now---get our new cable 1080P package for $30.00 per month. Yuk.

JJK

I'm not following. Did I miss something? I thought it was sarcasm but then you wrote"yuk" at the end so now I'm not sure. For the record I wish all content was 1080p 2.35:1. That way all your displays would be the same. At what point do I get to stop paying extra for "HD" content? Should be included in all packages at this point. I wonder how the high def package is on direct tv?

Back to projectors!

Our Ht is a few years old now and we have the HItachi PJ=TX100, it is a 720 unit and at the time, it was a very good value for the money.

We run it on a 119" HD format, DaLite screen and we have no complaints, at all. There is about 1300 hours on the 2000 hour bulb so I guess it will last long enough for the 3D craze to either catch on or fizzle out.

We have a 2 month old 60" sharp edge light LED AQUOS for TV viewing and while it is very birght in day light and holds a slight edge in sharpness to the PJ, it is 1/4 the size and it is full HD, not 720 so I totally expect that.

We have a superbowl party every year and we have had nothing but very positive comments on the HT while running Dish HD to the PJ. We were feeding it with component for the longest time and just switched to HDMI after replacing the bedroom DVR with a HD unit. The only HD source we had until then was too far to run a non amplified HDMI signal. There was not much difference in the quality of the image though, not enough to say one was hands down better than the other. If, we could switch between the two sources in an A/B instant switching setup, I am sure we could see the difference but just trying to remember what the other looked like while looking at what we have now.... not so much difference.

I've had a Panasonic PT-AX200U now for a couple years, paid about $900 for it. I upgraded from a Infocus X-1 to get a greater zoom range when I went to a ceiling mount and moved the projector to the back of the room.. I love the Panasonic, I have about 1000 hours on it without a hitch.. It is only 720p, but has a great picture and is very bright. Great for gaming. Read some reviews of it, it has been called the "poor man's 1080p projector". I just checked and they can be bought for around $500 on ebay. Ironically I got it from "projectorpeople.com". Great service and knowledgable staff.

If it ever goes out, I'll probably go for the PT-AE4000 for the 1080p but I doubt it will be hugely better on my 84" screen.

For the record I wish all content was 1080p 2.35:1. That way all your displays would be the same. At what point do I get to stop paying extra for "HD" content? Should be included in all packages at this point.

I want 2.37:1 or "21:9" (really 64:27). I think this is what you were going with since the modern 2.35:1 is really 2.39:1 or called 2.40:1. I get what the overall point was though. Lets get our televisions on the same page as the theater productions.

Projections are really the way to go at this point as well. As the new formats get wider and wider, the displays look smaller. The reason is the "bigness" of the screen usually comes from the height of the picture. As the screens get wider, bigger screens are needed to get the feeling of "big".

I thought I wanted 2.35:1... Does 2.40:1 even exist?

I also want electric and tab-tensionned. Do I want white or grey? I have no windows so I assume white would be okay?

I want it about 10 feet wide and the projector at the back of the room, 18 feet from the screen. Thinking the Panasonic 4000, but I'm sure they come out with a better and cheaper model the day after I buy mine!

• Moderators

2.39:1 exists. Link

35 mm anamorphic prior to 1970, used by CinemaScope ("'Scope") and early Panavision. The anamorphic standard has subtly changed so that modern anamorphic productions are actually 2.39,[1] but often referred to as 2.35 anyway, due to old convention. (Note that anamorphic refers to the compression of the image on film to maximize an area slightly taller than standard 4-perf Academy aperture, but presents the widest of aspect ratios.) All Indian Bollywood films released after 1972 are shot in this standard for theatrical exhibition.

35 mm anamorphic from 1970 onwards. Aspect ratio of current anamorphic (wide-screen) theatrical viewings. 2.39:1 is sometimes rounded up to 2.40:1.[1] Often commercially branded as Panavision format or 'Scope.

• 3 months later...

Now that prices are coming down on the AE4000, I just picked one up. I was going to buy a used one, but for a $200 difference, I got a brand new one, with a 2 year warranty. Hooked it up last night. So far, very impressive machine. I still need to calibrate video, but right out of the box it is a very nice picture.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been living with this pj for several weeks now and still love it. Just an amazing picture! It is quiet, versatile and just a huge deal for the money. I'm not big into the current state of 3D, so this should do just fine for several years.

I have been living with this pj for several weeks now and still love it. Just an amazing picture! It is quiet, versatile and just a huge deal for the money. I'm not big into the current state of 3D, so this should do just fine for several years.

One place here has ir for C$2019, but the place that gave me a letter saying I can buy anything in the store with 50-month financing with no interest has it for C$2400. [:S]

Eastporters has it for C$1949, but I need to buy a screen from them at the same time. Problem is I want the projectot first in order to figure out what screen size I want. I might go 2.35:1 format since this projector can auto lens shift.

2.39:1 exists. Link

35 mm anamorphic prior to 1970, used by CinemaScope ("'Scope") and early Panavision. The anamorphic standard has subtly changed so that modern anamorphic productions are actually 2.39,[1] but often referred to as 2.35 anyway, due to old convention. (Note that anamorphic refers to the compression of the image on film to maximize an area slightly taller than standard 4-perf Academy aperture, but presents the widest of aspect ratios.) All Indian Bollywood films released after 1972 are shot in this standard for theatrical exhibition.

35 mm anamorphic from 1970 onwards. Aspect ratio of current anamorphic (wide-screen) theatrical viewings. 2.39:1 is sometimes rounded up to 2.40:1.[1] Often commercially branded as Panavision format or 'Scope.

What about Super 35's wide screen (i.e., 'Scope-like) format? Isn't it 2.35:1 rather than 2.39:1?

When we finally get our projector and screen, I'd be tempted to project 2.39 as 2.35, with the slight extra image width on the black velvet borders, so all 'scope-ish movies completely fill a 2.35 screen. Would the edges of a bright EXT. DAY dissapear on Semour's black velvet borders? I realize that the 70 mm 2.20:1 would have a little empty space at the sides, and the other 70 mm format, 2.76:1 (Ben-Hur) would have lots of space above and below, but that's life.

• Moderators

My screen is 2.35:1 and I've never noticed any "extra" width when viewing movies wider than 2.35:1. It must get absorbed with my 2" velvet border which from the sound of it, is what you are looking to do.

Matter of fact, the ONLY difference I see is between 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1. I have mine set as a CIH (Constant Image Height) setup so at no time do I ever have grey bars at top and bottom. The only time I have grey bars on the side is with 4:3 and 16:9.