Pilgrimage classical session in Indy

LarryC

Ick!Ick!Ick!

Something wrong?

Don't understand people who like classical, I accept their are those who do, just like there are those that are into coprophilia, don't think those people are wired right either, but to each his own.

Roger

I can remember, so many times when I was younger, whenever someone would get a new system (big speakers, powerful reciever, etc...) they always had to test it.

The first thing they would do would be to tune into a classical FM radio station and then crank it up. They would listen to the music for a few minutes and then they would say "sounds good."

Then they would put on some rock music and move from there and never come back to the classical station.

Go figure.... lol...

Excellent playlist, Larry. Wish I could be there.

I started listening to 'classical' music while in my mid 20s. My late wife worked with a young man at the US Post Office, who purchased the entire Nonesuch catalog. He would loan is boxes of LPs, and we would partake of illicit substances and listen.

Nowadays, this music carries me away all by its own power, melodic structure and emotional content. I'm happy to report that my youngest son decided to study music composition, and studied at Valparaiso U. Was first trumpet, too.

Bruce

I started listening to 'classical' music while in my mid 20s. My late wife worked with a young man at the US Post Office, who purchased the entire Nonesuch catalog. He would loan is boxes of LPs, and we would partake of illicit sunstances and listen.

Nowadays, this music carries me away all by its own power, melodic structure and emotional content. I'm happy to report that my youngest son decided to study music composition, and studied at Valparaiso U. Was first trumpet, too.

Bruce

Excellent! You probably couldn't beat than the Nonesuch catalog -- really covered the waterfront, and such great performances, too! I liked their Brandenburgs, Haydn symphonies, and Schumann 4-horn Konzertstück.

I remember you mentioning your son's progress before, and please keep us updated.

Larry

Wow. I'm speechless. I don't know if that post was due to ignorance or immaturity but either way, totally uncalled for.

I have enjoyed classical music most of my life, maybe due to piano lessons at a young age,my father's influence or possibly because it's just great music. I got away from it as I grew older and it was Larry who helped bring it back into my life after we met through the forum. Turns out he lived just blocks from my office and once a week or more he was kind enough to invite me to his home and we'd listen to various classical pieces while following along with the score (Twisted - please let me know if you need "score" defined).

Needless to say, this gave me a newfound appreciation for the great composers (along with others not so well known but still great) and opened my world to a whole new genre of great tunes. Spending half of my life listening to little but Grateful Dead, I'm very familiar with folks who don't see eye-to-eye musically but will never understand those who belittle others because they prefer Beethoven to AC/DC.

Wrongo Roger. Larry's part of my posse.

I've dispatched a couple of my associates named Knuckles and Chuckles to have a quiet chat with you.

Let's face it, not everyone is into classical. Fine. However, as far as this Forum goes, Larry has kindly arranged chats and lectures at The Pilgrimage for of those who are interested, curious or would like ot meet a person who actually shook hands with Ludwig Beethoven.

Indeed there are dozens of Forum member locally and from around the country who participated in classical concert outings he has organized. Many of those participants have been old school rock and rollers, picking up a few new musical tricks and getting to hear some awesome music to boot.

Don't believe me? Stop playing that rap and hip hop for a moment and put on the 1812 Overture. Then you'll really know why people like horn-loaded speakers.

Ick!Ick!Ick!

Something wrong?

Don't understand people who like classical, I accept their are those who do, just like there are those that are into coprophilia, don't think those people are wired right either, but to each his own.

Roger

Roger, from some offlines in the past few years I happen to know you aren't as intemperate, intolerant, and bigoted as the above might suggest.

As a matter of fact, I found you to be rather extraordinary on the personal basis.

Why would you find it necessary to comment on this? Certainly you have the right, but all you can accomplish is alienating some pretty fine people. Not much else. Most folks I know that don't listen to "classical" music (which I define as any music that is accepted by civilization in general as being non-temporal in nature...that would include the Beatles, Bach, and Chinese classical opera...lots of stuff) at least recognize that it is from where all of it came and worthy of respect.

with all due respect,

Dave