Inspired by Youthman's Post, What Was The First System You Bought Yourself?

So let's make this a fun one people and no making fun of the Kaiser as an Airman[:o] LOL If you have pictures even better but if not just list it out, love to know what you first bought yourself to enjoy your tunes on. After all inquiring minds want to know[A]

Horespower was the Pioneer SX-1050 120WPC Receiver, Driving a pair of larger Advent speakers, sourced from a Techniques SL-23 belt drive table going through a Pioneer SG-9500 EQ[8][Y]

post-18681-13819737032466_thumb.jpg

post-18681-13819767691824_thumb.jpg

post-18681-1381979466768_thumb.jpg

In college days (late 60s) I "bought" a system, using a housemate's money, consisting of a Pioneer receiver, Dual changer and Dynaco A25 speakers.

With my first teaching job in 74, I bought Bose 901s, Dynaco 400, Dynaco pre-amp, Dynaco tuner, AR-XB turntable (?Shure cartridge) and Sony 161-SD cassette player.

In 76, while in grad school, I bought 4 Speakerlab SKhorns, another Dynaco 400, a pair of Technics direct-drive turntables (Stanton cartridges) and a Meteor mixer/pre-amp to use in a mobile DJ Business. The SKhorns eventually led me to Klipsch.

Gotta love those old pioneer receivers..My first system was a pioneer sx-780 with the large advents purchased new in 1979 from sound design in Tampa..not much of a receiver but still have fond memories of the advents.I still have a few of the pioneers..sx-650..850 and 950..hard to find a better looking receiver then the old pioneers.They do a deasent job for a consumer grade receiver..Might p-u a pair of the advents someday!

So let's make this a fun one people and no making fun of the Kaiser as an AirmanSurprise LOL If you have pictures even better but if not just list it out, love to know what you first bought yourself to enjoy your tunes on. After all inquiring minds want to knowAngel

Horespower was the Pioneer SX-1050 120WPC Receiver, Driving a pair of larger Advent speakers, sourced from a Techniques SL-23 belt drive table going through a Pioneer SG-9500 EQBeerMusicYes

What a hoot.... Great photo.. I have a Pioneer SX-1050 (recently serviced) that I use. Pioneeer gear... outstanding....

Boxx, you and JB are rough[:o] LOL That was about the time of plaid pants, white belts with matching patent leather shoes[8-|] Now with all this said if you could see the pants I'm wearing today with my sandels and white Cuban style dress shirt you would swear I picked them up at the Rodney Dangerfield estate auction[H]

So hear (small play on the word here) is the final setup that returned from Germany with me in 1979, got rid of the SG-9500 EQ and changed the Techniques to a Thorens TD-115, picked up a Aiwa 6550 3 head cassette player and Teac 1035 R to R and added a sweet pair of JBL L-36's[:D]

post-18681-13819737608758_thumb.jpg

post-18681-13819768268918_thumb.jpg

post-18681-13819795246292_thumb.jpg

The "first" system was pretty unremarkable. A BOTL Technics receiver, BSR turntable, Toshiba cassette, and long forgotten speakers. I had it for less than a year.

The first "real" system of any significance was a Marantz 2240, Dual 1249 with a Shure cartridge, Pioneer CT-F9191 cassette deck, Akai X-D1000 (??) reel to reel, and Klipsch Belles. I had this system from 75 until 88 or 89. I wish I still had it. What I listen to know is nice but there was something kind of "special" about the Marantz and Belles pairing.

I have pictures of it in a box somewhere. Maybe I'll get inspired one day and dig them out and scan them.

• Moderators

I have pictures of it in a box somewhere.

Yep, if I can find it ?

Anyway it was a Sansui 8080, Akai G630 RTR, 2 turntables, Yamaha and Technics. Great stuff for over 35 years ago.

This was not my first but the rest were really cheap no name junk and sounded like it, this was my first "real" stereo.

For speakers it was DIY from a old book I had and my Dad helped me build them. The strange thing is years later I found klipsch and those speakers were almost an exact copy of the Cornwall, within 1/4" even ported the same way. They were also 3 way with horn tweeters and midrange, I got the drivers from an old place in New Orleans who rebuilt drivers for musicians. I brought in all the specs and the book, he even built me a crossover to match everything, he loved what he did and was excited to do something like this which was different from his normal work.

It was the best I had heard to that point, I immediately sold my JBL's somethings ? which were about the size of Heresys, they were all bass and sounded terrible compared to the horns.

I was hooked on horns, the only other horns I had heard were some giant Altec lansing "Voice of the theater" speakers I had seen in a old movie theater in the city. I started looking for info on altec and found they did very little for home use, that's when I searched for horn speakers and found Klipsch, I'm done searching. [Y]

Boxx, you and JB are roughSurprise LOL That was about the time of plaid pants, white belts with matching patent leather shoesGeeked Now with all this said if you could see the pants I'm wearing today with my sandels and white Cuban style dress shirt you would swear I picked them up at the Rodney Dangerfield estate auctionCool

So hear (small play on the word here) is the final setup that returned from Germany with me in 1979, got rid of the SG-9500 EQ and changed the Techniques to a Thorens TD-115, picked up a Aiwa 6550 3 head cassette player and Teac 1035 R to R and added a sweet pair of JBL L-36'sBig Smile

All spoken in good fun... However, that wall paper is a real treasure....

In 1954 I bought a LeeDeforest Consol,, With built in AM FM integrated amp 15 watts LencoTT and tape recorder,,All mono,,In a blond consol cabinet With EV speaker

I would be willing to bet that it sounded pretty darn good....

My first "real" system consisted of a Pioneer SX-3600 receiver, a Pioneer belt drive turntable, and a pair of Realistic speakers. In my younger days I owned several different Realistic speaker systems (up to and including the Mach IIs), as Radio Shack often had "buy one get one free" sales that were hard to beat for a poor young music lover like me at the time... [8-|]

My very first 2-Channel system is all McIntosh which consist of the following components: McIntosh MX130 Preamp, McIntosh MC7106 Amp, McIntosh MCD-7009 CD Player, McIntosh HT-1 Main Speakers.

Later, I added the following components (to share with the 2-Channel system) for my very first Home Threatre system: McIntosh MAC3 Dolby Digital Processor, McIntosh MLD7020 LaserDisc Player, McIntosh HT-4 Center Speaker, McIntosh HT-3 Surround Speakers and McIntosh HT-2 Subwoofer.

1977 - Sansui 9090 DB, JBL L65's (still own them and still work) and a dual turntable, we were dirt poor and newly married, I had to have this instead of a car, so I walked to class at UTA, my wife gave me $1 a day for eating and I was still quite chubby.

Yea, the wall paper has put me into such a flashback I will have to recover before I can remember my first system....SurpriseYesBig Smile

Thanks Kaiser,

My pleasure Joe, when one is renting from a German landlord and it's his house you get what you get[:o] LOL

Boxx, I know you and JB were just funnin' me[;)]

Keep them coming guys, I love to see what you first bought yourself to enjoy this hobby[8]

The first system that I had (that my mother bought for Christmas) was a Yorx all in one type. 8-track, TT, AM/FM with little RCA plugs to the speakers. I knew the moment I got it that she didn't "get" what I was saying I wanted to do.

Within a year I embarked on collecting and bought my Pioneer cassette deck and EV Interface D's. (this was 1978)

Next year I got my LaScalas, Yamaha, dbx....

Graduated high school and lugged this to college as the first system that "I" put together. (I still luv ya Mom, in spite of the Yorkville or whatever brand it was)

Side note: Still have the dbx, Audio Control, Yamaha & LaScalas.

post-15072-1381973768776_thumb.jpg

post-15072-13819768344758_thumb.jpg

post-15072-13819795327752_thumb.jpg