K-55-V Driver Specifications

floroflores

The data I put up is for the k-55-v. They are made by atlas sound. If you have an 8 ohm driver that looks like the picture then you have a siren driver which can include the atlas SD-70 , amoung others. Frequency range of the SD-70 only goes to 2000khz but handles 75 watts instead of the 40 watts the PD5VH handles. If you have a bolt hole in your driver you have an SD-70. It can also be the case that you have a PD5VH but someone incorrectly installed an 8 ohm coil in it. The k-55 is def a 16 ohm driver which should have a DCR of about 10.4 to 11 ohms using a multi meter.

Well, someplace on the forum I posted the Atlas spec sheet on the older simple driver. Maybe someone can find it and link. I'll take a look at the office computer archives over the weekend.

A note on specifications. Electical impedance varies over freq and thus one number is always not true (save for one point, maybe).

It is possible to look at freq response on a plane wave tube which is accurate. But if you look at actual output of a horn when the unit is attached to the horn, it is different. Again, simple numbers are not true.

Going to back to the hardware:

There were two variations in the old days of the K-55-V. One had a one-part phase plug and this had spring loaded button type connections. The improved model had a modified two-part phase plug which improved the output generally boosting it up to 6000 Hz. See attached. It had solder terminal.

The recent K-55-X has the original single piece phase plug, from what I read, and maybe solder terminals.

WMcD

K55VOneandTwoPiecePhasePlug[1].pdf

I removed my screens and it made no difference that I could tell.

the solder post k-55 has a smaller exit hole that the push pin terninal k-55. the results may differ. also, some of the screens have lost of corrossion and debris, and obviously if one were to remove an obstructed screen, it could sound different.

• 6 years later...
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 2:49 AM, floroflores said:

Hey y'all!

I recently bought a nice pair of K-55-V drivers. The only thing I know is that the frequency range starts at 400 Hz. I have already been browsing through the archive here but couldn't find a complete specs sheet or such. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks guys!

Hi i am looking for the K 55 V Mid driver Specs i believe it starts atound 500 Hz i need to know the Cut out Frequency is it around 6000 hz or more. Please inform me. 

In addition to the above, see this:

https://www.atlasied.com/pd-5vh

The PD-5VH is EXACTLY the K-55-X and early spring terminal K-55-V.  The early '80s solder terminal -V is modified to improve its HF output.  NB: the horn it is mounted on dictates most of the driver's performance. 

Hello I need to know where does The K 55V Frequency starts and Ends  please inform me as i plan to dtart it at around 500 Hz and hope to Rnd it at around 5 to 6000 Hz and let my Jbl 2402 Super Bullet take over from around 5000 hz to around 6000 Hz my Klipshorn K 33E Woofer to end At around 500 Hz your advise will be Appreciated.

Kind Rgds

Frank Jansz 

My K55 V Drivers is 1" Mouth and has got Soldered Connectors.

Please keep me informed

On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 2:49 AM, floroflores said:

Hey y'all!

I recently bought a nice pair of K-55-V drivers. The only thing I know is that the frequency range starts at 400 Hz. I have already been browsing through the archive here but couldn't find a complete specs sheet or such. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks guys!

Dear Friend I too have got the Original Lascala K55V Drivers that Starts from 400 Hz And works smoothly up to around 5000 Hz . I am now in the Market looking for A 1" Driver Adapter to Couple a 2" Mouth Opening of The JBL 2386 A Horn Flares long Throw Horn . I hope you could help . .

Rgds 

Frank Jansz.

I hope that thevinfo in ref to the k 55v of 400hz to 5000Hz is of any help to you..

I use a 3 way all tube active crossover and cross the K55V from 500 hz to 4000Hz at 12 DB Slope and when i go Passive i cross it at 500 hz to 6000 hz and it seems to start rolling off and fades out at around 5300Hz gradually.

I think at 400hz to 5000 hz it sounds very classy . I am lucky as my 2402 JBL Super Bullet can work down to around 2.500 Kz  and my klipsh K33E woofers starts at 50 Hz and starts rolling off at around 600 Hz thats why i got my Luxman 3 way set at 500 to 4000 hz 

Hope this will help you.

Rgds

Frank

From Australia

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 10:10 PM, Deang said:

The cut-off is determined by the horn. What horn are you using?

Which speaker? For example, the Klipschorn bass bin won’t reach 500Hz. 

The driver itself will go from 400-6000 without any problem - on the right horn. 

I am using The JBL 2386 2"mouth Flares  and i am looking for Compression screw type K55 V Driver Adapters to 2 " Bolt on JbL Flares . Any help will be appreciated. 

Rgds

Frank Jansz

2 hours ago, Frank Jansz said:

I am using The JBL 2386 2"mouth Flares  and i am looking for Compression screw type K55 V Driver Adapters to 2 " Bolt on JbL Flares . Any help will be appreciated. 

Rgds

Frank Jansz

Have you checked eBay? Lots of options there:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=2"+horn+adapter+1+3%2F8&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=2"+horn+adapter+1+3%2F8

On 8/22/2012 at 2:58 PM, WMcD said:

The recent K-55-X has the original single piece phase plug, from what I read, and maybe solder terminals.

...and crosses over at 450 and 4.5K Hz, rather than at 400 and 6K Hz.  I believe the slopes are greater, also.