Flooded Domo

oldmako

My Domo flooded to about 8 inches and my guts are torn and mangled. My suckmeter is pegged. I have an odd desire to harm small defenseless creatures and take a baseball bat (or crowbar ala Walter Sobchak) to a cars windshield. I now know what's its like to have been FBASITA!

My CF3's took it like a man and stood tall. The ports allowed the water in the front to just below the bottom woofer. I've had hairdryers shoved in them for two days now, but the MDF is swelling and will surely crack and check. Fortunately they still sound great and I have been wailing on them over the roar of huge dehumidifiers and drying fans. I'm afraid that they'll die so I want to get all out of them I can before that day.

My KG3.2's became buoyant and flopped on their faces and floated around like ducks. Poor bastards. They were already in fairly rough shape. Since I paid almost nothing for them that helps ameliorate their loss. Perhaps they'll work once dried.

My F*%^@#g albums...sat in the water for over three hours and their jackets are completely ruined. I'm sick.

NONE of the crap I don't care about was ruined, just the GOOD stuff. Heck I can get carpet and drywall ANYWHERE.

How can I salvage the albums? I figure that the grooves are full of grit from the dirty water. Can they be cleaned with a reasonable level of success? Because if they're going to be noisy then I'll just toss em. 40 years of music trashed. A timeline of what I have liked since I was a kid gone due to the inadequacies of the local storm sewers and a very large stationary storm.

All the electronics and my Academy are fine. Back to the liquid pain killer.

Man, I am so sorry to hear about this! Hang in there man, at least no lives were lost! (Yeah, I know, that dosen't help at all)

Get the records out of there sleeves and covers and let them dry, mold is hell on records!

...and continue the "liquid pain Killers" until it dosent hurt anymore!

Again, So, So sorry to hear that this happened!

Dennie

• Moderators

Really sorry to hear this, don't blame you for feeling sick. I think you can save the records if you can get them to dry but that's going to be a little hard with everything else wet and humid.

Sorry, wish I was a little closer i'd try to help.

Good luck, I know your mad but don't do anything dumb........with a crowbar.

Wow! Very sorry to here that! Heartbreaking.

Take stock in what you have, your life for one. The vinyl itself should be fine. A huge project, but Denny is right, you don't want mold. You need to get the covers dry asap and out in the sun and pressed flat. Rinse the vinyl, dry and put them in some new polysleeves. Thery are not that much, 20 to 40 cents each I think.

Almost any record is worth that. When the covers dry if it is soon and they were pressed flat, they still should be usable. Not like they were but usable.

I hate to ask but did you have any insurance? If so, I would fight hard for a good settlement.

Good luck man. Sorry!

Man, There are no words that can make a difference in these circumstances.

No kidding - it's almost akin to a funeral or something. That's a heart-ripper - and the stuff that Klipsch Forum nightmares are made of.

I guess one positive is that the OP is in the right place to begin what rebuilding is necessary. Sympathies, empathy, and best of luck on that.

BTW - any chance this stuff was insured on any level?

Many thanks for all the kind words. I'm not really morose
because as Les said, "it's just stuff!" Name that movie and win your lady friend a kewpie doll. But using the innernets to find the answer is cheating. ;) That disclaimer aside, music and
my gear are items that I enjoy constantly when home and long for
when on the road. I travel for work and when on the road I often enter a
funk just because I miss my music. Hell I can eat, sleep and crap anywhere,
but I get to listen to MY tunes on MY gear only when I'm home. So the
search for more gear continues. Today I sent out offers on a pair of KLF30's and Forte II's.

I rent, and have "renters insurance". IOW, I have bupkis. Had the place gone up in a great conflagration I'm sure there would have been an "out" in my policy for that as well. So....along with the furn, an amp, vacuum, speakers, tools, and a whole boatload of other "stuff" I'm hosed. Thankfully I have a second stack of gear upstairs (minus the albums).

Ultimately I think that the CF's will be fine but with dicked up cabinets. But they're big and any imperfections will be readily apparent. Before this they were 9's, perhaps an 8 to the most discriminating and looked fantastic. I loved to fire them up for those who know nothing about decent audio and watch their expression. And I loved to go clockwise with the big knob and alter mine.

In closing, this Gin & Tonic is fantastic and my kid still thinks I'm cool. How many parents of teenagers can say that?

Drinkin is great, but post flood some things need to be done quickly, usually cleaning BEFORE the flood water drys on it. Anything that isn't like a sponge should be easy to save, the more something soaks up water the harder to clean, but even books can be saved.

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/pdf/Preparedness/file_cont333_lang0_150.pdf

Bummer. For sure get those lps out of their sleeves. Here's a tip. Much of what you may have may be around in thrift stores and such, the wax may be beat, but the covers fine, and for a buck you can replace the covers.

I, and many others here, probably have some beater wax with good sleeves, so post a list when you get around to it, and we can ship same. After all, doesn't cost but pennies to ship empty cardboard.

Insurance. was this a real flood, or sewer backup etc.? Renters insurance, in some respects is better than homeowners, cause it may actually allow flood damage, since it's insuring content, not structure. Time to go over that policy again. Don't trust the company, and not necessarily your agent. Agents are lazy, and many companies automatically disallow claims hoping you will go away.

So sober up and get to work. after all next Friday night's not that far away.[:D]

The policy verbiage is minimal and of course you could hear the underwriter laughing under his breath when explaining just how non comprehensive the policy actually is, but I'll dig mo' deeper.

The evening of the flood the city had 8 large sucker trucks out on the main drag behind my place. The important distinction here is that the water came not from the direction OF the water (Chesapeake Bay), but from the opposite. Since the flood I have seen more municipal work crews out messing
around in the streets than I've seen in my whole time here. Makes one
wonder just what is going on.

There is a new gas station going in less than 500 yards away. They had a large diesel pump running all last week in an attempt to pump out the large pits the gas tanks will live in. Days and days of pumping.

I was told today that they or another contractor may have messed up the drainage pipes along the main drag, so this may also be a factor.

I've lived here for 10 years and have been here through many prolonged periods of heavy rain. I've never seen an inch in the parking lot until just a few months ago when the rain water backed up to the tops of the curbs. Factor in hurricane Isabel last month and you have a tremendous amount of foliage down, most of which ended up on the storm drains. I can't help but wonder if the drainage was impaired and was the reason behind the flood.

Needless to say, my neighbors and I are keenly interested. If I had to guess, well over 100 cars were totaled by this flood in my area of town alone. There are piles of carpeting, padding and drywall all over my neighborhood. It would be nice to get some renumeration from the renumerators, no matter who they may ultimately be. I'm not looking to win the lotto, just to be compensated by someone for what I lost if there was a screw up. The only part of town that flooded was mine and the whole place is flat as a pancake.

Get out there and get as many pictures of the "Work" going on as you can. This may save your *** Butt, when no reason is found for the flooding. tappingfoot.gif

Good luck and hang tough, it sucks but you'll get through it.

...and like Marty said, let us know the Album Covers that you need to replace and we can check for extra copies. [^o)]

Dennie

What the helll! I would rip the insurance company a new one. Do you have a friend who is a lawyer that can check the fine print?

A friend was in a similar situation he lost over a thousand records. That was just part of his collection that was on the floor. He cleaned every record as best he could and then kept a database on his computer for the albums that were trashed or even without covers. Then he looked most of them up online for value although some were so rare that you couldn't compare to anything else. He sent this in to insurance company with the other claims and paid a decent amount on his records. I was surprised.