1st time listener was impressed...

Quiet_Hollow

Had a bro from work over for a listen today (Saturday). He is a guitar player and has a positive interest in music and listening to stereo systems. This was the first time he'd ever seen La Scalas or heard them. We broke into a bottle of single-malt scotch, dropped in some Floyd at modest levels, and began the day. Instant smiles. I covered the whole range. Vocals, Drums, Bass guitar, electronica... As the booze kicked in, I dialed it up a little then put in some music videos. About three hours later, we concluded the session with the disposal scene from Hurt Locker at -8 dB from reference. "I've heard some pretty loud explosions in the line work," he says, "...that felt pretty close to the real thing." He then paused for a second staring at the speakers, then turns back to me while pointing at them, "..are those things alright man? It felt like we just blew something up in here." I assured him that I didn't even put a full watt into them. "No problem, they're okay," I said, " Well within their capability." He was really taken aback at how loud we had finished the day given the dimunative size of the Panasonic and all, but that there was no distortion and his ears didn't hurt. - Good times.

He then paused for a second staring at the speakers, then turns back to me while pointing at them, "..are those things alright man? It felt like we just blew something up in here." I assured him that I didn't even put a full watt into them. "No problem, they're okay," I said, " Well within their capability." He was really taken aback at how loud we had finished the day given the diminutive size of the Panasonic and all, but that there was no distortion and his ears didn't hurt. - Good times.

I find that most "audiophiles" have gotten used to well-below-reference listening levels, even for acoustic performances like orchestral music and organ. It seems to be a shock to them that there really are speakers that reproduce full dynamic range. Most folks have apparently never heard them before unless maybe at movie theater where they are not aware that the speakers being used are not much different than Klipsch Heritage speakers.

If you don't have a point of reference to what I'm referring to, just get a copy of "The Planets - Mars, the Bringer of War" (Holst) or Bolero (Ravel), then turn it so that you can just hear the instrumentation at the beginning of the piece, setting your remote control off to the side so that you can't turn it down. Then enjoy the ride. Non horn-loaded speaker owners usually have a very surprised expression on their faces once this little demonstration gets into full swing.

Chris

Cask is correct.

Unfortunately..... there are a couple things that may prevent one from having that "experience". First and foremost is the WAF-O-Meter. Trying explaining that you were just listening at a "reference level" when your lower lip looks like you are an Ubangi refugee, what with the frying pan inserted.....

Second, and of no less importance, is our hearing SPL "tolerance". Case in point, my hearing (at age 61) is still very good. Just tested by the doc' for my annual physical. But I find that I can just as much enjoyment from 84dB SPL @ 1 meter (measured), and after a few hours, still hear the telephone ring.....

That case, however, pretty much demands Klipsch speakers and good amps. I was always impressed by just how clear something was at the lowest possible volume (SPL) level on the amp through the K'horns in a room with a low ambient "noise floor".

Every once in awhile though, when SWMBO and the kids are gone, and I get the urge.... I will "explore" the "reference level"..... LOL!!! Usually after such a session, the word, "Dang!!" comes to mind....

[H]

I respond this way: when friends and family come over for Blu-Ray movies, they want to hear it at reference level (and by the way, it sounds incredible here). But I keep reading about "WAF-levels" for music. This doesn't compute - if the movie isn't too loud, neither is the music being played at reference levels. If the concert was at "X' dB, that's where I like to put it.

You also infer the possibility hearing loss in your discussion. If I was listening to consistently loud popular and related music (you fill in the blank on what that is), then I'd be concerned about my hearing, too. That's not the case. Hearing loss is occurring continuously anyway due to aging. I'd like to use the time I've got listening to real music before it's gone.

What's interesting is that audiophiles will spend so much money investing in gear that cannot faithfully reproduce much louder than a Bose Wave Radio. Why would you spend so much money on speakers that cannot reproduce the true dynamics faithfully? This is very odd. It's just like putting on your driving gloves and helmet to drive a gold plated Smart Fortwo...very odd indeed.

Chris

What's interesting is that audiophiles will spend so much money investing in gear that cannot faithfully reproduce much louder than a Bose Wave Radio. Why would you spend so much money on speakers that cannot reproduce the true dynamics faithfully? This is very odd. It's just like putting on your driving gloves and helmet to drive a gold plated Smart Fortwo...very odd indeed.

Chris (my preferred name)

How true!, how true!

You did us proud ! Left Hug

LaScalas & sub, a great combination, you ruined him, let him go listen to other things now, he won't forget the sound. Yes

Thanks! [:D] Witnessing his initial reaction to seeing them was priceless....trying to figure out how they worked and all. "Where's the cone?" Just like the first time I saw them.

Very easy to listen with one's eyes. But that only lasted the first few seconds into Dark Side of the Moon. At that point the only difficulty he had, was trying to put into words what his ears were experiencing.

Chris (my preferred name)

How true!, how true!

+2

Every once in awhile though, when SWMBO and the kids are gone, and I get the urge.... I will "explore" the "reference level"..... LOL!!! Usually after such a session, the word, "Dang!!" comes to mind....

Cool

Agreed[Y]

.. have another nip for me and lite a cigar.

Will do brother.

I have never heard the Heritage line of speakers. But from what others describe, I have not been to the moutain top of audio listening. I look forward to one day experiencing the sound of the Heritage line of speakers. I also have to wait for the wife to leave the house to cut up the volume, lol.

• Moderators

I look forward to one day experiencing the sound of the Heritage line of speakers.

Join us!

darth-vader_empire-strikes-back.jpg

That's funny

Derrickd, resist as long as you can, for the really infected there is a third stage of the desease, after Heritage, for your own good I will not even say what it is. [:$]

I have never heard the Heritage line of speakers. But from what others describe, I have not been to the moutain top of audio listening. I look forward to one day experiencing the sound of the Heritage line of speakers. I also have to wait for the wife to leave the house to cut up the volume, lol.

What state are you located? Perhaps someone could provide a listen.

Bruce

What state are you located? Perhaps someone could provide a listen.

Bruce

Well Bruce, it is obviously the "State of Confusion" if he's never heard the Heritage line or the next step up, J......Oops! [:#]

Dennie ....rolling.gif

It is recommended that you DO listen to Heritage speakers before doing anything too serious in here. This forum can be an opportunity to listen to many differing Klipsch approaches, and the Heritage should be the first stop for the curious and eager to learn. Heritage is what this company was built on, and are literally "lifetime" speakers that can literally be handed down through generations....and worthy of the effort to feed them best.

Some then go down the vacuum tube rabbit hole with Heritage (I bit on this hard, but got the glorious results desired and am lifetime happy on that front, so it was worth the effort). Others in 2 channel go "Jubilee" after Heritage, because the Jubilee approaches are "pro-sized" horn loaded setups, which is what the Heritage "buzz" is all about - what horn loading brings to the table.

Then consider what Heritage does for home theater setups and one can see how they really are "all things to all listeners". Whether the lilt of the best SET, the power and liquidity of a brawny KT88, or the steely resolve of the best solid state, Heritage is great in a host of system types and wants, which is a testament to how good they are.

Heritage aren't necessarily the best in the audio universe, but given the rock solid design principles they are built on they are the best value in audio history.

He was really taken aback at how loud we had finished the day given the dimunative size of the Panasonic and all, but that there was no distortion and his ears didn't hurt. - Good times.

The Panys get no respect...except from me, you, and anyone who has actually heard one. I have two 20s and a 57, a total of maybe 400.00 in them all told, and I've not heard anything at any price worth the extra bucks. Digital efficiency, SS solidity, and a taste of tubes in an environmentally friendly (as if I care), lightweight, and cool case that, when used with Heritage, can kill people and break things without damage to themselves.

Gotta love it...

While I can't say it's the highest end of audiophile recordings, my favorite "shocker" for rock lovers is Midnight Oil "Beds are Burning." I've had people look as though they'd been hit be a truck when I fire that up at 120db or so. Don't leave it there long, but they get the message that them big ol' horns DELIVER.

For most, I go with the Virgil Fox "Fox Touch." However, it's just as "nail'em to the wall" in a lot of ways. It's just a lot of fun to expose those who've not heard what REAL audio equipment is all about to it for the first time.

Dave

Thanks for the comments: seeing the look on someone's face during and explosion or the smile on their face when listening to a musical track is what it is all about. Just being a part of the experience and not an observer, speaks to the quality of the system. The dynamic range of the Klipsch Heritage line sounds awesome, not to speak of getting good sound over 115 db. I live near Chicago, so there should be somewhere near me to take a listen. I also go to Indianapolis four or five times a years where there are a couple of Klipsch dealers that may be able to give me a demo.

Nothing like spreading the faith there bro! [:D]

Just last week, I had a co-worker that wanted to take a look at this air-hockey table I have in the basement that I am getting rid of that he wants to buy off of me. After looking at the air-hokey table, we went upstairs and he saw my rig, and of course, he wanted to listen to it.

He is more into movies than music, so he asked me if I had The Matrix. Of course, I did! Hell, that was one of the first movies I tried after I originally got this rig all setup and running. So I put it in and he immediatly took the remote to the DVD player and knew exactly what scene he wanted to try. Needless to say, he was completely blown away at how awesome this thing sounded. He could not believe just how clear and clean everything sounded. Bear in mind that he just has some Bose rig at his place (complete with the little cubes and the "bass module". I know, as I helped him install it a couple of X-mases ago), and then listening on a full-sized Klipsch rig. Might as well compare a Fiat to a Ferrari there. He already had the Bose (well, actually his wife), but I told him he may want to consider some Klipsch since he really liked the sound of my rig, if he ever needs to replace his setup (i.e., lightening ends up taking it out, for example) and showed him on the website that there are Klipsch products that are not much larger than the Bose cubes, but sounds an order of magnitude better and often for less, plus he would have a "real" subwoofer, not just some "bass module".

Also to add - all this talk about Heritage. Oh hell, yeah! If you get a chance to hear a good Heritage rig, do so! To many, the Heritage is typically about as pure of a "Klipsch Experience" as you will get out of a speaker. However, that being said, after having listened to some really nice Heritage rigs, including the much vaunted Jubilees, I am still blown away at just how good my RF-7s still sound, with my solid-state B&K Reference amp! At the few watts that I am probably only using, I am running in class-A and still get a very tube-like sound out of these things. But, believe me, I am still lusting after a pair of KHorns, but that is going to have to wait until I get my basement situation straigtened out. Yeah, nothing like dropping $7,500 to get my basement drainage situation fixed, but will have wait to spring as they really cannot do that kind of work in the winter. Plus whatever it will take to refinish/renovate down there (most likely what is currently down there will probably have to be all torn out and re-done).