Need a new receiver

roaddog359

• Moderators

Whats a good crossover point for my svs pb13 ultra to be set at on the emotiva? emoQ sets it at 250htz.

Wow...doesn't surprise me though. EmoQ ins't that great.

Start at 80Hz and work your way down until you find something you like. What are your mains set at?

Whats a good crossover point for my svs pb13 ultra to be set at on the emotiva? emoQ sets it at 250htz.

Wow...doesn't surprise me though. EmoQ ins't that great.

Start at 80Hz and work your way down until you find something you like. What are your mains set at?

I think I havethem all at now at 60hz

not sure if this has been posted, but you might want to wait for the Onkyo 818. Looks to be around $1100 and will have mult eq XT32

It looks like it won't be a good choice if you have more than 1 sub tho, no sub EQ.

I do run multiple subs, but EQ them with a Behringer BFD and an UltraGain unit. Wouldnt make much difference for me, although, the ability to independently EQ two separate subs would be absolutely KILLER.

Not sure why you'd bother crossing over your fronts and center at a different frequency, unless your center channel has SERIOUS low end limitations. You'd never want to leave a gap between channels like you have in your example, unless your room and set up somehow create a nasty peak in frequency response at like 55 hz. Typically people cross their subs over at the same frequency as their mains AND center. Most frequently 80 Hz across the board, or slightly lower if you have "capable" main, center and surround speakers.

Thinking about ordering another svs PB-13 Ultra sub in the American Cherry wood to match my klipsch. Should I try and run two subs?

Two subs, especially two of the same, will smooth out the response when integrated properly.[Y] Even though with two different subs it is possible, it is usually much more difficult to do so than with two identical subs.[Y][Y]

Or move the rosenut svs somewhere else or put it up for sale??

You could use the rosenut sub with another system but I say only do so if you felt after much trial and error that two subs isn't yielding much more than one in terms of quality and impact.

or put it up for sale??

Of course that is always an option but consider the $$$ loss by doing so and weigh if it is worth the loss to get the cherry sub.

I love having two subs in my system and I did it the hard way with two different brands and sizes.

Bill

• Moderators

I love having dual subs. If you are going to order it anyways, try both and see what you think. you can always move one to another room if you want to.

i love the wii statement in your signature. i just listed mine on craigslist for the very same reason

should your sub and fronts and center be crossed at the same level or it does not matter if, your fronts are 60, center is 70 and sub is 50 for example?

The R+L can be crossed over at a certain frequency, center at another, and surrounds at yet another, so long as the receiver has the capability. But I am confused at your comment of sub is 50. The sub low-pass should be disabled or set as high as possible.

Below is some email correspondence between Ed Mullen of SVS and myself about sub woofer finish availability. Just an FYI if you are in the market!

[Ed Mullen] At our current run rate, we'll probably run out of AC PB13U inventory in about 8-11 weeks. We just sold a container load of them to Japan - if that happens again then it will shorten that time.

(ME) You are sure that once the cherry sells out that svs will never no longer produce a cherry sub?

[Ed Mullen] I'm not fond of the word 'never', but we have no immediate plans to re-up AC or Nat. Oak and will be moving forward with black oak and gloss black.

(ME) What about the rosenut that I have now? Will that ever be made again?

[Ed Mullen] Same answer as above - we have no plans to re-up rosenut.

should your sub and fronts and center be crossed at the same level or it does not matter if, your fronts are 60, center is 70 and sub is 50 for example?

The R+L can be crossed over at a certain frequency, center at another, and surrounds at yet another, so long as the receiver has the capability. But I am confused at your comment of sub is 50. The sub low-pass should be disabled or set as high as possible.

The cross over on the umc-1 for the sub woofer is set to 60hz. All the other speakers are also crossed at 60hz Am I doing something wrong here?

I dont see a sub low pass setting or switch on the sub.

The cross over on the umc-1 for the sub woofer is set to 50hz. Am I doing something wrong here?

I dont see a sub low pass setting or switch on the sub.

The manual is vague on what this is, but it is likely a low-pass filter. Set it as high as you can: 150 Hz is the top end of the PB13 Ultra. 50 Hz is way too low and creates a hole between 50 Hz and other crossover frequencies.

Ed from svs suggested that I set the LFE to 120. Is that the same setting you are talking about in the umc-1? I did not know where to make that adjustment at if it was on the sub amp or in the umc-1? I am thinking its the umc-1 now? So I shhould set the sub in the umc-1 to 120 what svs recommended? Or go for 150?

• Moderators

I believe what he is saying is if you set a Xover frequency for your mains (ex. 60Hz, if you set your sub to 50Hz, there is a "gap" or a "hole" where frequencies might not be produced. The Xovers do have a rolloff but not sure how that works.

If you set a Xover frequency in the UMC-1 (say for example 60Hz), he is recommending that you turn the Xover on your sub all the way up (120Hz - 150Hz or whatever you highest setting is). That is because there is no need to have two Xovers working. The UMC-1 will only be sending frequencies at and below the Xover settin in the UMC-1.

Hope that helps.