Klipsch advantage for large rooms?

imahawki

Am I stretching it to assume that Klipsch speakers would have an inherent advantage in large rooms? I have a large finished basement that is all one room and it is 800 square feet with 7'8" ceilings and is all one open space. I'm looking at building a HT around either RF-62IIs or RF-82IIs. Do you think high effeciency speakers will help fill the room better?

I went and listened to the Klipsch speakers today. I listened to the RC-62II with both the RF-62IIs and RF-82IIs as well as what must have been Klipsch RS20s based on the shape. I was very impressed. Even though they had the sub turned up way to high, I was able to fiddle around enough (and turned it off for part of the session) to get a fair impression. I'll probably go with the 82s based on the size of my room. I'll also be going with probably RB-51s based on the shape of my room but haven't decided for sure yet. I don't feel like I need a ton of bass from my surrounds as they tend to provide more directional queues and I've never really seen a huge benefit personally out of having larger surrounds.

I had a huge surpise when I moved into a large room. Big rooms will act as a sponge acoustically. Or that's the conclusion I got from my journey. Particularly, I was after reference level, and it was not easy to accomplish. My search ended with LaScalas. You're on the right track.

... I'll also be going with probably RB-51s based on the shape of my room but haven't decided for sure yet. I don't feel like I need a ton of bass from my surrounds as they tend to provide more directional queues and I've never really seen a huge benefit personally out of having larger surrounds.

But the RB-51s are rear ported so you don't want to mount them on a wall. Surrounds shouldn't be directional, that's way if you use traditional bookshelf spearkers it is recommended to have them above ear level. While I agree you don't need a ton of bass from surrounds, I would look at/consider getting a "RS" surround.

I already have my room wired for surrounds up near the ceiling level and have used DRs in this space before. I'm not sure the RS series will do much for me because there is no "back wall" for the sound to bounce off of. There is over 20 feet of empty space behind the home theater area as the room is nearly 40ft long. Plus to be honest, I've always found bi/dipole surrounds to be incredibly overpriced. I've owned some in the past. When I had a Paradigm setup I owned the their dipole surround that went with what at the time was called their "performance series". When I upgraded to the "monitor series" I ditched the dipoles and went DR and never had a complaint.

i odnt think the main reason for the rs series is to bounce sound off anything as it is to be more of a speaker that dissapears on the sides of you and aren't so directional. i can tell you i have had both kinds as my surround channels and the rs are way better IMO. i do like book shelves for the surround back. and i also used to run 82's and i can tell you that the rs-42's will keep up with those just fine even in a large living room area. and they can be had for pretty cheap if you call around. try mike over at acoustic sound design. also i noticed you said you had some bipoles before. i have heard a couple others like b&w and polk's and i dont think they are designed as well as klipschs' for the reason that klipsch has all the same drivers on both sides. the b&w's i heard were more like the rs-41 design and the polks had a woofer and tweeter on one side and only a tweeter on the other side. neither sounded great to me. my two cents.

I already have my room wired for surrounds up near the ceiling leve

I have my side surrounds near the ceiling and like the spatial effect that they provide. I did not care for surrounds closer to ear level. The RS speaker are both directional and diffuse to get the best of both worlds. They should not be considered as dipole or bipole. The RS speakers are so nice I never see people second guessing their purchase on those speakers. I use a pair for front height speakers due to their dual purpose.

I made the purchase today. I bought the RF-82ii, RC-62ii, and RS-52ii at Nebraska Furniture Mart. I think I got a pretty good deal but I'm not sure if discussing pricing is allowed. I also bought a new TV, so they're all being delivered on the 14th after I get back from vacation.

I made the purchase today. I bought the RF-82ii, RC-62ii, and RS-52ii at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Nice combination. You should be very happy with the results. Also nice to see one of Warren Buffets companies as a Klipsch dealer! The company I work for is also under his umbrella......good luck!