Dual Velodyne HGS15's in the HOUSE!

Youthman

• Moderators

Today I picked up a second Velodyne HGS15. [:D] 1 year of patience has paid off.

I'm hoping to be able to spend some time this weekend doing some A/B comparison with 1 vs 2 subs. I'm curious how much difference it will make in my setup.

Last weekend I cut and painted a bottom shelf for the bottom right cabinet. You can see the left sub is laying on the floor while the right sub is level with the front of the cabinet. My intent was to make a media storage area in the bottom right area of the false wall. With the 2nd sub installed there, I no longer have anywhere for DVD's, CD's, Blurays and PS3 games. [:(]

I really do not "need" a second sub. The single HGS15 paired with the RF-83's provides more than adequate bass for my room but let's face it, this hobby isn't about "needs" now is it. [:P]

I have the left Velodyne hooked up to the Emotiva UMC-1 via XLR and the right one currently hooked up via RCA. I was thinking the UMC-1 had two XLR sub outs but I was wrong. I will need to purchase an XLR Y splitter.

3CiKezegvxHx95YkZe9ijWr6cfqfT8z_VPMWigt3

Here's a pic of the Dual Velodyne HGS15's installed.

Velodyne-HGS15-Sm.jpgDual-HGS15-Sm.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

You DO have an SPL meter don't you?

Yes I do.

I figured it would be best to have 1 on each
output, is there no issue using a splitter impeadence perhaps?

It
doesn't change impedence since each speaker has it's own amp.
Impedance changes when one amp drives multiple speakers. I believe I
saw in one Emotiva Video that the UMC-1 can actually handle up to 6
subwoofers since the signal is so strong (or something like that).

Very nice!

Thanks Steven.

You'll need an SPL meter to adjust phase and gain unless you co-locate.

Can
you elaborate on what you mean by adjusting phase and how to set that
up properly. I was wondering about how your setup two subs since you
need both playing at once to get matching levels with your other
speakers but what if one sub is out of phase? Emotiva talks about two
types of phase. One is physical like when you cross your wires while
the other is basically when the sound wave is in a null at your LP. The
UMC-1 is able to switch the phase to fix that.

That is a bad A$$ set up!

Thanks
runninshine. I hope my little 15amp circuit can handle the 1250 watts
rms per sub and 220 watts x 5 from the Parasound. [:D]

I agree very nice... enjoy....

Thank you kindly Boxx.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by adjusting phase and how to set that up properly. I was wondering about how your setup two subs since you need both playing at once to get matching levels with your other speakers but what if one sub is out of phase? Emotiva talks about two types of phase. One is physical like when you cross your wires while the other is basically when the sound wave is in a null at your LP. The UMC-1 is able to switch the phase to fix that.

A simple way is to turn one sub off. Play some test tones around your crossover point so that the mains and sub both play. Have an assistant adjust phase on that sub while you sit in the main seating position. Adjust phase to where your meter shows the greatest If you use sine waves remember not to play tones too loud as it's hard on the voice coils. Turn the second sub on while leaving the first sub on. Have the assistant adjust phase on the second sub untill you get the highest reading.

Michael,

That is great.

You are officially charged with stealing (2) HGS15's.

I do believe you will notice that you have a more balanced system now especially with music.

Now it's time to pop in U-571 again and you will be "in" the submarine this time.

Bill

• Moderators

You are officially charged with stealing (2) HGS15's.

Definitely not a bad investment for 2 powerful subs.

Now it's time to pop in U-571 again and you will be "in" the submarine this time.

Again? I haven't watched it the first time.

Again? I haven't watched it the first time.

My bad, it's obvious you did not take my suggestion too seriously the last time I recommended U-571.[:^)]

I'm done.[:#][;)]

Bill

Thanks for the info. What test tones do you use? I've only used the ones in my AVR or Pre/Pro. I do have an Avia II disk. Not sure what audio setup it has on it. I'll have to look.

I've got a disc with sine waves from 10 to 99Hz. It also contains sweeps, but I never use those. I believe it's THIS one. I can't tell you how many times I've used it.

• Moderators

Funny thing is my wife was TOTALLY cool about it. Absolutely no hesitation when I asked her about it. She's thinking "Really, another subwoofer"?

She knows me by now. I try not to buy anything unless I can at least get my money back if I should decide to sell it. To me, those are no brainers. At least give it a try. If it doesn't meet my needs or expectations, simply sell it. To me, it's just fun playing with new toys, getting to try new configurations. Whether I keep it or not, it's still great to obtain knowledge and firsthand experience with different gear.

• Moderators

I've got a disc with sine waves from 10 to 99Hz. It also contains sweeps, but I never use those. I believe it's THIS one. I can't tell you how many times I've used it.

I just ordered it New on Ebay for $12.99. Thx for the recommendation. I like how each track corresponds with the frequency (track 10 = 10Hz). Seems like that would be very handy. I have a CD with test tones but I don't know what frequency is playing so it really doesn't serve a purpose.

I just ordered it New on Ebay for $12.99. Thx for the recommendation. I like how each track corresponds with the frequency (track 10 = 10Hz). Seems like that would be very handy. I have a CD with test tones but I don't know what frequency is playing so it really doesn't serve a purpose.

I don't see how people set up non-colocated subs without it.