Bought a new TV! (Pictures added)

wuzzzer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your Best Buy has a calibrator that is sharp at his craft it is very well worth it for calibration. That procedure brought visually noticeable results here. Many sets have internal adjustments only accessible by authorized service personnel and those adjustments can make a difference between good and "right on the money". Fleshtones just aren't proper without this.....

Another point is that if you bought extended warranty on the TV at BB, that together with calibration service allows for RECALIBRATION if your set ever needs service that would require that procedure to be done again.

My experience with Best Buy maintenance people has been awfull. My tv was all blue in black and white and color and he said that it was fine. He did give me the code for the internal menu however. And I did purchase the Sony Service manual for another $35.00. Your tv has to be calibrated internally with the main menu set for default---color set to 50, etc. And if you can remember the code numbers (maybe close to 500 or more) for the proper adjustments without having the service manual you are a certified genius. In other words without the manual to identify the code number you want and the code for getting to the internal menu you are up the creek.

PS: A simple change of contrast will blow your entire alignment. And the beat goes on.

JJK

My experience with Best Buy maintenance people has been awfull. My tv was all blue in black and white and color and he said that it was fine. He did give me the code for the internal menu however. And I did purchase the Sony Service manual for another $35.00. Your tv has to be calibrated internally with the main menu set for default---color set to 50, etc. And if you can remember the code numbers (maybe close to 500 or more) for the proper adjustments without having the service manual you are a certified genius. In other words without the manual to identify the code number you want and the code for getting to the internal menu you are up the creek.

PS: A simple change of contrast will blow your entire alignment. And the beat goes on.

JJK

I must admit we are a bit "lucky" with regards to our BB calibrator. We do have a "good one" here. In fact, I would say that he is the most knowledgeable person at his job as I have ever met with that company. I'm not oft impressed with BB personnel but this was an exception. He went through that entire set with me, pointing out features to use, and ones to avoid as well (like the auto light sensor).

I took the trouble to meet our BB guy before I bought the service. After about five minutes I was pretty convinced I was going to be OK. I did extensive reading on AVS from their in house calibrators to know what to look for and what results to expect. I have printouts showing all settings as well as graphs displaying results. He also ran test discs through my Oppo once done to verify those results through the player as well (to which he said the Oppo was very impressive). He proved results here, which is considerably better than some reports I have read regarding that service.

The calibrators on AVS typically get about $350 to do a set, and I was prepared to have one do mine on a "travel basis" (some of them do this) if that is what it took to get results. Fortunately I didn't have to.

I was one who thought calibration wasn't a big deal until I saw what properly calibrated sets look like - then I changed my tune. It is definitely worth it to find a good calibrator if you have a set of any considerable expense....wherever you can find one.

I helped deliver my old TV to my co-worker's apartment tonight. She went from a 32" Dynex LCD to the 65" Mitsubishi. She bought a nice stand for the new TV and it fits it perfectly. She's pretty pumped to have such a massive TV. I'm glad it went to someone who will appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...
I purchased a 70" Sharp, New, not factory refurbished, from BuySquad.com, on April 30, 2012. After much communication back and forth, tracking numbers, delayed shipping, then damage in transit, I was scared to death. After the damage was discovered somewhere just west of the Mississippi, I was notified that a new one would be Express shipped out on Thursday, March 12. The TV arrived by "Private Carrier” (Guy in a closed in Van) on the following Tuesday. Actually pretty quick delivery from Washington State to Charlotte, NC. When it was delivered, WE (truck driver, a friend and I) unpacked it and plugged it in to see if it fired up; Yes, ALL appeared to be fine, after much worry. Driver was released with his signed delivery ticket and I finally got around to setting it up today. This TV is replacing a 46" Sony, which is going to another location here in the warehouse.

I must say, after all of the worry and hassle (actually, the Buy Squad was very communicative and re-assuring), even though I felt sure that I was being scammed, because "They just could not sell a new TV that cheap delivered”, the TV is Flawless. I have spent the better part of today, fooling around with adjustments and have finally got it dialed, in like I want it. The clarity is amazing, almost 3D in it’s depth of field and the basic color, tint, contrast and brightness controls were a breeze to adjust. There are many more options on this TV than I will ever use, as I am playing it as the main viewing screen in my HT, using HDMI and I am SOOOO pleased, I am beside myself. The 70” diagonal is a pretty large screen and this thing is just a Joy to watch. I can not recommend this TV high enough, as it fits my every need, at the present. I am sure that next year they will come out with a 120” that has more Bells and Whistles, but this will at least last me for a few years. If you get a chance, please audition one, you will not be sorry. BTW – 70” is a pretty BIG screen.

WUZ,

I got the 632, under 1700 delivered and I am very happy. This sucker is really BIG...that is all my friend could say...."The picture is huge"...If you take the time to truly adjust it, to you particular conditions, for me it is perfect. I can not got over the picture quality difference over the Sony. I think the 732 has the addition of yellow pixels and the reviews I read about the edge lighting are about 50/50. What I have seen con wise looks like true nitpicking. I have not seen any actual negatives about either model other some complaints about the high cost from some outlets. The picture is as close to 3D, without wearing glasses, as I have ever seen.....The depth of field is much better than the Sony and it almost looks like "Live" video. It is truly remarkable....Guess you can tell I am very pleased. It will probably launch itself to the Moon next week, but it will have been a great ride...!

W. C.

I know what you mean. I have been loving mine every day for 6 months.

I ended up getting the model 733 with the yellow pixels.

I have just left mine on auto calibration and have been happy with the results.

Let the nitpickers nit and I will keep on enjoying my set.

why wait till black friday there never have any good deal on tv only th old stuff that they can get rid of . if i was you just walk in to a pc richards or bestbtuy you can find good deals on tv that are not on the weekly ad