The official Klipsh Community favorite recipe thread

jhoak

Perhaps we can get Ms. Unger to "sticky" this for us. (hint...hint...)

Either way I'll kick it off with a requested Cincinnati chili (Skyline) recipe. It's really good.

Ingredients:

3 medium white or yellow onions
1 pound ground chuck
2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated fine
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Spicey Hot V8 juice as needed
9 Ounces spaghetti, cooked and buttered
1 16 ounce can kidney beans drained and heated
1 pound cheddar cheese grated very fine
Oyster crackers for garnish

Cooking instructions:

Chop 2 of the onions and set aside. Chop the remaining onion very fine. Salt a large cast iron skillet with a smallish handfull or pork fat or a teaspoon of lard. Set the heat to medium and toss in the meat, the finely chopped onion and garilc. Cook until the meat is well browned. Drain off the fat. Add the barbecue sauce and water. Bring the mixture to a boil then add the rest of the seasonings. Cover and simmer over very low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring and tasting from time to time. Add some of the V8 juice if the mixture becomes too stiff to easily ladle.

Assembly instructions:

To construct a plate of 5-way layer the spaghetti on a plate, top it with the hot chili mixture, then a layer of the heated kidney beans, followed by a layer of the chopped onion and finally a generous layer of shredded cheddar cheese.Serve Immediately with oyster crackers on the side.

If you have the time the chili mixture is MUCH better the second day when allowed to set in the fridge overnight and reheated.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I'll go second. This is a very tasty thing called Southwestern Shrimp. You can use lots of variations on this, but I like this version best.

Southwestern Shrimp

1# large Gulf Pink Shrimp. the big suckers. cook about 3/4 done, peel, devein and remove tail, butterfly, leave a little hinge on the back side.

Cut small strips of yellow cheddar cheese

Cut strips of Jalapenos Peppers, size depends on your taste

Cut strips of Bacon long enough to wrap the shrimp with the cheese and halapenos, cook the bacon about halt way done.

Unfold shrimp, lay in the cheese, Jalapenos, fold shut and wrap the entire thing with the strips of bacon, use tooth pick to hold the whole thing together.

You can use a outdoor grill or your oven broiler, cook until the bacon is cooked, when almost done put a little of your favorite BBQ sauce, finish cooking

Just remember, don't eat the toothpick

Enjoy

CB

2 bottles of good dry white wine, chilled....... one whole dry salami (or similar), wedge of stilton cheese, wedge of white cheddar cheese, bottle opener, glass, knife, napkin. and serve..................

OH... I've done this one. You left out the bread and the "where"

For me it was a really good French baguette and watching the sun set at Ocean Shores, WA.

Seafood Gumbo

for a big

group

Roux

cups Crisco

2 ½

cups flour

Hint: Cook Roux slowly till it is the

color of a Hershey’s chocolate bar.

Vegetables

yellow onion

bunch green onions

fresh parsley (a big handful)

celery

fresh mushrooms

Hint: Chop all coarsely. My mom adds jalapeno pepper

rings to hers. Alabama people generally aren’t that tough.

Seafood

pounds pealed shrimp

pound crab meat

pint oysters

cans minced clams

pounds good smoked sausage

Hint: Make sure you marinade the shrimp

in a little Cajun seasoning (like Tony’s) for an hour or so before adding it to

the Gumbo.

Hint 2:If the oysters smell “fishy” don’t put the juice

in the gumbo

While you are making your roux, start cooking your

veggies in a big pot about 1/4 full of water. Add roux very carefully when it’s

finished. Add all your seafood and sausage. Season with Cajun seasoning, salt

and pepper and garlic, if you like. (I don’t like garlic in gumbo). A good Cajun

cook tastes often to make seasoning adjustments. (None of these calories count

J) Once the gumbo comes to a boil,

it is ready to eat. Serve over hot rice.

If you think it’s good today,

wait till tomorrow!

post-34863-1381966099556_thumb.jpg

My favorite:

During the holidays there is usually one big meal on a night with a birdzilla and five side dishes with three people or more cooking. Some other night you need a more simple dish where everything can be prepared by one cook (yourself) in a few hours.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/twarda/recipes/Beef_in_Burgundy.html

The Frugal Gourmet gets delicate with the bacon and the beef. I don't think it is necessary at all. I'm not sure that even browning the beef is really necessary. More bacon, mushrooms and garlic works well.

We're all keeping an eye on the butter thing. You can use your oil of choice as a substitute. No one complains.

If you can find beef broth without preservatives I would suggest that.

What exactly do you get when you buy stew beef? I don't know. I've cut up round or chuck. Round might be more flavorful.

I usually make this in a big pot on a stove top rather than in the oven. You've got a lot of liquid and so you can use high heat to bring it to a simmer and then switch to low heat to let it simmer for a couple of hours.

The common wisdom is to not use wine which you would not drink. It doesn't have to be expensive.

I serve with noodles and a salad.

The paperback book by FG says to to serve with a salad way too much wine. In a half hour you are going to be famous. That is true.

There are thousands of recipes for beef burgundy. This is one which works for me.

WMcD

Here is one from Germany, my Father in law made this one and we always thought it was a winner!!

Sauerbraten „Jupp’s Recipie“

"
Beize" (marinade)

0,5 Liter (about 2 cups) Water

1 Holland Breakfast cake, this is a little hard to describe it is kinda like gingerbread but very moist I guess you could use gingerbread as a sub.

Vinegar*

1 Table spoon
Mustard seeds

1 Teaspoon
Pepper corns

4-5
Bay leaves

3 medium onions

1 Teaspoon. allspice

7 cloves whole

Dill to taste

You will also need:

5-6
large beef bones

Mix of wild mushrooms

Rasins

"Makin it"

Crumble the "Breakfast cake" into the water and add the rest of the marinade ingred., bring to a simmer and leave it there for around one hour.

* Add vinegar to taste (I like a little more) when the water is cold!!

Then

Add 1,5 Kilo (about 3,5 lbs.)
Pot roast or other braising meat of your choice and let sit cool for 3 to 7 days turning once a day.

Drain the meat good and sear on all sides in oil or fat of your choice (we have something here called Butaris it is like gee and basicaly strained butter that can withstand some good heat.). Boil out the bones and add the rest of the "Beize" along with the rasins and mushrooms to the meat.

Let simmer about 2-3
hours at low to medium heat.

Serve with Dumplings
and Red Cabbage.

Guten
Appetit!!!!!

2 bottles of good dry white wine, chilled....... one whole dry salami (or similar), wedge of stilton cheese, wedge of white cheddar cheese, bottle opener, glass, knife, napkin. and serve..................

Alternative 1: 2 (or more) bottles of good full bodied red wine, room temp....... one whole dry salami (or similar), plenty of chèvre (French or Canadian), a mix of Greek olives, bottle opener, glass, knife, napkin. and serve (with good music in the background..................[/

Recipe #1: Olive oil, white wine vinegar, basil, oregeno, thyme and minced garlic marinated shrimp and chic breasts on the barbie. Fresh home baked bread and a nice 3 bean salad with some feta cheese. Desert? pineapple chunks, grapes, apple slices and banana slices, drizzled with honey, sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg, and some brown sugar.

Then the obligatory movie and a nap.

#2 will follow later after my nap....

[H]

Well I just purchased some software for recipes/cookbook. I will try to type/scan/copy/paste or what ever means to get the recipes in some type of consistent format. Please bare with me as I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this computer stuff. Pictures will be fine or anything else you wand to include. There is some other good stuff in the BBQ thread. So, give me your favorite recipes.

CB

Recipe #2......

Part#1: Red kidney beans, Garbanzo's, straight cut green beans, half an onion, half a cup of Romano, half a bottle of vinaigrette, add some cracked pepper.

Part#2: Big a*ss 2" thick steak..... Cut into 6" rounds, trim excess fat. Marinate in soy sauce, salt, papaya, and garlic for about 6 hours. Then wrap them up with bacon.

Grill the steaks, serve the salad.....

[H]

• Moderators

Fattie

This can be made 1000 different ways which is the good part.

For size reference, the small tube breakfast sausage X 3

Season with your favorite flavors, including the bacon.

You can use anything even beef or mix just ground pork or beef, seasoned or not, your choice.

Use clear wrap or foil and lay out the sausage in a rectangle about 1/4"- 3/8" thick. See pic

Add "other ingredients, this is also something you decide depending on what you want.....

Eggs, hash browns/potatoes, bacon......for a breakfast style

Pepperoni, sauce, mushrooms, or whatever you like on a pizza

Cooked pasta, tomato sauce, cheese, or whatever you like for spaghetti and meatballs

We tried one with seasoned ground turkey on the outside, Pineapple, red and green bell peppers and mozzarella cheese on the inside. I plan on trying many different versions.

I have even seen chili dog fattie's

As you can see you make it how you like....experiment

You add the interior ingredients in the amount that you can still fold up all the edges to completely enclose it in the sausage

It should look something like this, it's easier if you refrigerate it for an hour or so to harden it up a little, unless your going to cook it in a pan or on the foil, so it doesn't start to fall apart on the grill.

bbq-2-1.jpg?t=1311016370

bbq-3-1.jpg?t=1311016370

After it is rolled up with only the outside sausage showing place it on bacon, if you like bacon, we use turkey bacon. Place the bacon something like this. You can weave the bacon or just wrap it. This was my first, I found out later it's much easier to put the fattie on top of the bacon and wrap it around and hold with toothpicks. I messed this wrap up.

bbq-4-1.jpg?t=1311016370

I smoked it but you can cook in the oven, [:$] about 225* for 1.5 - 2 hours, depending on if ingredients inside are raw, check this by inserting a thermometer into the center to check. Cook according to your ingredients, poultry is 170* to be safe, other meats according to how rare you want them.

bbq-10-1.jpg?t=1311016370

I put this recipe because it can be made with your favorite ingredients and is simple, even low fat by using turkey and Turkey bacon.

i want to participate but the only thing i can offer is: (1) drive up to the signage; (2) yell your order into the microphone; (3) pull forward to the window to pay and get your food. I use this recipe for every meal, everyday and it works...but, it is getting rather old. [:(]

Recipe #3 - Tuna Burgers

Easy, fairly healthy, and another excuse to use BBQ grill....

2 cans of tuna packed in water, well drained1 egg1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs4 tablespoons of mayonnaise1 tablespoon chili powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Using a skillet, slightly brown a 1/4 cup of fine chopped onion and a 1/4 cup of fine chopped bell pepper (This is important because you need to remove alot of the water in the onion and bell pepper). Wne done, put on paper towel and let drain and cool for about 30 minutes.

After the onions and bell peppr pieces are cool, mix all the ingredients except the egg and breadcrumbs Then add the egg and breadcrumbs; work the breadcrumbs and egg in the mix thoroughly. The mix will be a little soft, but after you make the patties, place them on a plate and put in the fridgerator for about 30 minutes.

Use a smaller grill, like about a 18" Weber "bowl". make sure the coals are hot and you coat the grill rack with a high temp B'q spray or vegetable oil.

Put the patties on and after a couple of minutes, use a BIG flat burger "flipper" and carefully slide under, use your fingers on top and turn over. It does not take too long for them to cook.

Burger buns, lettuce, tomato, hot sauce, etc.

Good eatin' [Y]

[H]

In an effort to help our esteemed brethren between DC and New York who in a few days will be reduced by Monster Hurricane Irene to scavenging for food... (LOL), here's a tasty recipe that uses "available resources".....

(All hail for Dtel...!!!)

Tasty Squirrel Barbecue!!!

You'll need to attract them with some nuts (the kind in a jar or can...) NOT the non-detachable, or the next door neighbor's weird in-laws.... Then throw a net over them and just play "wacka-mole" until you have a couple, few out for the count...

If you don't know how to "dress" fresh game like rabbits, etc. No problem. Chop off their feets and head, then peel the skin off like a tight banana. Carefully slit open the guts area and remove the guts. Rinse well and put the rinse water in your toilet.... Then chop 'em up into legs, thighs and breasts.

Here's what you need.

• 3-4 squirrels, cut into serving pieces

• Some marinade in your pantry

• garlic powder

• salt

• pepper

• Creole seasoning

• your favorite bbq sauce

• and.... a barbecue grill 'cause the wall thingies, microwave and the oven don't work when the power is out....

Place meat in a large ziplock bag and cover with the marinade. Put the meat in a cooler with ice for about 2-3 hours. The longer the better. Then about an hour before you think you are going to starve to death, season with garlic powder, salt, pepper and
creole seasoning.

Fire up your grill. For city dwellers, do that out on the fire escape landing, NOT inside your apartment... the carbon monoxide will kill you....

Lay out the meat on the grill. When squirrel is done, remove it and baste with
bbq sauce again. Do not overcook! you don't want the meat to get tough!

Remember, this a "just in case", emergency and you're gonna starve because the local pizzeria is closed., etc. etc.

You can also do it with the #1 urban pest - the pidgeons... They're stupid and if you have some stale bread laying around, the suckers will march right into a grill for you....

Do not attempt to use the neighbor's cats, etc. because you will need additional traditional Korean cuisine ingredients to do it right...

CAVEAT: (This post is for humorous and entertainment purposes only. This is not intended in any way to encourage harming innocent wild creatures, or advocate unethical treatment of animals. Besides, from an ethics standpoint, they should be served in the most tasty fashion... [6])

Just kidding folks, but the recipe actually works very well if you are into the huntin', fishin', survive in the woods for a couple days stuff, etc.

[H]