LoneLobo Motorcycle Wreck

Mallette

Friend of the family lost one of his by doing the same thing...at 35 mph the 700 lb bike ground down his pinned leg to mash and fractured his femur bone which lanced the femoral artery.

I know nothing about such things. I do know that Ron is highly experienced and that, given the highway, the speed was probably more like 70. Also, the logic of a lay down as opposed to a sudden stop strikes me as the better option.

However, we are both armchair quarterbacking and the fact is that he survived what sounds on the surface like a virtually unsurvivable situation. So

1. God was with him.

2. He was lucky

3. He was higly skilled and reacted with a firing solution that worked.

Or some combination of the above.

Matters not to me other than he will live a while longer.

Dave

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. God was with him.

2. He was lucky

3. He was higly skilled and reacted with a firing solution that worked.

Or some combination of the above.

Matters not to me other than he will live a while longer.

I agree. I hope he heals 100%.

I love to ride but since age 15 (oops, I was breaking the law but we won't go there) have always felt butt naked while being on the road so I never pursued it. Instead, I went to dirt bikes figuring if I was going to hit a stationary object I'd rather it be more my fault than a car jumping out in front of me unexpected.

Today's report sucks. While he isn't, according to medical opinion, in immediate danger of death, Ron is in a medically induced coma and the injuries are worse than the initial reports. I am not going to list them as I fear not getting it right, but what is clear is that he will be in ICU for 2 to 3 weeks. That should say it all. It's going to be a long time before he hauls another speaker up my stairs.

Dave

Just a bump while waiting for good news.

"Good" is relative, but it is good. Surgery on the left knew tomorrow with extubation as soon as practicable. I will report as soon as I have futher info. Excellent Baylor orthopedist doing the job, and they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't feel he was ready.

Dave

Ron has been my primary shooter for my company for a decade. Wow, this is a punch in the gut. A great guy. I'd like to visit him and see what I can do to help, but don't know about visitation, etc. Will there be a time when he will be accepting visitors?

Greg Coon

Ron is out of surgery and stable. Basically “prepare to repair,” with nuts and bolts and putting things back where they belong in preparation for repair, probably within 2 weeks. He will be extubated and brought up from the coma tomorrow if nothing changes.

Dave

Glad to hear this, they wouldn't have worked on the leg if there were bigger problems, hope the worst is over.

Serious mortal danger is, hopefully, passed unless there are complications. The PAW is flying direct from NO to DFW Friday and my son and I will drive up for the weekend. It's my hope to be able to give Ron hell for participating in such a devilishly clever and effective plan to get me on Facebook.

Dave

Ron's first words: "My mouth tastes like ***."
Nurse: Do you know where you are?
Ron: The Bahamas?
I think he is back with us.

Dave

Wow...I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you or LoneLobo and I wish him a speedy recovery...Fwiw, if he's at Denton Presbyterian Hospital he should be in good hands and we all know that the chicks here in Denton are alot better looking than the ones in the Bahamas. [:P]

we all know that the chicks here in Denton are alot better looking than the ones in the Bahamas. Stick out tongue

Amen to that...

He's in Regional, but will be moved soon. He asked my wife to do some legwork (as it were) to help him decide where. Likely either UT Southwestern or one of the Texas Medical Center facitilities in Houston.

He is in very rough shape and in a lot of pain. Trying to breath with six broken ribs is apparently quite exquisitely painful, but he is soldiering on and manages some quips from time to time. I learned the intial report of both legs broken was incorrect. Only the left, and it is at least possible that it may not need knee replacement...but that is not clear yet.

For what it's worth, he said the bike is in much better shape than he is...

Dave

PS-Not sure I mentioned the PAW and I are in Denton near the hospital for the weekend. He was pretty tired tonight so we kept it to an hour but hope to get more of a visit in tomorrow.