GUITAR

BigStewMan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Longtime classical guitar player reporting for duty, sirs & ma'ams. We play with all fingers on both hands, an orchestra in our lap.

I'm down to two fine luthier-built classicals...a cedar/Indian by Peter Oberg of San Diego and double-top spruce/Honduran rosewood by Randy Reynolds of Colorado Springs.

Longtime classical guitar player reporting for duty, sirs & ma'ams. We play with all fingers on both hands, an orchestra in our lap.

I'm down to two fine luthier-built classicals...a cedar/Indian by Peter Oberg of San Diego and double-top spruce/Honduran rosewood by Randy Reynolds of Colorado Springs.

what does "double top" mean? Got any pics?

I learned by flailing away at the strings, closely approximating Travis style, and not disciplined enough to learn a better method... [:(]

Josh... link to Reynolds guitars, explaning the double top ...

http://www.reynoldsguitars.com/dtop.shtml

Bruce

I learned by flailing away at the strings, closely approximating Travis style, and not disciplined enough to learn a better method... Sad
Hey, that's what I did!

What is amazing to me is how fast and easy the best guitarists connect their brain to the guitar strings via their fingers. It's like takiing a piss behind the barn to them.

JJK

yeah, it is impressive to watch a "pro:" but, you'll be surprised how easy it is. Granted MUCH practice is necessary. When you look at a song as a whole, it can be quite overwhelming; but, when you break it up in parts, it suddenly seems much easier. Gotta work at it though--but even that can be fun. Steve

wow... nice thread. I've been playing seriously since I was ten years old, about 39 years now. I started out playing classical for more than a decade, then I moved to thick hollow bodies for amp music(es335's and stuff like that), I don't play any amplified music any longer, just Acoustics... I am a bit of a Martin Guitar nut having bought and sold so many martins I can barely keep track.

My next purchase would be a froggy bottom acoustic h body or if I did ever get another electric it would be a Danny Gatton Telecaster in gold, but for now I am happy.

wow... nice thread. I've been playing seriously since I was ten years old, about 39 years now. I started out playing classical for more than a decade, then I moved to thick hollow bodies for amp music(es335's and stuff like that), I don't play any amplified music any longer, just Acoustics... I am a bit of a Martin Guitar nut having bought and sold so many martins I can barely keep track.

My next purchase would be a froggy bottom acoustic h body or if I did ever get another electric it would be a Danny Gatton Telecaster in gold, but for now I am happy.

Schu-have you ever played a Godin? I don't know much about them; but, briefly messed around with one at a Guitar Center. It was VERY light (which I like), comfortable, and easy to play. Still got my eye on a Taylor T5--but that's delayed thanks to my recent purchase of a new catalytic converter [:(]

Schu-have you ever played a Godin? I don't know much about them; but, briefly messed around with one at a Guitar Center. It was VERY light (which I like), comfortable, and easy to play. Still got my eye on a Taylor T5--but that's delayed thanks to my recent purchase of a new catalytic converter Sad

I have not...

I try not to go into GC to often, and when I do it's for kicks and giggles. you know how it is in the acoustic room, most folks are a little shy when the wodner in there... I go in and look for the cheapest piece of junk i can find that stays in tune, then I play that little guitar as hard and with as much project as I possible can. it always go quite after that..lol

Schu-have you ever played a Godin? I don't know much about them; but, briefly messed around with one at a Guitar Center. It was VERY light (which I like), comfortable, and easy to play. Still got my eye on a Taylor T5--but that's delayed thanks to my recent purchase of a new catalytic converter Sad

The Godin Electrics are one of the best values going. This is my old Godin LG_P90, that I sold to my neighbor. This model is only about $700 new. I boughtit for $300 and sold it for the same. Setup on it was great and the build realyy, really good. This one was solid mahogany.

Bruce

post-7149-138196627452_thumb.jpg

i was just listening to some clips of Paul Gilbert on You Tube--that guy can play. Would love to play that fast and still be rhythmic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4MtbX5GkUU&feature=related [sorry mac and safari...and don't know how to make an active link} this is a lesson clip; but, at about minute 1:55 his fingers start flying.