Advice

Flason

One more argument for using PayPal with a visa card. I guess those tiny fees (although annoying) can sometimes protect you in case of fraud. I know I have been bailed out of similar situations from my Visa company on at least 2 occasions this past year.

Just to expand on UPS COD. I have used that twice when purchasing, and in both cases I inspected the merchandise before accepting it and handing over the check. In the first instance, the seller was confused and sold me something different than what was sent. I just refused delivery and back it went!

Doug

------------------

My System

I used to use iescrow.com. They held the money while I got 3 days to evaluate the merchandise and then they released to money or I sent it back. The seller had to get his stuff before I got my money back. It worked great! Sadly, they are no longer in business. I thought E-bay had a similar service available.

John

Hmmm...

I suggest you keep after the guy until he goes dark. You might still get your money. Then you might want to cut bait. It could be cost you more money and time than it is worth. Doing it on principal could be very expensive.

My guess is a local PD would just tell you this is a civil matter and to sue the seller unless you have real evidence that the seller is running a scam. Most PDs around here don't have the manpower to devote to this.

If this had been a $350 purchase on eBay, paid for with a credit card via PayPal to a verified seller, the worse you would be out is $25. eBay provides insurance on the first $200 less a $25 deductible. PayPal covers the next $200. And ofcourse, there is always the possibility of getting the credit card company to just reverse the charge completely.

In my experience, most of the sellers on eBay are honest. I cannot say the same about other venues. I have done about 100 transactions on eBay, mostly buying, and have never had one turn out bad. I did have a nervous feeling when a buyer had to leave the country suddenly on familiy business. But it worked out in time. Of course, I do pass up some items because the seller just seems flaky. Buyer beware.

UPS COD, with appropriate insurance, sounds like a good way to prevent a problem like this if you are a buyer.

Worst case, you just learned a good lesson for $350.

Flason,

Our local ABC News Affiliate, Channel 7 News has Consumer Related Problems Solving Volunteers who work with their local reporters on resolving similar consumer problems. They've broadcast many consumer related scams, and have made financial recoveries or satisfactory remedies for consumers on their "Call for Action" Segments. Their recovery success rate is very high, as one might suspect, since these vermin do not like reporters and cameras exposing their lack of honesty and integrity.

Here's a link that has the "Call For Action" phone number and email address. I think they would welcome the challenge of exposing a potential interstate internet scam artist. Won't cost much for the phone call and the email is virtually free.

http://www.detnow.com/callforaction/

<edit> Email the "Call For Action Team" and Blind Copy the Seller. I'm sure he doesn't want the Team on his back. Could prove the additional kick in the pants to get him motivated.

You could also pay Brett and me to leave a Horse's Head in his bedSmash.gif

Best to ya,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-06-2002 at 01:39 PM

That horse head sounds interesting. If it scared the crap out of a mobster, think what it would do to just a regular, albeit swindling, guy. I purchased this off a guy from another forum. (Yes, there are other forums out there) I have met Mike L. from this forum, and he knew a few people and so on and so on, so my baseline for people who visit boards like this was set high. I believed they are an honest group of people with similar interests. And I didn't send money to a nobody. This guy had 700 posts and researching his previous post, he was liked by the other members and had sold things on the board before. So, I blame Mike Lindsey for me trusting other folks from a BBS like this. No Mike, you don't owe me $350. But I will take the Vette in lieu of the cash.cwm17.gif

If the individual is just stalling, perhaps a Blind Copy of an email inquiry from you to our local media will energize them to get your refund back quickly. Especially if they are doing business locally. No seller or business in this area wants negative broadcasts from News 7's CFA reporters.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Mike, The folks on this board seem a cut above the other boards. Although I have relatively few posts under my belt, I have been a voyeur here for quite some time. I am sure your money is on it's way. BTW Did you get the Scala's? I just picked up a excellent pair of KG4 WO for a c note. Now I have to decide on which speakers to get rid of. Damn space constraints. I'm leaning toward the Hersey's cause the KLF's are just too good. Later

Shapeshifter (Wes)-- Good to see some other local Detroiter's stepping up to support Flason and hopefully improve our cities image further.

Great idea about Channel 7's CFA team.....Also, don't forget Fox 2's Hall of Shame.....Between these two investigataive news teams they make 60 minutes look like child's play....

Wes is right, this guy will NOT want this type of attention if he lives in the Metro-Detroit Area....Worth a shot.

Dead Horses Head.....Hmmmmm....Excellent idea Wes...Watch for private message so we can do some work together....Biggrin.gif

BTW, Wes gets 4 stars as a BB/Forum trader. As he and I made a mutually good deal locally last summer...I love my Chorus II's and C7!! Take Care Wes.

Brett

------------------

This message has been edited by BLOOMIS914 on 06-06-2002 at 08:38 PM

I do not know what I can do but let me know. I can leave the guy a nasty salesman phone call; I have 19 years of practice.

Bloomis,

You have a C7? How do you secure that beast in your system. There is such a difference in "footprint" between the RC3 i have and that one.

Neihbors have not evicted you yet in Canton; or do you buy them ear plugs.

Mike,

The La Scala auction ends on Sunday. Colin (Flood) will be going over to take a look/listen to them tomorrow morning, and will give me his report on them (just like he did with my Chorus II's that I sold to jhawk92). If he says they are worth going after then I will bid on them. Otherwise, I will still be looking for Cornwalls or La Scala's in the local area (within a 4 hour drive)...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Not too picky about the year but the finish should be Raw Birch, Black or Oiled Oak (and should be mint to near mint). I might even go for CW II's as they have the same horns as my Chorus I's (K-57-K and K-79-K). I would love to get the La Scala's. I have always wanted a pair since I heard them back in '79. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for keeping an eye open for me. BTW, my room looks bare now without the speakers in the rear. I need to get something pretty quick. Smile.gif

Mike

Audioflynn- I actually have two (2) KLF-C7's...One is in my everyday HT/Music system on the main floor of my home and it consists of KLF-30's, KLF-C7 and KSP-S6's, Toshiba DVD and 35" Mitsubishi and powered using a Marantz SR8000.

Then I have my dedicated HT/DVD-Audio Room/Theater in the basement, it includes Chorus II's, KLF-C7, KSP-S6's, KSW-15 sub in front and KSW-100 sub in rear. I am using an SE-13HD LCD projector on a 106" Da-Lite high contrast screen and all leather stadium seating for six....I need to add one more C7 for my rear center in my basement Theater to complete my DTS-ES setup.....See my link below for detailed photos of my basement theater.

Brett

------------------

This message has been edited by BLOOMIS914 on 06-07-2002 at 10:14 PM