What's behind those IDs??

chickey

OK, just out of pure curiosity, what is the derivation of some of the handles (IDs) that show up on this board? Some are easy to discern names like DougDrake and HornEd dont take too much detective work to derive, and even mine is simply my first initial and last name. But others are more obscure what exactly does an HDBRbuilder build?? And what species is a JHawk??? Even our friend Boa12 is enigmatic. Any takers?

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 05-16-2002 at 09:22 AM

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read his posts - and thoroughly enjoyed them all - but I must be thick --- HDBR??? I know he crafted cabinets for the Heritage line, but I'm not making the connection. Sorry, the coffee and Prozac hasn't kicked in yet. I'm sure I'll give myself a big "Duh!" once someone gives me a quarter so I can buy a clue...

I was also curious as to some of the IDs beyond just those I mentioned above. There are too many to list here, and was just wondering if anyone wanted to reveal the thinking behind some of those great names...

Regards,

C

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 05-16-2002 at 09:51 AM

dnd = me and my wife.

phishin = our favorite activity. Phishin is defined as traveling the country seeing Phish (or other similarly rocking musical acts we enjoy, especially String Cheese Incident right now). The habit got started by seeing Grateful Dead concerts at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin, which was a half hour drive from my home. We were wed at a Phish concert 5 years ago, complete with minister, tye-dye wedding party, and wedding cake to match! I've seen more of the country already than most will see in a lifetime - I've been through all but 7 of the 50 states.

Geography through rock and rollSmile.gif

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

Chickey,

HDBR=Heresy, Decorator(style of cabinet), Birch(birch plywood), Raw(meaning no finish).

Although I also built about 95% of all Cornwall styles built between 1977 and 1983, and also built some LaScalas, a good many MCM1900 system cabinets, a significant number of non-decorator Heresys, etc...etc...the fact that I was cranking out between 240-400 HDBR cabinets in a day when not building other speakers, made them by far the majority of the cabinets I built...therefore my handle.

The other day, for the first time, I calculated up how many HDBR cabinets I built, based on the least amount I would have built in a day...and using the least amount of days I would have built them, during my 7 years at Klipsch. It came out to a MINIMUM of well over 1/4 MILLION heresy HDBR cabinets alone!! GEEZ!!!

Kinda nice to know I helped put that many Heresy smiles on that many faces!! Smile.gif Alot harder to calculate how many Cornwalls I built, tho!!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-16-2002 at 10:48 AM

C, boa is an old high school nickname that's followed me thru college & to today w/ some friends. better not go to where i got it in hs though. Biggrin.gif

i think i can speak for jhawk as i'm a cyclone (same conference. that's the mascot for the U of Kansas where jhawk attended years ago. don't know where they got it but they have this weird chant of "rock chalk j-hawk" & the mascot bird is kinda this funny looking blue & red thang (school colors). Smile.gif

the cyclones (IA state) also use a bird for the mascot - cy the cardinal because the school colors are cardinal & gold. go figure. i think they went w/ a bird because a cyclone is hard to replicate in uniform & the U of Iowa had a bird 1st - herkey the hawk as ia nickname is the hawkeyes & ia is the hawkeye state.

i think the ku jayhawk is named jay(?). Smile.gif

oh & the 12 is just my fav number. was the age i reached puberty & was also the number of my fav QB - joe willie n. Smile.gif

good inquiry/thread though. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

I knew I liked you -- been a long suffering Jet fan since the glory days of Joe. We Jet fans sit year in and year out in the Meadowlands (the coldest place on Earth in November and December) hoping, just hoping, that a little of that Joe Willie magic will return. Instead, each year the chant SOJ (Same Old Jets) inevitably emerges by seasons end!!

C cwm12.gif

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 05-16-2002 at 11:48 AM

m00n

Hmm well, all I can say is that I like stars and moons. My old online gaming name used to be Demon Ethics. But after Sept11, I changed it. For some reason that name was not funny any longer.

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Now I get to put on my "history teacher" hat...just go back in yer American history books to the 1850's..just before the Civil War...the Kansas-Nebraska Act...that is where the Kansas Jayhawkers and the Missouri Redlegs came into history...had to do with self-determination of the states of Kansas and Nebraska over whether they would be slave or free states...bigtime trouble came out of this act of Congress...leading up to John Brown and his anti-slavery zealots taking over Harper's Ferry Armory and such.

Suffice it to say, this problem started over slavery, but took on a whole other meaning with many lives being lost in raids and such by groups of criminals who used the initial issue of slavery as their banner to run rampant doing their dirty deeds. Good people on both sides of the real issue were caught up in this senseless slaughter and destruction.

Kansans take pride in the label of Jayhawkers, even to this day...and there is nothing wrong in that...the sad part is that evil people used that monicker to justify their actions in murder and destruction at one time....same is true for the Missouri Redlegs!!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

Chickey, Thats for the post. I was wondering the same thing you were. Now I have few comments of my own: First, I must be dense because I still don't get The Ears sig line "TheEAR(s) Now theears". He even sorta explained it earlier this week and I still don't get it, I'm dumb. Secondly, actually by your ID being chickey I didn't realize it was first initial then last name. When I first saw it I thought it ment that you were a girl (chick). Now I upgraded to stupid. Third, m00n could have been like when someone moons you, that is why I thought he used the 00 instead of OO. And while I'm at it I must admitt I find all of m00n's post to be interesting. Finally as with boa 12, that is allittle too much info for me. I really don't need to know when you went through puberty. (ok it was funny) Thats all for now. I guess everybody now knows how slow I am.

------------------

The 17th school is done, no more forum for me. :(

thanks builder. thought it went back to the civil war days. but why "jayhawk(ers)" as far as the meaning.

know being here in the kc area between lawrence & columbia that it is a fierce rivalry between the schools. the mo man quantral's (sp?) raid & burning of lawrence seems to add to the tension some. cwm6.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

zandren, you failed to tell us what your name is all about.cwm1.gif

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Boa...ever see what happens when a hawk attempts to raid a Bluejay's nest and the Momma or Daddy Bluejay is around? Serious battle ensues....thus the Jayhawkers...Pro-slavers from Missouri and other slave states entered Kansas to attempt to vote it into the Union as a slave state...the Hawks had entered the nest of the Bluejays...and the battle ensued...those who resisted the entrance of non-residents into Kansas solely to vote on the slavery issue were called Jayhawkers.

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-16-2002 at 03:57 PM

Back in the late 70's my sister and her friends went to a bar in Memphis called "Bad Bob's". This was during the whole "Urban Cowboy" craze. It is/was a big country honky-tonk like Gilly's. I've never been. I despise country music. The fact that I now live in Texas and don't like country music is almost sacreligious! Anyway, she bought me a bumper sticker for my car and the name just sort of "stuck".

ROCK ON!

HDBR, some Forum folk may be a little confused with your post since you indicate that both sides of the "slave" and "free state" issue were called "Jayhawks"... and you were right, both were!

Here's an excerpt from the KU web site:

"During the 1850s, the Kansas Territory was filled with such Jayhawks. The area was a battleground between those wanting a state where slavery would be legal and those committed to a Free State. The factions looted, sacked, rustled cattle, stole horses, and otherwise attacked each other's settlements. For a time, ruffians on both sides were called Jayhawkers. But the name stuck to the free staters. Lawrence, where KU would be founded, was a Free State stronghold."

The full story is at http://www.ur.ku.edu/KU/Traditions/traditions.html

And, just to add to your trivia, Chickey HornED comes from loving horn loaded speakers and my initials E. D. ('though Ed is my first name as well). The Viking helmet was selected because it is the only "horned" Avatar and the fact that I have a genetic eye defect that was spread by Nordic raiders in my ancestral homelands. -HornED