Help with TV purhchase - please, I do not have the patience for this

I need a new TV. It seems that a TV does not last more than 6 years anymore Due to a product defect my 6 year old TV is dead and my other is teh exact same TV so its days are probably numbered. (thanks Mitsubishi).

So I think that I need a plasma for downstairs because I can view from off center. I also need one for the bedroom, either plasma or LCD

I don't care about 3d at all and in fact I do not watch much TV. I do want to be able to stream from the internet. Through a laptop, dvd player or the TV itself. I may get rid of cable and use Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

It looks like I can buy a TV with all options for one price, or get a TV with less options for significantly less (and the options look like the new DVD players will cover me, which will be nice as prices drop_.

I am thinking a 60" or less will fit downstairs and a 55" or less for the bedroom. I have heard that Samsung, LG and Panasnic are good choices.

Any suggestions? This is happening at a bad time and I do not want to spend that much. There are some Samsug 50" plasmas that are abut $600 or $700.

Thanks.

Like you already posted, you should be able to find some pretty good deals right now on last years models as the new stuff is about to come out. I have not heard much good about LG, so I personally stay away from them. The panasonic ST30 line or the Samsung 6500 line is probably what you are going to be looking for as far as those features. With the sizes you are looking at, I don't think you'll be able to find the features you want and not pay over $1200-$1500 unless you really shop around...I know one of these guys recently went into a best buy and bought a floor model for a significant discount, so you may want to look into doing something like that...Then again, I haven't really shopped these sizes, so I could be totally wrong on the prices...

Just put a 60" Pany plasma in my conference room at work that was 1300.00 delivered. Have a 55" Samsung plasma at home I paid less than a kilobuck for around Christmas and another in my video edit bay at work. All are awesome. I think the plasmas offer better brightness, blacks, and detail for the money right now.

The brands you mentioned are excellent price/performance at the moment.

My master bedroom Westinghouse is 6 years old and no signs of wear. It replaced a 10 year old rear projection I finally put out at the curb a few months ago that was still working fine.

Don't sweat over it. Just pick one. About the only study I made other than size/price/specs was user ratings. Chose the highest user ratings for the price/size/specs and am happy with all my purchases.

Dave

Thanks for the replies.

I did notie that TV's without all of the features are $600 to $1000. Add the features and the rice goes up.

Can a DVD player add streaming, etc.? I a assuming that it can, which means that I an just upgrade DVD players as needed. Whatever I buy today will be outdated next year, so I'd rather catch p with a dvd player and not the TV.

I don't care about 3D and friends who have it never use it.

I just got a PN64D8000 samsung plasma and the picture and performance is outstanding. I didn't want 3D either but this monitor has it, but I do not use it.

the 8000 series will make you very happy as would the st from panasonic.

I see you are in nevada... I do have a 50" plasma for sale on Craigslist, works perfectly.

Many DVD players have it, there is Roku, and even one recently at 50.00 which I can't recall. Nice to have it built in, though, and it's common in the kilobuck class. Some even have Skype.

Just pick the features you want at the price you want to pay. If it has apps, fine, if not, fine.

You'll be hard pressed to make a major booboo with the brands at this point in time.

Dave

When it comes to picture performance for the $$$, nothing beats the Panasonic plasmas, especially if plasma (IOW not too much outside room lighting) is right for you. When I recently did the "two month resaerch project" to upgrade my setup to HD, I found that the Pannys were absolutely "bang for the buck" champion, especially the ST series machines.

I ended up with a higher end Sony (needed the added "pop" of LED, especially in this room) but I suuuuuuure did look at the Pannys for a long time before purchasing.

I'm really happy with the Panasonic plasma TV I bought last year. It has 3D, but I've only used that feature a couple of times. However, getting a TV without 3D may soon be like finding a cellphone without a camera built in. If it doesn't cost any extra, why worry?

I am really pleased to be able to see YouTube on the TV, for times when network TV is boring, or I just want to watch videos.

The TV series is VT30, and I'm very impressed with the picture every time I turn it on.