LoneLobo Motorcycle Wreck

Mallette

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron improved mightily from Friday to this morning and was only on a nasal canula, which made communications MUCH easeir for all concerned. He is NOT out of danger and won't be until the lung issue resolves, but his trauma doc says the trends are good and he's pleased.

He's good for company and I'd encourage Forum folk in the area to go see him at Denton Regional, 3rd Floor, North, ICU room 3. No visitors 6-8 morning and evening.

Dave

"Apparently a vehicle pulled in front of him... in order to avoid a collision he laid the bike down which was the right thing to do.

He's lucky to still have his legs.

Friend of the family lost one of his by doing the same thing...at 35 mph the 700 lb bike ground down his pinned leg to mash and fractured his femur bone which lanced the femoral artery. The hemorrhaging went septic and required amputation.

For the sake of safer riding, never consider laying a bike down an option.

http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/bike-down.php

I'm saddened to hear of this forum member's crash and serious injuries. I wish him a full and speedy recovery. I know what he's going through.

The reason I can say that is that I rode for nearly thirty years, despite crashing on the street and on the track a number of times. One of the final crashes kept me in hospital for six months. If LoneLobo is in hospital for a long time, he'll likely appreciate visits more after he regains some strength. What often happens with long hospital stays is that your friends and family tire you with lots of visits for the first week or two, then rarely come in the following months, just when you would most appreciate the company.

As for how the crash happened, this is a case where I must agree with Quiet_Hollow. "Laying down" a bike may be a good idea if you have to slide under a trailer or something similar, but in almost every other instance it's far better to brake and reduce your speed so you can possibly avoid the impact by maneuvering around the object you're approaching, or at least lessen the impact.

The idea of locking your back wheel so the bike falls on its side on pavement allows it to almost maintain its speed, since the metal and plastic on its side does not slow it down like brakes do. This means you'll hit whatever is in front of you almost as hard as if you had done nothing to avoid it, except you're lying beside or even in front of the bike, and possibly badly scraped by sliding along the road, depending on what you're wearing.

When sliding along beside a bike, you have no control at all. The bike may turn as it slides, bringing you around in front of it, a really dangerous situation, or a tire could touch the pavement and get traction momentarily, causing the bike to flip into the air, something you don't want to be near. As was mentioned by a previous poster, it could also pin you to the pavement and grind away parts of your body until you come to a stop.

In the majority of cases, "I laid 'er down" really means "I panicked and stomped on the back brake so hard that the rear came around and the bike fell down with me on it." Riders suddenly confronted with an obstacle in their path rarely have the time or training to decide to pull a stunt from a Hollywood movie. It's far more likely that they'll either do nothing or hit the brakes as hard as they can, without balancing the braking force so that neither the front nor rear tire skids and makes the situation worse.

Maybe as more bikes come equipped with ABS, impacts with objects on or around the road will result in less severe injuries, or the impacts will be avoided altogether, but in many panic situations, the rider takes no action at all, riding into whatever is in front of him at his original speed.

This was shown in the ground-breaking Hurt Report, which closely analyzed a large number of motorcycle crashes in the late 1970s. Further investigations were to follow, but little has been done so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report

The findings from the Hurt Report: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

All that said, I was not criticizing LoneLobo, just trying to dispel a dangerous "old rider's tale" that should have stopped being repeated as long ago as the 1940s.

Once again, I wish him a complete recovery and speedy return to normal life.

I am no judge and will not try to analyze the wreck, but as LL was in better shape to talk of trivia yesterday he allowed a few more details. First, he has 35 years experience with big bikes, mostly Harleys, and probably would agree with the sentiments here. OTOH, he indicates that there simply was, for reasons I cannot analyze not having been there, zero options. Don't know if it was sight lines or what. However, he is amazed at the injuries as he says he did it in such a way that he should not be so badly hurt. He says the bike isn't in bad shape at all (apparenly, he examined it as he lay waiting for the MICU!). I suspect it was his very large body that made the difference, along with perhaps a worst possible coincedence of forces and conditions.

As has been suggested, one cannot second guess another's situation and one should never say "never" to much of anything save perhaps riding without a helmet.

More important is that by yesterday he was off the CPAP during the day for the first time and only on a nasal canula. Blood ox was still low, in the low 90s, but that is still quite an improvement over just Friday when it would drop into the low 80s on a mask. Danger of pneumonia continues, but appearances and the docs opinion suggest that the left lung contusion is beginning to resolve.

His attitude is inspiring and I really hated to leave. Either the PAW or both of us will return next weekend and others of our circle of friends are maintaining a daily presense all week.

We've all had a lot of fun and laughs over the past few decades together, and Ron has an enormous surplus in his love account he can drawn on indefintely.

Dave

I'm glad the situation has improved, sounds like a recovery is in progress. Not commenting on Lobos situation but for anyone reading, I agree braking and staying in control is the best bet usually.Speed limits and defensive riding are not optional.When I see any car I assume they intent to do something that will cause me a problem.I ride with a finger over the front brake and a thumb on the horn.I really like the idea of anti lock brakes, should be required.

Ron's Denton Trauma doc released him to Parkland Hospital Surgical ICU where he is undergoing pre-op tests. This was rather sudden and we don't have direct info from Parkland yet but are working on it. It sounds like there was great improvement from Sunday through today in his breathing as there is no way they'd do this surgery with compromised lung function.

My friend, brother, and soulmate is in very critical condition following lung collapse and cardiac arrest at Parkland Hospital in Dallas. In the past couple of years Ron had returned to the faith of his tribe and served his parish tirelessly and selflessly.

For those of faith but difficulty with the right words, I commend this prayer on his behalf:

O FATHER of mercies, and God of all comfort, our only help in time of need; We fly unto thee for succour in behalf of this thy servant, here lying under thy hand in great weakness of body. Look graciously upon him, O Lord; and the more the outward man decayeth, strengthen him, we beseech thee, so much the more continually with thy grace and Holy Spirit in the inner man. Give him unfeigned repentance for all the errors of his life past, and steadfast faith in thy Son Jesus; that his sins may be done away by thy mercy, and his pardon sealed in heaven, before he go hence, and be no more seen. We know, O Lord, that there is no word impossible with thee; and that, if thou wilt, thou canst even yet raise him up, and grant him a longer continuance amongst us: Yet, forasmuch as in all appearance the time of his dissolution draweth near, so fit and prepare him, we beseech thee, against the hour of death, that after his departure hence in peace, and in thy favour, his soul may be received into thine everlasting kingdom; through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ thine only Son, our Lord and Saviour. Amen.

Despite some recent bad publicity, there are few better trauma hospitals on earth than Parkland.

Another prayer, written by a better mind than mine.

Dear Lord of Mercy and Father of Comfort,

You are the One I turn to for help in moments of weakness and times

of need. I ask you to be with your servant, my brother, Ron in this illness. Psalm 107:20

says that you send out your Word and heal. So then, please send your

healing Word to your servant. In the name of Jesus, drive out all

infirmity and sickness from his body.

Dear Lord, I ask you to turn this weakness into strength, suffering into compassion, sorrow into joy, and pain into comfort for others. May Ron trust in your goodness and hope in your

faithfulness, even in the middle of this suffering. Let him be filled

with patience and joy in your presence as he waits for your healing

touch.

Please restore your servant to full health, dear Father. Please guide the medical professionals, as all wisdom and knowledge comes from You. Remove all fear and doubt from Ron's heart by the power of your Holy Spirit, and may you, Lord, be glorified through his life.

As you heal and renew your servant, Lord, may he bless and praise you.

All of this I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

Amen.

Direct quote from on the scene person without comment:

"Doctor Phelan just visited with everyone in the private waiting room for Ron's family and friends. He has indeed improved a little but is "the sickest patient in ICU". The good news is that his heart and lung function has improved. However it is still touch and go. He has suffered cardiac arrest twice. The first time was the worst and lasted half an hour. He was receiving CPR and they were "bagging" him with oxygen but the doctor cannot say if there has been neurological damage. That may be determined as early as tomorrow."

Dave

Just got off the phone with the PAW. She has been in the room and Ron squeezed her hand and nodded "Yes" when she asked if he understood it was her.

If that isn't an adequate report, then you aske too much!

Keep praying, there is more but what I have said is by far the most important at this point and I prefer to wait for details from those on the scene.

Dave

• Moderators

Dave and fellow forum members:

I apologize for not posting in this thread sooner. Those of you that know me are aware that my emotions in times like this run deep. That being said, Elden has been keeping me apprised of updates as they are posted.

There is a lot to be said for the family atmosphere Klipsch has created with this forum and the annual Pilgramage they sponsor. As I have said many times before Elden and I have forged life time friendships through this forum. It's like being at a family reunion with family members you actually enjoy spending time with. I pray that this spirit of friendship and love continue for years to come.

I had the opportunity to spend almost two days with Ron and Dave at last year's Pilgramage. I believe we forged a life long friendship that surpasses all understanding by most outside of KIipsch. That friendship, along with others will be with me the rest of my years.

Dave was still reeling from the loss of his dear daughter when we met in Hope last year. Dave, Elden and I met up at the Farmhouse. Needless to say, Dave and I had a warm hug for each other and talked about the loss of his daughter. My heart immediately warmed to Dave because it was obvious he not only had a deep love for his daughter, but for mankind. We cried together and laughed together promising to meet up the next day at the Park. He was anxiously awaiting the arrival of his dear friend Ron.

When we arrived at the Park Dave was there with Ron at his side. We spent the entire day under the tent laughing, joking and sharing stories of life, love and music. I left the Park that night knowing Ron and Dave would be life long friends of mine.

I guess what I am trying to say is, my heart and my prayers have been going out (and up) for Ron and Dave both. It is times like this that I am most grateful for you, our friends on this forum who pick up the Sword and when we can't pick it up and fight for ourselves. Ron is a strong, healthy, loving person....I pray that God restores his health. I pray for his family and his friends, that God grant them peace and hope that surpasses all understanding. I also pray for Dave, that God continue to strengthen his faith and sustain him in his time of need.

While I am not on here alot I don't want any one of you to think that I'm "not in the loop". If it's posted on here I know about it. My love of Klipsch speakers is one thing, but my love for each of our brothers and sisters we have met through Klipsch has blessed me more than any of you will ever know.

Lastly, Dave please extend my love, prayers and friendship to Ron when you are able to do so. Dave, please know also that I appreciate the friendship we all forged in a little town called Hope, AR. In case any of you are wondering this appreciation extends to all of you, whether we met here, in Hope AR or in Indianapolis, IN. You guys are as much a part of our family as anyone could possibly be. I apologize in advance for typos or misspelling...it's very difficult to proof read while crying.

I'd like to on the record here as saying that we could use more female voices on the forums: thanks for posting the message above. I didn't know about Dave's daughter. I'm very sorry to hear this. If I lost my daughter, it would be very difficult for me to breath much less carry on any kind of reasonable conversation or be neighborly towards others for a long while.

I'm also sorry to hear about Ron. I don't know him but he sounds like a really good person - i was looking forward to meeting him at some point due to geographic proximity. We need more of these type of people, it seems. I sincerely hope that he pulls through this one. None of us get out of this gig alive, but it seems that maybe it isn't his time. If things go well, it still sounds like he has a long hard row to hoe in front of him. If I were in his shoes, it seems that it would be nice to get some comic relief. Life is tough enough as it is.

Chris

I guess what I am trying to say is, my heart and my prayers have been going out (and up) for Ron and Dave both. It is times like this that I am most grateful for you, our friends on this forum who pick up the Sword and when we can't pick it up and fight for ourselves. Ron is a strong, healthy, loving person....I pray that God restores his health. I pray for his family and his friends, that God grant them peace and hope that surpasses all understanding. I also pray for Dave, that God continue to strengthen his faith and sustain him in his time of need.

While I am not on here alot I don't want any one of you to think that I'm "not in the loop". If it's posted on here I know about it. My love of Klipsch speakers is one thing, but my love for each of our brothers and sisters we have met through Klipsch has blessed me more than any of you will ever know.

I say Amen and Amen! Most know how everyone on this forum lifted me up in the past. There isn't a better, more caring, praying group than those I've met on this forum.

Bruce

• Moderators

I'd like to on the record here as saying that we could use more female voices on the forums: thanks for posting the message above. I didn't know about Dave's daughter. I'm very sorry to hear this. If I lost my daughter, it would be very difficult for me to breath much less carry on any kind of reasonable conversation or be neighborly towards others for a long while.

Chris

Chris I used to frequent the forum quite a bit and frankly I really do miss being on here. I will try to post a little more often. I can tell you that I have never met a finer group of individuals in my life. That goes for Klipsch employees and forum members. I know that a lot of you guys have become friends on here, this forum is a blessing in disguise.

After speaking with Dave a few minutes ago I am in agreement that Paul Klipsch must be looking down and is extremely pleased with the ties that have been bound through this media. I also know dtel and I formed very strong friendships before we ever attended our first Pilgrimage to Hope, AR.

That trip and the subsequent Pilgrimages we have attended have so richly blessed our lives. I am hesitant to list any names for fear that I would forget to mention someone! We have supported each other through the death of spouse, such as in Marvel's case, sickness and eventual death of beloved forum member, Oldbuckster, births of children, deaths of children, marriages, divorces, marriages of children, divorces of children, cancer, almost nervous breakdowns, self imposed haituses from the forum and on and on. We have cried together and laughed together. Not only in here, but on the telphone, in Hope, AR, in Indianapolis and across the country.

I have had a doctor from the forum attend to me in another state while we were at function. He got word I was sick and immediately came to our hotel room. We have vacationed with other members, slept in their home, they have slept in our home.

I never met PWK but I know a lot of people that have. It makes me feel good to know that as long as this forum is around PWK's spirit will linger with this company. This forum represents the best and the worst we each have to offer, but yet through one common theme we have remained and will remain friends through the ages.

So, Chris thank you for making me feel welcome...like I never left home. Marvel...you know how I feel about you without me even saying a word.

Dave, as always, it was great talking to you. You know I love you guys. If you need me....you know how to reach me. I praise God, as always, that through this you are steadfast in your faith!

I love you all!