25Hz Tapped Horn

CECAA850

This is confusing to me. A while back I mentioned an idea for a born loaded center speaker for LaScalas and KHorns, and when I drew up my speaker with a measly 80hz extension, I was told by that it couldn't work due to the mouth size.

Here are a couple quotes from that thread:

• djk: I know you guys mean well, but a 'bass horn' with that small of a mouth will have no bass, zip, nadda, none.
  • StephenM: I found one formula; don't know how accurate it is: http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/horndesign.html. Using a Size Factor of 2, I came up with 0.736 square meters needed or 1340 square inches for 80Hz.

Perhaps what they are saying is that the woofer would not be able to keep up with the midrange and tweeter horns, let alone the main's woofers. That makes sense as the midhorn for a LaScala is bigger than the mouth of the sub you just built.

I bet that thing would be KILLER in a trunk with that 12db cabin gain.

• Moderators

kind of like a mini spud.

With only one driver so you can't wire it wrongStick out tongue.

I know, that was WRONG.

No your right, I almost pitched mine over a dumb mistake I made, one driver, I could still possibly wire it wrong ?

Good Job!

How does it sound?

Roger

Hey Roger.

I''ve run some sine waves through it and used my I-pod as a source and played some music through it. Its hard to imagine how it will sound without mains playing but I'm encouraged by what I've heard so far. A sub playing with no mains is hard to judge. I've built much bigger subs in the past but I'm not looking for huge output out of this one.

Nice job on the finish, what product is that? I like my spud alot, but I need 2 friends over if I ever wanna move it. That thing is almost cute :) I've been scanning the build thread but don't see who is selling the kit or for what price?

Nice job on the finish, what product is that? I like my spud alot, but I need 2 friends over if I ever wanna move it. That thing is almost cute :) I've been scanning the build thread but don't see who is selling the kit or for what price?

Here's the KIT . Note: the driver does NOT come in the kit.

The finish is extremely easy. I brushed on a household primer, then rolled it with a latex flat black. You use less than half a quart on something this size. The main thing is to use a rough (long) nap roller when you apply the paint. That's what gives the texture. If you want a little more texture, use a rough roller to apply the primer first.