RF7ii's in full range + SUB (canceled freqs?)

Beechnut

Brainstorming: Even though a sub is present, it seems a shame to cutoff the dual10s in the RF7iis. Or maybe no lower than 30 hz. So, if the sub and the RF7iis are producing the same freqs, how do you manage keeping the freqs from canceling each other or conflicting? Phase issues etc?

Not sure Audyssey can do that. I have XT32. Sub will be RSW-15.

I run my R/L RF-7s at full range, I prefer that to being crossed over at 80hz. I feel like there is more impact in those channels. The sub still plays the LFE bass like intended. As far as canceling each other out, I dont hear that at all. The R/L channel just feel fuller, the LFE still goes to the sub, it doesnt get mixed in with the R/L channels. I do need to spend more time in my room but with just a quick setup I preferred the R/L on full, however, I prefer the center RF-7 crossed over at 80.

Not sure Audyssey can do that. I have XT32.

Yes, Audyssey does make phase adjustments to integrate the sub.

Wouldn't it give you more db? Less localized and more even response?

More dB? Not unless the sub was out of steam. Even then, I'm not sure the RF-7s would be able to contribute much more, especially in the deep bass.

Less localized? Not if the sub is set up properly.

More even response? Multiple subs, when you take the time to set them up properly and since they're playing the same material, can even out frequency response in room. A pair of towers placed flanking a TV? I'd expect the odds are less in your favor.

Mine does with the Onkyo set on double bass, the RF 7's full range which is the only way I can set the doubel base, but as someone else has posted, I too prefer the 7's set on full range and I've tried all the other crossover points and always come back to full.

why would you make your mains and amp work harder when you have a competent and capable sub, effectively wasting it?

agreed!

If you want more Dbs, then get another sub. People think that if you have big woofers in your floorstanders, you should use them like a sub.

Try setting the crossover at 60Hz for the mains and let the RSW-15 do the rest. That way you utilize the strengths of the RF-7ii's and the RSW-15. The RSW-15 is so musical in the midbass region that you could even crossover the RF-7ii's at 100hz and not really lose a thing.

I do get what your saying about wasting the RF-7ii's lower regions but the RSW-15 is a very capable(excellent) sub musically and will handle the 30Hz to 100Hz frequencies as good and most likely better than the RF-7ii's, IMO. The key is to experiment and give the many options a try.

Bill

why would you make your mains and amp work harder when you have a competent and capable sub, effectively wasting it?

agreed!

If you want more Dbs, then get another sub. People think that if you have big woofers in your floorstanders, you should use them like a sub.

Getting another sub isn't always acceptable for many variables. If you have the power, why not work the 10's in full range? They're a working breed, happiest when they're working [;)]

I was curious of the pro's and cons of doing it though. Seems some have had good results and enjoy it. I was worried if you did do it, would you cancel anything out.

My brain theory thinks it might help tame some nulls in the room when room treatments aren't possible. The same base wave eminating from different locations in the room. (this would exclude the low end LFE)

Try setting the crossover at 60Hz for the mains and let the RSW-15 do the rest. That way you utilize the strengths of the RF-7ii's and the RSW-15. The RSW-15 is so musical in the midbass region that you could even crossover the RF-7ii's at 100hz and not really lose a thing.

I do get what your saying about wasting the RF-7ii's lower regions but the RSW-15 is a very capable(excellent) sub musically and will handle the 30Hz to 100Hz frequencies as good and most likely better than the RF-7ii's, IMO. The key is to experiment and give the many options a try.

Bill

Is there are chance with both the RF7s and RSW-15 repoducing the same freqs, that it gets muddy or muddled? (Hence my earlier worry of them canceling out etc...) I get what your saying that the sub would likely do a better job anyways.

I was just thinking that my only reason to not let them run full range would be because I didn't have enough power out of the AVR to run all 5 speakers. Sub helps take the stress off the AVR. But once you add an external amp, I'd think you'd go back to letting them run full.

Just picking the collective brains here before I go experimenting.

Is there are chance with both the RF7s and RSW-15 repoducing the same freqs, that it gets muddy or muddled?

That can certainly happen but proper settings of phase, frequency, and gain will deminish that chance or eliminate it all together. Don't forget subwoofer placement will play even a more significant role in the outcome.

Bill

Try out different ways and see what you like best. I have

mine set at 50 Hz atm. But I normally run them full range. I do like them at 50 but I will probably put

them back to full range soon after I try them at 40 for a few weeks.

You’re definitely not wasting anything by running them full range.

If you do run them full range you will need to add a little volume to the sub,

and vice versa. This can be a huge

debate on both sides and really no way is right other than what sounds best to

you. [:D]

here is a quote from Chris (Audyssey) Look at the last part, this is a answer to a gentleman that was asking about his sub seeming lower than normal after room correction.

1. Your couch is close to the back wall and the bass buildup there is telling the measurements to cut more than needed. Moving the mic at least 18" from the wall usually fixes that even ...if it's not exactly where your head will be.

2. Your couch is in a deep null (usually near the center of the room). MultEQ limits how much boost it applies because putting energy into deep nulls is not effective.

3. You have a personal preference for higher bass levels than the film reference that Audyssey sets. This is easy to fix: just turn it up for your own preference. The MutlEQ response is not affected.

4. You have been listening for a long time to an uncorrected sub with a big peak at one frequency. Once that's smoothed out some people report "missing the punch", but in fact they are now able to hear content above and below that peak that was previously masked.

Finally, I hope that none of your speakers are incorrectly set to Full Range. That's a sure way to kill the bass going to the sub.

That statement by itself would be misleading. It either sounds better to someone or it doesn’t.

Setting speakers to small adds bass to the sub. Setting them to large leaves it

as just lfe. How in the world can that be a sure way to kill the bass?

And being a question that gets asked a ton. It’s probably more

a rehearsed answer than anything at this point. Too many variables (room taste

and gear). I personally have tried so many ways for hours and hours and to me

full range sounds just a tad better. When

I had a smaller system I liked it a tad more set to small (80 Hz).

That statement by itself would be misleading. It either sounds better to someone or it doesn’t.

Setting speakers to small adds bass to the sub. Setting them to large leaves it

as just lfe. How in the world can that be a sure way to kill the bass?

And being a question that gets asked a ton. It’s probably more

a rehearsed answer than anything at this point. Too many variables (room taste

and gear). I personally have tried so many ways for hours and hours and to me

full range sounds just a tad better. When

I had a smaller system I liked it a tad more set to small (80 Hz).

Well, I myselft, would think Chris is right in that statement considering his background. I just thought I would add that to the discussion, since the discussion was leaning toward "just set them to full range since they have ten inch woofers in them"

Yeah that really was the question: why crossover mains that are able to run full. I wouldn't run the RC-64 in full because is freq response doesn't really account for it. It's specialized. Home theater is a diff animal than 2ch, that's for sure.

RC-64ii - FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 59Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

RF-7ii - FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 30Hz-24KHz ± 3dB