Made in USA?

LHF63

Hoping you all a Merry Christmas and are headed for a Happy New Year.

I asked this in another thread, but it seems to have died so I'll ask again. ;) Is there a list somewhere of Klipsch models that are/were made in the USA?

Thanks,

Lou

Hoping you all a Merry Christmas and are headed for a Happy New Year.

I asked this in another thread, but it seems to have died so I'll ask again. ;) Is there a list somewhere of Klipsch models that are/were made in the USA?

Thanks,

Lou

Gotta asked, what's your fascination with the origin of manufacturing? No, I'm not a commy, not even close, those guys are in another forum, I'm just curious as hell as to why?

Have a happy New Years, everyone, even the commys.

Gotta asked, what's your fascination with the origin of manufacturing?

For me, made in the USA (and other "first world" countries such as Germany, Japan, England, Italy, etc) invokes a sense of pride in workmanship, fair labor practices, and equitable trade practices. Made in China invokes just the opposite with their human rights record, labor practices, currency manipulation, trade practices (including a blatant disregard of intellectual property rights), etc.

I see it pretty much the same as StephenM, with a particular emphasis on the dismal human rights record of China and Malaysia in particular.

As to searching to "learn to use the site": I did. Spent several hours at it actually. While there are lots of threads discussing the issue, there are very few actual answers in those threads. The only thing that seems solid is that the Hertage series is still built in the USA, as was the original RF-7. Can't tell about the RF7-II, and everything else seems to be Chinese.

All of which still leaves the historical part of the question up for grabs. Is it safe to assume older Klipsch models (Chorus, Forte, Quartet, KG-4, Belle, and so on) were made in the USA?

Appreciate the responses,

Lou

Can't tell about the RF7-II

The RF-7 II is definitely US made. AFAIK the rule of thumb on the Reference line is that if it was wood veneered, it was US made. The THX Ultra 2 line is also US made, as is the Pro Cinema line, the Heritage line, and the flagship floorstander of the Palladium line.

Gotta asked, what's your fascination with the origin of manufacturing?

For me, made in the USA (and other "first world" countries such as Germany, Japan, England, Italy, etc) invokes a sense of pride in workmanship, fair labor practices, and equitable trade practices. Made in China invokes just the opposite with their human rights record, labor practices, currency manipulation, trade practices (including a blatant disregard of intellectual property rights), etc.

I assumed it was something along those lines, but in all honesty, there aren't many new products that are 100% American anymore. And I would assume (due to the level of competition in the market, our country's labor wages and I'd better stop there, because Union's and/or Politics now enters into the equation), that this would especially be true for stereo speakers. The days of 100% American products have long since gone in most product categories, and that death-sentence took a solid foot hold 2 or 3 decades following WWII.

As I'm sure he's aware, price is bottom-line with most consumers, and that's not to say that performance should always take a back seat to price, or that price dictates performance (but it usually does or has a significant influence). If that were the case, there wouldn't be things like $40,000 subwoofers. Somewhere out there, is a wacko or nut with too much money, who's focusing on the price instead of the spec-sheet. Likewise there's some hardcore people out there who lost their patriotism, or definition there of, in every product they buy.

For me, most of my toy purchases, e.g. speakers, cars, boats, PC's, laptops etc. etc., are driven either by (1.) cost versus performance, or (2.) pure performance. Stereo speakers made for listening enjoyment would most definitely fit in the 1st category. And I'm not saying my way is the best, just the most logical given my situation.

If I were a hardcore, gotta buy 100% American made new speakers, I would try attending a specialty show, like an Audio festival. The Rocky Mountian Audiofest would be a good one to attend, because it's a pretty big show. That show is in October, and it'll take you a good 2 days to cover all the rooms.

However, if new is not absolutely required, I assume (Michael, help me out?) the older Heritage models are 100% American made, but I'm not sure... and in any event, as soon as you upgrade the crossovers of these old speakers, which more than likely he'll have to do if he wants them to sound as best they can, those 100% American made speakers, won't be 100% American anymore.

Is there any such thing as a 100% American made capacitor? Manufactured with 100% American materials and components, assembled with 100% American equipment and tested with 100% American made testing equipment, with all aspects of labor performed by a 100% Americans,... Just how far is he willing to take this Made-In-American fedish, because it can get pretty deep. At some point, I would assume, he's gonna have to draw a line and say, "Yea, it's acceptable to let than mexican american tech., test my Made-In-America speakers with that O-scope that's made in America with oversea's parts.

Enough of the silliness, get a grip of the situation, and stop beating a dead horse; either that or become a billionaire or a career politician, because only the elite (billionaire) and elitist wannabees (politicians) can afford what he's looking for.

Amy!!!!, where are you.....I think LHF63 would very much enjoy the special forum.

Just imagine, if this country had to be populated only with the descendants from the 13 original colonies. Why the inhabitants of this whole country would all look like what you find today in Kentucky or Arkansas... I'm gonna catch hell for that one.

Hoping you all a Merry Christmas and are headed for a Happy New Year. I asked this in another thread, but it seems to have died so I'll ask again. ;) Is there a list somewhere of Klipsch models that are/were made in the USA? Thanks, Lou

I see nothing at all wrong or obsessive in asking this very simple question with for the most part a very simple answer.

From what I know, thease are all "made in America":

Heritage, wood veneered Reference, THX Ultra series, flagship Palladium P39, and commercial cinema speakers.

Not sure of:

KLF's, Tangents, or KG series.

Bill

commercial cinema speakers

I was going to mention those, since they sound quasi-acceptable [;)] ... however, the tweeter driver has a Made in Malaysia sticker on it (or something like that)

Don't know about the woofer's, never had one of them out.

The cabinet though is built in USA..... but.... is the wood grown here? If so, I wonder if it was timbered by US citizens or people of another birth country/citizenship? Is the glue made here?

Yeah... two sides to the question.... to what degree are we defining made in USA?

(I agree with Charity starts at home and wish our country hadn't shipped our economy overseas)

Gotta admit, I was a little worried when I asked the question that people might go Clintonian on defining "Made in the USA". For the purposes of this discussion (and seeing as I already have enough info to go forward on), take the common-sense approach of "lets the MFR legally put the 'Made in USA' sticker on the product". Or, say, final assy and QC checks in the US.

"Special" forum -- you mean, like for "special people"? Sounds scary. [:o] Seriously, not sure how much time I would have. Only have a little at present due to the holidays, but I'm game.

Thanks again all,

Lou

I agree with most of this, but you don't mention a lack of pride in workmanship for China. I think you can find great pride by some of the Chinese workers, and to be fair, they can build to an extremely high quality. We just don't often see it or realize it when its there.

I would love to see more high quality things made in the US, but most Americans want it both ways. We want Walmart prices, made in America with the best quality. Those things just don't always go together.

The P.Audio BMD750, Klipsch K-69 driver is made in Thailand. It's hard to beat FOR THE PRICE.

Bruce

Gotta admit, I was a little worried when I asked the question that people might go Clintonian on defining "Made in the USA". For the purposes of this discussion (and seeing as I already have enough info to go forward on), take the common-sense approach of "lets the MFR legally put the 'Made in USA' sticker on the product". Or, say, final assy and QC checks in the US.

"Special" forum -- you mean, like for "special people"? Sounds scary. Surprise Seriously, not sure how much time I would have. Only have a little at present due to the holidays, but I'm game.

Thanks again all,

Lou

Shoot, don't be worried in this place. You're in mama's arms and there's nothing wrong with you're question.... I'm just wondering how far your willing to take it, and it seems pretty clear you're not an extreme wacko... Just a speaker nut, or one of the family... [;)], [:D]

Now go get yourself some Heritage, get Bob Crites to give your xrossovers the ole 1-2, plugg'em in and enjoy. If you're near San Antonio, Tx, let me know, I've got a pair of Cornwalls (vintage) that I might let you steal way at a fair price.

Happy New Years guys.... don't drink too much, and if you do, call the taxi.

Shoot, don't be worried in this place. You're in mama's arms and there's nothing wrong with you're question.... I'm just wondering how far your willing to take it, and it seems pretty clear you're not an extreme wacko... Just a speaker nut, or one of the family...

Thank you. I might actually be an extreme wacko, but as I said above, my intent with this question was purely practical and regarding my own admitted prejudices. Not trying to create a never-ending political discussion. And I wound up pretty much where I thought I would be going in -- Heritage series or RF-7 (I or II). I do appreciate getting the confirmation from the more seasoned folks however.

Not worried really. I moderated a theology discussion list for years. Even the tube vs SS (or Klipsch vs -- hmm, what would be the other extreme -- Quad?) don't rise to the sort of heat we used to see there on a regular basis, at least not in my experience.

Very much thinking about Cornwalls, and ironically I was in San Antonio for 4 out of 5 weeks recently. No time for fun, though. A return trip is not out of the question, so expect a PM re: your Cornwalls.

Lou

I moderated a theology discussion list for years. Even the tube vs SS (or Klipsch vs -- hmm, what would be the other extreme -- Quad?) don't rise to the sort of heat we used to see there on a regular basis, at least not in my experience.

We have had a couple of those on here but they stayed rather civil. [:)]

Bruce

Hoping you all a Merry Christmas and are headed for a Happy New Year. I asked this in another thread, but it seems to have died so I'll ask again. ;) Is there a list somewhere of Klipsch models that are/were made in the USA? Thanks, Lou

Gotta asked, what's your fascination with the origin of manufacturing? No, I'm not a commy, not even close, those guys are in another forum, I'm just curious as hell as to why? Have a happy New Years, everyone, even the commys.

I make my money in the USA from people that spend their money in the USA. I am not always able to buy USA products, but when I do, I feel as though I am supporting another Man or Woman who has a family to support in the USA. I have often bought the USA product that was made here at home, feeling I got a better product and kept more of my $$$ in the USA. If we send all our money out of the USA, then at some point in time we will all have jobs flipping burgers that no one can afford, or simular such situations.

That's my 5 cents worth and I'm sticking to it.

Have a Happy New Year