SUPER 8: Holy %&$# Headroom a Requirement!!!

superedge88

Just got done watching the movie "Super 8" and gotta say WOW, I was quite impressed with the audio quality and dynamics. They did such a great job with the LFE channel, not making it too lively thorughout but instead EXTREMELY dynamic at just the right points. My KLF-30's were really cranking and I am glad that I have them and not a set of weak speakers because I am pretty sure that I would have smoked a lesser pair of speakers in many of the explosions in this movie. My Tuba HT was pounding so hard that I thought my living room would come apart! If you want to have a treat for your home theater rent or buy this one and crank it, but FIRST make sure you have the headroom. [:o]

The train wreak was great with the surround and LFE.

The first commercials I saw when this first came out made me not want to watch this.

It made it look kind of hulkesh? And I dislike hulk stuff.

But about 3 weeks ago they showed a new commercial that made it look interesting.

So...I watched it. It was better than advertised.

i just watched it tonight and i thought the audio was good but not great. It had some very good lfe and that train scene was amazing or any explosions really in the movie. It comes in dolby true not dts hd master which i strongly prefer after seeing several movies and being blown away by it. I thought some of the speech was a bit muffled and far from what i was expecting to hear.

Needless to say, i thought it was a bit cloverfieldish but with a much better storyline. i would recommend a watch!

I have a blu ray collection of 175 and counting and have heard several dolby true hd and dts hd master audio tracks and honestly you can't really go wrong with either they are both great and noticeably better than a regular lossy dolby or dts soundtrack. I don't think I could honestly say one is better or that I prefer one over the other. I think it depends more on the movie itself.

Book of Eli definitely rocked.

Have you watched Master and Commander yet?

Master and Commander is always a go to demo for me. I've never even watched the whole movie, just the first battle out of the fog probably 50 times. When the crew is running into postion after a wave of cannonballs it literally sounds like there are people upstairs running around on a hardwood floor. Awesome example of DTS-HD Master Audio.

I thought you had to buy Master & Commander on DVD still because the audio was messed up on the bluray release?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1247059

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1375986

hmmm thats interesting... it seems that the mixes won't go below 25 hz on the blu ray releases... I wouldn't have noticed this because I just have xf-48s and don't currently use a sub. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this. other than that the audio sounds great on Master and Commander.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching Super 8 on Blu-Ray tonight. I'm in agreement with SuBXeRo, there's some low stuff in there, but over-all soundwise, it's pretty balanced. Nothing that had me scrambling for the remote.

It had that Goonies, or Stand By Me feeling to it, albiet with a few post-Y2K CGI effects. It's got some solid re-play value.

TRON conquers all IMO

Absolutely. Even the GF agrees. The only movie I've got that consistently knocks stuff off the walls on the the other side of the apartment....at -10 dB ref.

At -0 dB, I once saw a wormhole forming in front in my subwoofer. [:|]