Late to the party with the Beatles Box Set

Daddy Dee

Well, recently picked up the Beatles Box Set in stereo. It's been out some three years, but put it on my birthday list this year, so yay. I'd been interested in the box set because when my girls went to college all they left in my book case were the CD jewel cases sans cds. Didn't matter all that much since they were making good grades. It was funny that they took stuff like Liz Story which they'd fussed about hearing so much over the years.

The sound of the remastered CDs is good, though I'm not going to attempt a review to compare and contrast to the old recordings. The thing I wanted to mention is that the included mini-documentaries, one for each album, are really good.

They are narrated by Geo Martin and the Beatles with subtitles if desired, which I found helpful. Some might be critical that the so often reported conflicts within the group and with Oko Yono are minimized. I thought, I'd heard enough of that stuff as it is. Instead there is a presentation about each album, where the music was in the process of the personal growth, interests and musical growth of the band. Now I see the progression of albums with a lot more sense of flow. What those guys did is really still amazing.

The CD jackets contain reproductions of all (I think) of the pics and such which were included in the original records. I'd forgotton how much stuff there was back in the day.

post-11993-13819692825066_thumb.jpg

Cool!! I was on the fence for a long time on whether to get the stereo or mono set. When I had a chance to pick up the mono set a few months ago for a great price ($89.62), I pulled the trigger. I'm very pleased with it. When I was younger I liked the Beatles, but I've grown to appreciate their music a great deal more as I've gotten older... [H]

Happy listening!!

You will enjoy these discs. I bought the set soon after it came out, stereo. Thanks for the mini-docs info, I have put off listening/watching those, must schedule it in for a Saturday morning time slot.

The notes with the CDs are enlightening. I have always wondered why surround sound versions of these albums have not been produced. From what I recall in the CD notes, the multi-track recording process basically produced a final master which had overlayed previous "master" tracks, in other words there ain't no goin' back. I have the surround sound LOVE album and it is very cool, also have the LP but have not opened it yet. Surround and back to stereo, go figure.

McCartney continues to tour and produce new music. His concert in New York for the new baseball stadium is one of my favorite concert videos, poignant moment for George and Paul's uke tribute for "Something".

Ringo has continues to tour and issue albums. Read recently that Joe Walsh is on Ringo's latest album, they are brother-in laws, small world.....

Echo your sentiments for John. As with many voices "back in the day", we will never know how his art would have evolved, it was just beginning...........

For George, the "Concert for George" DVD tearfully reminds us of his contributions and potential. By the end of the DVD, if you grew up with this music, you feel both the connnection and the loss, very bittersweet.

I have to wonder if these remastered CDs will become vinyl offerings in the future, and how they would survive the transfer to the analog medium. I continue to see Abbey Road in vinyl as a new LP in several on-line and local audio outlets, around $15, may have to pick it up just to experience the thrill of analog Beatles again, all my Beatles records are long gone.

They don't make 'em like that anymore..........................................................................................................................................................

So...

How do you like the remasters?

I like the clarity and balance of the recordings. I started buying the Capitol albums when they were originally issued. Yes, I'm old. But these remasters are a revelation.

jerol

For George, the "Concert for George" DVD tearfully reminds us of his contributions and potential.

I have the CD of this, and it is really, really good.

I still want to get the boxed set...

Bruce

Jerol,

I was buying the originals on Capital records too, back in the day.

On the quality of the remasters, they are very good. I just don't think I can say anything meaningful because I haven't had the old CDs for reference listening.

JJK, I never heard Rain, but in my mind you are totally to the nth degree correct about the harmonies in "If I Fell". I can't wait to hear it in the original mono on my "new to me" Cornscala's I just picked up a coupla days ago. I should be receiving my new Marantz CD6004 player tomarrow and check it out. Like I said, I can't wait.

Steve