Bought a new TV! (Pictures added)

wuzzzer

Can you tell the 5" size difference between the two sets? I also have a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond DLP and like I stated earlier in this thread, I am looking at either a 70" or 80" Sharp replacement. How do YOU like the new picture compared to the DLP?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you tell the 5" size difference between the two sets? I also have a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond DLP and like I stated earlier in this thread, I am looking at either a 70" or 80" Sharp replacement. How do YOU like the new picture compared to the DLP?

HUGE leap in picture quality over the DLP. Brightness, clarity, everything is much, much better. I really don't see a difference in size between the two. If the 80" would have been less expensive I would have opted for it but I got such a good deal on the 70" that I couldn't pass it up.

• Moderators

HUGE leap in picture quality over the DLP. Brightness, clarity, everything is much, much better.

I really didn't need to hear that. [:$] I really don't need to add anything to the list of things I would like to do.

You can get a much better idea of the picture with that last pic, very nice.

From the first pic I wanted to say.....nice floors, they look great.

HUGE leap in picture quality over the DLP. Brightness, clarity, everything is much, much better. I really don't see a difference in size between the two. If the 80" would have been less expensive I would have opted for it but I got such a good deal on the 70" that I couldn't pass it up.

I have been super happy with mine also.

The only problem I found is I remember when I got it home it seemed way bigger in my basement than when it was in the store.

It still amazes me how cool it runs. If its been on for hours you can not find any part of it that is more than room temp.

I couldn't wait any longer and calibrated my TV with the Avia disc I have. The TV had a lot of red push so it was nice to be able to get rid of that. Definitely needed a lot more adjustment than other TVs I've done. Seems like every Sony TV I've calibrated have had the tint and color pretty much perfect right out of the box. Took a bit of tweaking on the Sharp before everything was dialed in. I think it's normally recommended to wait around 100 to 150 hours before doing a calibration but I couldn't take the red push anymore. I'll check everything in a couple weeks to see if anything's changed but what looked great before looks incredible now!

Its a DVD that walks you through setting the contrast, brightness, sharpness, color and tint. It shows examples of what those settings look like when they are set too high or too low and then it displays test pattern screens that you use to adjust the settings. Very easy to use. It also comes with red, blue and green filters that allow you to separately adjust those three colors.

There's another disc called DVE or Digital Video Essentials that is available on DVD and Blu-Ray that is similar to Avia.

The nice thing about having a disc like that is it lets you adjust the settings of your TV whenever you want to. If you move to a different room where the lighting is different you can adjust the TV for that. As your TV ages you can re-adjust the settings.

I think an actual ISF calibration would yield much better results but it is expensive and its a one-time deal. You have to pay the same amount if you ever want your TV calibrated again.

hey wuzzer where can i pick up that dvd up from i j ust a got a new tv also and i wanna tweak my tv as well

I finally found through google from a AV forum a download of one of these. I am getting ready to burn to a dvd to see if it works. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

The benefit of owning the actual DVDs is it will come with the red, blue and green filters that you use to set those color levels correctly. You won't be able to adjust color or tint correctly without them.

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Avia-Guide-to-Home-Theater-DVD-1999/3315075&tg=info

The benefit of owning the actual DVDs is it will come with the red, blue and green filters that you use to set those color levels correctly. You won't be able to adjust color or tint correctly without them

I found a down load one and made a DVD and it seemed with the TV set on auto it did not really need any adjustment. Obviously I was not able to do the color and tint. By watching it however I did figure out my ps3 was not sending full info to the TV.

Did you find that you ended up adjusting much when you did this?

Any one tried this one "Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray". It had some good reviews on amazon.

If you have the TV on auto you won't be able to correctly make adjustments. The disc mentions to turn all automatic adjustments off before calibrating.

After adjustment I set my Backlight to STD, Contrast to +30, Brightness to -1, Color to -4, Tint to +6 and Sharpness to 0.