Stacking Speakers...

SWL

You guys that are stacking your speakers......how do you have them hooked up? Are they in series, parallel or are you using a seperate amp to power the extra pair of speakers?

I'm thinking of stacking my KLF-30's and powering them with some big ugly pro-amps so I can party like a rock star. [Y]

Thanks guys,

-Scott

That had to of been taken just for the sake of taking the photo because there is no way he runs those KLF 30's up against the wall blocking the rear ports like that.

(my true ignornace)

I didn't know the 30's had rear ports. I always thought they were closed boxes.

At the moment I am running stacked Quartets. The tops are inverted and run full range. The bottoms are right side up and I run only the lows. Teriffic bass/mid bass at lower volumes and can crank when asked. I run each speaker off of a seperate channel off of my 5 ch amp.

The tops are inverted and run full range. The bottoms are right side up and I run only the lows. Teriffic bass/mid bass at lower volumes and can crank when asked.

I will definitely try that. [Y]

In my experiments.... Groomlake is the guru.... You really need to run separate but identical amps, to power your "array" even though they are in same plane on the y axis.... you will most probably run into comb filtering...especially if the speaker, model/ type are not identical.... the separate amps will allow you to adjust volume to overcome the comb filtering.

I've been at the wall of voodoo to many times to count and can attest that just a little tweek in relative volume goes from sounding like ehhhh to nirvana!!!!

• Moderators

Not sure, if nothing else it might be a display ? That's Werner Enge's pic he is a Klipsch dealer, in Germany if I remember correctly. He has a section of his website with different women in the room with Klipsch, this is his site.

. www.wernerenge.com

This is his page with ladies posing with Klipsch

http://klipsch-direct.de/Klipsch-Hotties.html

Have you tried turning the bottom Quartet upside down so that the woofer is closer to the woofer on the top Quartet? Seems like a good idea to me. Have fun. Best regards Moray James.

Remove the risers to get the woofers closer. the closer the woofers are the better they will couple.

I have not tried the bottoms inverted but have thought about it, a project for this weekend!

I have already removed the risers on both sets. I have installed rubber feet on the bottoms as they sit on marble floors. With the stock feet on the risers I feel the speakers may walk a little.

In my experiments.... Groomlake is the guru.... You really need to run separate but identical amps, to power your "array" even though they are in same plane on the y axis.... you will most probably run into comb filtering...especially if the speaker, model/ type are not identical.... the separate amps will allow you to adjust volume to overcome the comb filtering.

Oh yeah......Now I'm partying like a rock star! [:P]

Well, I haven't gotten around to stacking them but what I did do is put the additional pair of 30's on the floor just inside of the original pair that are in the equilateral triangle configuration. About two feet in.

So, what I ended up doing (to make a long story short) after a few experiments.....the second pair of 30's are powered by a seperate identical amp to the first pair. Running both pair full range certainly opened up a can of worms with the whole comb-filtering thing. So the second pair (inside of the first pair) I am only powering the bass. The mids and highs are not hooked up. Worked like a charm. [Y]

In a way it's kinda like when guys put two subs just inside their mains. In this case the speakers and amps are identical so everything jives perfectly. No floor rumbling bass...just some serious chest hammering bass. It's impressive to say the least....neverending power...like being at a concert. [Y]

When listening to smooth jazz I'll stick with the 20wpc Scott 222c tube amp on just one pair.....doesn't get much better for me. When I'm in the mood for some Pantera (which has been quite often lately) I'll flip flop a couple wires and go to this new setup.....it does not fail to impress.....and sounds better than you might think. [:D]