Plywood cutting tutorial

CECAA850

Carl, don't skimp on the bracing man. emotion-9.gif You'll regret that the first time you put full power to it. Looks great so far! Beer

I know, I know ,follow the plans. There's 11" from the brace to either the top or the bottom. I can't imagine that hardwood birch ply is going to flex that much to give me any issues. I believe Bill wants a brace every 8" or so as opposed to the 11" I'm doing. If I was using cheap ply I'd stick to the 8" rule, but using BB, I figured I'd try my luck with 11". That's the main reason I didn't post this build at the BFM site, I didn't want to appear that I knew more than Bill (I clearly don't) and didn't want to have to defend my "lack" of bracing. A brace every 7" seemed excessive to me. If I'm wrong, I have no problem eating crow. Done it more times than I care to admit. Still haven't learned[:o].

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl, I think you are gonna be in great shape flex wise.

We use some crazy stout plywood at work. It is 19 ply approx. 1 1/8" thick. It is used as flooring in shipping containers.

I hope you (and I) are right. The 1/2" ply I'm using is 9 ply and hard as a rock. You can't bend the 5 x 5 sheets like you could regular plywood. There's no give at all.

• Moderators

Looking good [Y]

I love the way you can really see the path that the sound takes with these designs. For not being really big it is a long horn designed into a small shape starting out pretty tight by the driver.

You have to appreciate what a horn does to the sound, the drivers will hardly move to output a large sound with usually less distortion.

So, how many sub builds does this put you at? If I had to build on the floor it would take longer to stand up than it would to secure the panel. Something you may want to consider due to the limited space would be to take an area on an outside wall and hinge a couple of plywood drop panels that can be flat against the wall and off the floor when you're not working but with a couple of pivoting legs would simply drop down for a large work table but could also be set up for a landing table and feed table for your small table saw. I will try and get some pictures and send them to you that show what I'm talking about but I did it for my shop table saw and it allows me to rip anything I want including 4x8 sheets of plywood without any hassle safely, quickly and when I'm done they just fold up and don't take up floor space.

So, how many sub builds does this put you at?

I honestly have no idea.

I will try and get some pictures and send them to you that show what I'm talking about but I did it for my shop table saw and it allows me to rip anything I want including 4x8 sheets of plywood without any hassle safely, quickly and when I'm done they just fold up and don't take up floor space.

Please do!