Chicken or Egg? Question concerning sequence of upgrading

MRC2011

I would like opinions from the forum concerning upgrading my equipment. Starting with high quality consumer grade equipment, and moving up to audiophile quality equipment, which would you upgrade first, speakers or amplification?

In other words, on a temporary basis, which would you prefer, audiophile quality speakers with high quality consumer grade amplification? Or, high quality consumer grade speakers with audiophile quality amplification?

Good question. If it were me, I would buy a pair of brand new Klipschorns right now. You can power them with a transistor radio. Later, I would shop for a nice amp like the McIntosh MC275.

Keep in mind, KHorns need corners. There are also some room dimension caveats.

The Palladium series are crazy expensive, and might be better than KHorns, but I have never heard that said here.

Now if you want to go completely crazy, go sell your house and buy a pair of Focal Grand Utipias.

What one person considers "Audiophile Quality Equipment/Speakers", may just be "High Quality Consumer Grade Equipment/Speakers" to someone else... and vice versa.

Unless you already have something in mind (equipment and price wise) that you consider an upgrade, it's hard to offer suggestions. And something that you or someone else consider to be "audiophile quality" may not sound good to your ears, in your room, with your existing equipment.

Personally I'd upgrade speakers first... find something that sounds better than what you currently have (within your price range), and add it to your system.

As a matter of principle, I prefer upgrades earlier in the chain. To my ears, it usually sounds better that way.

In that theory, improvements earlier in the chain sound better through later pieces in the chain than vice versa. Better speakers will especially show up the grain and irritation in poor electronics, whereas better electronics are usually nicer, cleaner, and more alive-sounding over poorer speakers.

But, if you really want K-horns, go ahead and get them, and then figure they'll sound better after you get better electronics.

Of course, purchase opportunities and how much money is available when, often dictate what you buy when.

Hope this helps.

In other words, on a temporary basis, which would

you prefer, audiophile quality speakers with high quality consumer grade

amplification?...

So long as you're in transition, (who isn't? [:P]) you'll get a lot more mileage out of this route than the latter. Keep in mind "audiophile grade" is a very loose term and cost isn't the all-governing parameter for great sound.

which would you upgrade first, speakers or amplification?

The source of the lion's share of distortion is always in the speakers: using expensive electronics to drive small lower-quality (and lower price) speakers has never made sense to me.

Chris

If your budget allows it, I'd upgrade the amp and speakers simultaneously. There is usually a very definite synergy at work in obtaining the best possible sound- all amps do not sound wonderful with all speakers, and vice versa. This is especially true with tube amps. It's worth saving up the necessary funds rather than trying to do it piecemeal.

Thanks for the replys. I think that I can conclude to keep the money in the bank for now. Based on the responses and my previous purchase activities, I need to wait until I can afford a complete overhaul. Although I must admit, if I find a deal I can't pass up, I may find myself back in a quagmire of balancing sound quality vs. affordability.

I'd see no reason to wait if you can afford the speakers you're after. A speaker upgrade comes before electronic upgrade by a wide margin in my experience. Particularly with the high efficiency of the Klipsch family. Coming from your current mains, Khorns, LaScalas, RF7's would all make an incredibly improvement with your current electonics. Plus, you learn more by doing them separate. You live with it each way and then have an educated opinion. ;)

I would like opinions from the forum concerning upgrading my equipment. Starting with high quality consumer grade equipment, and moving up to audiophile quality equipment, which would you upgrade first, speakers or amplification?

Neither. I would work on room acoustics and get that really right before I moved to high $$$ gear.

Hi John!

I believe that the OP was asking about amplifiers vs. speakers. I'm not sure that we were thinking turntables during the discussion. In my instance, my reference is DVD-A, SACD or CD, with phono as a secondary preference for input device.

Chris

Hi John!

I believe that the OP was asking about amplifiers vs. speakers. I'm not sure that we were thinking turntables during the discussion. In my instance, my reference is DVD-A, SACD or CD, with phono as a secondary preference for input device.

Chris

Yes, point taken, but the principle remains the same - "garbage in - garbage out". So the source remains the most important component & there on down the chain, until you get to the speakers.............................Your speakers can't reproduce a signal that doesn't get to them.................................my proviso is that I agree with Tom Mobley & be prepared to open your wallet!

Hi John!

Chris

Yes, point taken, but the principle remains the same - "garbage in - garbage out". So the source remains the most important component & there on down the chain, until you get to the speakers.............................Your speakers can't reproduce a signal that doesn't get to them.................................my proviso is that I agree with Tom Mobley & be prepared to open your wallet!

The point some have made is that an inexpensive CD player doesn't equate to garbage in. It's a lot easier to gets bits off a CD than to transduce that signal into air pressure.