Plywood cutting tutorial

CECAA850

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm done with the patio stereo. I have a Sony (heavily modified) tuner, Emotiva CD player, Haffler amp (VERY dynamic) and Adcom pre-amp. All sources sound really good. I'm happy with the combo.

The next project will involve a pair of KP-301's in the garage (no sub needed there!).[6]

post-15193-13819827582352_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

DevilDevilDevilDevil In retrospect, I may not have needed the dual driver set up DevilDevilDevilDevil

It gets pretty loud.

Carl,

Awesome work, sorry I am so late at seeing this thread about your build. Let me show my ignorance here, where is the mouth of the horn pointed? I don't see it in the picture.

babadono

• 9 months later...

Yes, they have one that will fit over a full sheet, and have attachments that go into the t groove. It also goes at angles. I think up to 22 degrees. From what the reviewer said, it's the only one on the market that actually holds the board tight without bowing or slipping, or damaging the wood. 100" is around $150. 50" I've seen for $50 and the saw guide is $30 but not required

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but reading from the beginning of this thread one of these would make your life easier until you get a table saw.

That would actually work better. It's tough to work a full sheet of plywood on a table saw. The Bora would have been much faster than the method I used. Clamps and home made guides were all I had to work with. I'm excited about using the track saw though.

The festool track saw looks like a nice tool. I have used their sanders in the past and they are great. my reasons for looking at the boras vs any brand of track saw is portability, versatility, and price. now to clarify that. i work in the field, i need something that is lightweight and portable. both have that. but when it comes to the versatility, i can use any tool requiring guidance with the bora. For me that means cordless tools. usually the cut is made quicker than wresting the extension cord out of the job box and hunting an outlet. Now if i was in the situation where there was always an outlet available and i was only using a saw, the festool would be the way to go, although it isn't too far off in price from purchasing a table saw if space permitted. On some of my research there seems to be a number of cabinet guys that even with a table saw in their shop still use their track saws often since it is easier then wrestling a full sheet into a table.

On some of my research there seems to be a number of cabinet guys that even with a table saw in their shop still use their track saws often since it is easier then wrestling a full sheet into a table.

That seems to be the consensus opinion from what I've seen also. There's a local woodworkers supply store here that stocks more tools than you could imagine. They handle only wood working tools. According to them, there's no better method to cutting full sheets of ply. A lot of cabinet makers are switching over according to them also. I've been looking for something more accurate and faster than what I've been using and this seems to be it. Free standing panel saws take up too much room and are much higher in price.

I like to have my local store like Lowes or Menards cut the panels down, That way I can transport them easily and cut them on my table saw after that. I wouldn't have room for a track saw, but more power to you. Looks like it would be easier, then zero clearance cutting guide along with clamps.