RC-64 Repair Help

tmassey

I had a minor accident concerning my RC-64 when I was trying to move some things around to test my RC-62 before I sold it. I had it in my hand and my thumb slipped and I pushed on the woofer, and it made a fairly minor dent in the woofer. I sent a picture off to klipsch tech support, and they claimed it should have no impact on the sound quality now, or in the future, and I can not hear any different in sound which is good. However, I am very disapointed with myself and a little upset with what I did, so I also asked the Klipsch Tech Support about selling me a woofer, and they do have replacement woofers available. For someone who has never replaced one of these, or even opened up a speaker, would you guys consider it worth my while to buy the woofer and replace it myself? Also if anyone has any advice or an article on undertaking a project like this, that would be helpful as well :)

I'll try a vacuum when I get home. I also heard a q-tip with a dab of super glue on the end works well too, or sticking a piece of scotch tape and pulling it up possibly. However there seems to be a small hard crease in the woofer, which is what I was mostly worried about. I also just read turning up the volume on something very bassy may have a positive effect on popping it back out as well.

The dent is a tad worse than the picture shows, or I may be overly critical because I love it so much.

Dent

Klipsch actually got back to me pretty quick. A new woofer would be 42.00 + tax and shipping. With my luck, once I opened it up, I would end up with a very nice and heavy paper weight.

I roll with grills on since I have a toddler running around with hot wheels in each hand but even my OCD side says replace it and have a nice paperweight. 42 bucks is cheap and I'm sure you could find a write up even without pics to explain how to do it. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

• Moderators

Should be simple to replace if you choose to. You will need to remove the 12 hex screws that hold the front baffle in place. My guess is the speaker will have it's own set of screws that secure it to the cabinet. Once you unscrew it, unhook the positive and negative cable from the speaker, connect it to the new speaker and reverse the process. Probably a 10 - 15 minute replacement.

• Moderators

I also heard a q-tip with a dab of super glue on the end works well too

I personally would not even consider this method. I have no desire to have superglue stuck to my speakers. And what if the object that has the super glue gets stuck to your driver?

It would look very ridiculous having the end of a q-tip stuck to my woofer, but I figure I mine as well go as extreme with my methods as I want, because in the end, if it doesn't work or ruins it even further, it's getting pulled out and replaced anyway. Or I suppose it might be better if I just let it be, replace it, and I'll have an extra part in case anyone here needs it in the future, or myself with the luck I have been having lately. The RC-64 seems extremely common around here.

It end up being a total of 51$. Will let you know how it goes in about 7-10 days. I think it was a good choice to replace, I was fearing it was going to be closer to 200-300. This at the very least will get me a much better return on my investment if I want to sell them to replace them with a Palladium setup when I become the CEO of Microsoft.

The scary part is I still kind of want to try the super glue trick.

From a function-over-form perspective, as long as the voice coil isn't damaged and there is no noticeable difference in sound quality, save your money. The grill can hide it anyway. Since you are going to replace it, I don't know for sure what you'll find when you get into the cabinet. Be very careful with the screws, use a properly sized philips head as you don't want to strip anything. I don't know if the speaker wires are connected to the speaker with slip on terminals or solder. If they are soldered, make sure to use a heat sink and alligator clips when soldering them back on.

• 2 weeks later...

My driver finally came in. Just wanted to chime in, as there isn't a lot of information about opening up Klipsch speakers. All I needed was a starbit for opening the cover. The tweeter came out with the cover, but each driver is mounted to the frame seperate, so it was just 4 more screws to remove and it pulled right out. The connections were covered with a clear plastic sheath. Just had to pull on it and it slides right down the wire exposing the connection. The wire clips right onto the woofer, so all I had to do was very slightly pry part of the clip back and pull and it came right off. The new one then slid right on, and slid the plastic sheaths back up, screwed the new driver in, screwed the cover on and I was done.

It really felt like Klipsch designed them to make them very easy to repair. So long story short, if anyone has any damage to the woofers, they are extremely easy to replace. In fact I now plan on keeping an eye out for blown Klipsch speakers. For as low as some of the prices blown speakers have gone for, it is well worth it to put the 50$ in to buy a new driver and the 5-10 minutes it takes to replace, even if just to resell.