Can I watch American Idol in 5.1 ???

JL Sargent

So far the answer is NO. I have an over the air antenna getting FOX in HD to my television. I backfeed my Pioneer receiver with HDMI cable. Now that all works fine for stereo but its not doing 5.1?

I have a PS3 hooked up to the receiver and watch Blurays and the surround is awesome. Guess I'm wanting that kind of sound watching FOX[:D]

OK, think I have it figured out. Different TV shows use different formats and American Idol does record/broadcast in 5.1. I tried it previously with lower quality programming, so tonight I will give it a go on AI and I will report back with the results.

Carl is right, there are some very good singers on there this time. Give it a try.

Carl is right, there are some very good singers on there this time. Give it a try.

I've never watched Idol but this year I got hooked on the Voice. Don't know how it works but there's some good singers.

Hope you got your sound to work out.

This is the first season I'm NOT watching. It's turned into more of a TV show than a singing competition.

Anyway, I noticed in the early seasons the 5.1 audio (OTA) was outstanding. Last year, the mixing was pathetic! After awhile, we didn't even fire up the theater for it, we'd just watch on TV. I'm sure they had a personel change in that department.

Who ever is mixing this show this year is likely the same as last year, and needs to step down. I use OTA, and it feeds the 5.1 signal automatically to my receiver. The show's mix is terrible. You can't hear the voices, and the surrounds are really hot. I have to override my receiver to downmix to stereo in order for it to be tolerable.

This was not the case for X Factor (also a Fox show). And definitely not the case for The Voice (NBC). The 5.1 mix for The Voice is much much better than IDOL.

BTW, IDOL has gone downhill (talent aside) as soon as Simon left. He was the only one who could actually discern talent and wasn't afraid to share his HONEST opinion. The judges now are so patronizing, it makes me sick. Tyler is the worse of them. Why even ask them what they thought, when it's the same unhelpful crap for each contestant.

BTW, IDOL has gone downhill (talent aside) as soon as Simon left. He was the only one who could actually discern talent and wasn't afraid to share his HONEST opinion. The judges now are so patronizing, it makes me sick. Tyler is the worse of them. Why even ask them what they thought, when it's the same unhelpful crap for each contestant.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'll listen to the singers and nothing else.