I don't think Nikola Tesla had this in mind. Making music with coils?

JL Sargent

My son showed me a couple of youtube clips of the UTexas guys on one of the "you've got talent"-type shows, which I assume is the same bunch here.

One or more of the judges on the show commented repeatedly that the real effect of the performance was not faithfully reproduced using televisions or video cameras- that you had to be there in real life, and that the effect was palpable...

The demos that I saw had people in the line of fire... [:o] and included at least one sequence with a dancer in a cage (a la Go-Go girl...).

Invigorating [:S]

Chris

Tesla wasn't simply a genius....he was a well-funded genius. That combination tends to yield exceptionally rapid progress. Here's a link to one of the video's that I was trying to post back in the "Ultra Efficient LED" thread.

If you've got the right background with willingness to understand, you'll get the the gist that even this brief recap of his findings (along with the aid of other fine researchers and mathematicians along the way) are quite profound.

If you're taken aback a little bit by the presentation, factor in that this breifing really compresses the scope of the topic and is already pushing 16 years old. Tesla was into this stuff full throttle from the 1860's.

It's not new by any stretch...but it sure as heck feels state of the art. [:|]

Tesla wasn't genius....he was a well-funded genius. That combination tends to yield exceptionally rapid progress. Here's a link to one of the video's that I was trying to post back in the "Ultra Efficient LED" thread.

If you've got the right background with willingness to understand, you'll understand that even this brief recap of his findings (along with the aid of other fine researchers and mathematicians along the way) are quite profound.

If you're taken a back a little by the presentation, factor in that this is condensed and already pushing 16 years old. Tesla was into this stuff full throttle from the 1860's.

It's not new...but it sure as heck feels state of the art. Indifferent

There were lots of people with lots of money that couldn't accomplish what Tesla did during his lifetime. He was eventually a well funded genius but he had many inventions in his head from when he was digging ditches after getting screwed by Edison. He eventually fell in with Westinghouse who also was no fan of Edison. Together they embarassed Edison which was well deserved. There are no Tesla prototypes because he was actually able to visualize his invention in his head and tweak until perfect and then build it right the first time where as Edison tried it thousands of times wrong and eventually got it right. Actually you can't really compare the two because Edison hired people to solve his problems like the light bulb but put his name on it. Tesla designed all his works on his own.

Tesla - “If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he

would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw

after straw until he found the object of his search. I was a sorry

witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation

would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”

Tesla - “My method is different. I do not rush into actual

work. When I get a new idea, I start at once building it up in my

imagination, and make improvements and operate the device in my mind.

When I have gone so far as to embody everything in my invention, every

possible improvement I can think of, and when I see no fault anywhere, I

put into concrete form the final product of my brain.”

Tesla - “Before I put a sketch on paper, the whole idea is

worked out mentally. In my mind I change the construction, make

improvements, and even operate the device. Without ever having drawn a

sketch I can give the measurements of all parts to workmen, and when

completed all these parts will fit, just as certainly as though I had

made the actual drawings. It is immaterial to me whether I run my

machine in my mind or test it in my shop. The inventions I have

conceived in this way have always worked. In thirty years there has not

been a single exception. My first electric motor, the vacuum wireless

light, my turbine engine and many other devices have all been developed

in exactly this way.”

Tesla and Twain

tesla-twain.jpg1.jpeg

Without Tesla's invention the modern age would not have advanced so quickly after the turn of the century.

Shortlist.

AC Current

Induction Motor

Tesla coil

Modern Radio - 17 Tesla patents were used by Marconi to make his radio. Tesla invented radio as well. Used this to also make remote control boats which would be the first iuse of wireless remote control.

Fluorescent lighting - used in many scientific devices not just lighting.

http://www.teslauniverse.com/

Tesla's funding was pulled the moment he said something to the effect that his electrical distribution system would not be meterable. His incomplete full scale device was then razed in it's entirety. Wonder why...

And it's never been completed by anyone. Wonder why.

Dave

It does make one hell of a cat toy. I used to keep some 15000V transformers around (used for neon lights). You attach a wire to each lug and bend them around close to each other and then angle them up and away from each other.(al la frankenstein) I would set it in the window for halloween, one year the cat thought to play with the flashy thing. :)

From the Teslauniverse.com

John Jacob Astor was
Tesla's wealthiest and most generous investor. He invested $100,000 in
1899 for Tesla to, as he understood it, further develop and produce a
new lighting system. Tesla instead, used the money to fund his Colorado
Springs experiments. Mr. Astor was understandably unhappy with Tesla's
deception and avoided him for several years. They did later reconcile
and worked together on aircraft and propulsion systems in 1908.
Unfortunately, Mr. Astor and his wife were aboard the "Titanic" which
began to sink after colliding with an iceberg. Mr. Astor was able to
help his wife into a lifeboat but was unable to join her. His body was
found a few days later and is buried in Trinity Church Cemetery in New
York City."

The popular incarnation of the "Tesla coil" is a toy in comparison to a Magnifying Transmitter (his actual design goal).

The AC powered Tesla coil helped, was a pit stop in the laboratory, so-to-speak. It was a device to help him further his understanding of sinusoidal AC transmission. Nothing more than that.

The Magnifying Transmitter on the other hand utilizes ultra-high frequency, harmonic free, pulsed DC.....waaaay different from a basic rotary spark-gap.

The MT is the device responsible for all the magic hub-bub surrounding his demonstrations.

Many people attempt to recreate the device, then use standard electricity to power them. It is a common mistake and the result is malfunction.

It was/is the electronic equivalent of trying to run a gasoline combustion engine on diesel fuel.

...It was/is the electronic equivalent of trying to run a gasoline combustion engine on diesel fuel.

On the other hand, when you have an employee who puts gasoline in a diesel tank, the prettiest white smoke comes out of the tailpipe. [:)] Then it seizes and you have put in a new motor...

Tesla was a terrible business man. At one point Westinghouse said that he would go out of business if Tesla ever tried to cash out and that he could never pay him what he was worth. Tesla ripped up his contracts and official paperwork with Westinghouse and said don't worry I'll just invent something else. Westinghouse also dumped lots of money into expensive projects. Man could Tesla spend some money but cutting edge research is always expensive.

Check out these abandoned russian Tesla coils..

image.php?&aid=975&007_tesla_59.jpg

WOW http://fishki.net/comment.php?id=21722

Check out these abandoned russian Tesla coils..

That's part of a former outdoor high voltage AC test lab.

Here's one currently operated by Siemens in Germany.

Freiluftversuchsfeld-large.jpg

Similar larger scale labs also exist in China as well as here in the States.

Lets go roast some dogs... WOW